Great Alternative Use for a Phantom... :)
1701 12 2015-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bymac77
lvl.2
Portugal

Its a hand-held steadycam/dolly system to use your bird on ground shots with ease.
I do a lot of beach restaurant/coffeshop videos for clients, and they love the aerial footage but usually want some interior shots too. And with this little gizmo I only have to carry  the Phantom for both jobs and get great stabilised footage both on aerial AND ground shots.
I can even attach a video light to it.

Let me know what you think

Its a hand-held steadycam/dolly system to use your bird on ground shots with ease.
I do a lot of beach restaurant/coffeshop videos for clients, and they love the aerial footage but usually want some interior shots too. And with this little gizmo I only have to carry  the Phantom for both jobs and get great stabelized footage both on aerial AND ground shots.

I do a lot of beach restaurant/coffeshop videos for clients, and they love the aerial footage but usually want some interior shots too. And with this little gizmo I only have to carry  the Phantom for both jobs and get great stabelized footage both on aerial AND ground shots.

2015-6-1
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

{:2_32:}{:2_40:}{:2_29:}
2015-6-1
Use props
crash1sttime
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

I think i got it the first time, and by the third time it was a little boring, nice idea though.
2015-6-2
Use props
BazzaVMC
lvl.2

Australia

Looks too flimsy and would end up breaking more sooner than later IMHO

...And I definitely wouldn't pay $45.00 (I'm guessing US dollars? Therefore more for Australia)

Until then, if I need to use my Phantom as a steady-cam, nothing that 2 lengths of thin rope or plastic chain, with the ends zip tied to each rotor arm and through a piece of garden hose for a handle wouldn't fix, who cares about aesthetics as long as it gets the job done?
2015-6-2
Use props
crash1sttime
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

BazzaVMC Posted at 2015-6-3 08:59
Looks too flimsy and would end up breaking more sooner than later IMHO

...And I definitely wouldn't ...

Im with you Bazza, nice idea, but it wont be long till everyone with a 3D printer gets onto it and starts producing variants, some maybe better and less flimsy, I did look at the price as im going to Portugal for my holidays soon and liked the idea of it, but like you said some string and some garden hose would work just as well.
2015-6-3
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

Interesting idea.  I am not sure why use this instead of a camera?
2015-6-3
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

I like it - nice simple rig - If others don't get it above, they can go spend $$$ on a pro stabilizer and then I am sure they will understand this idea better
2015-6-3
Use props
BazzaVMC
lvl.2

Australia

crash1sttime Posted at 2015-6-3 16:55
Im with you Bazza, nice idea, but it wont be long till everyone with a 3D printer gets onto it and ...

Yeah, considering that a decent 3D printer would cost half (and up to) the price of what we've spent on our Phantoms and that a 2kg spool of filament is only $50 (AUD), you could make about 15 - 20 similar variants.

2015-6-3
Use props
BazzaVMC
lvl.2

Australia

flydronefly Posted at 2015-6-4 04:31
I like it - nice simple rig - If others don't get it above, they can go spend $$$ on a pro stabilize ...

Why would I buy a "pro stabilizer" when I could use string, (or high-top shoe laces @ $1.50 for that matter) and a 6 inch length of garden hose?

...Or, why don't I just buy my own 3D printer instead?
2015-6-3
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

DroneExpert has been making one of these for a while. It cost more but it appears to be make a little better.
2015-6-4
Use props
Mhook1
lvl.1
United States

man you guys are brutal...give him credit for making something
2015-6-4
Use props
bymac77
lvl.2
Portugal

Hi guys, thank you all for your comments on the product, and for the early purchases.
I'll try to reply to everybody on this thread, please let me know if I missed some questions.
The unit is very sturdy, and once attached to the phantom the snap-on connections get stiff and rigid. If you can brake any piece, I'll substitute it for free, that is how sturdy this is.

Why not get another camera for ground shots? Of course you can. But if you want it stabilized, you have to get a hand-help gimbal too. And the cost of another camera and a hand-help gimbal is high. PLUS.. why not use the perfectly good camera and great gimbal you already have on your Phantom? PLUS.. you don't need to carry any more equipment, just your Phantom and your disassembled ELEPHANTOM. Since I mostly travel by motorcycle, portability is a big plus for me. It fits all on the Phantoms backpack.

Strings and garden hoses? Sure that would kind probably work, a bit flimsy perhaps. No phone/tablet support then, right? AND... how much time do you need to assemble that on location? the ELEPHANTOM assembles in 15 seconds, and snaps on and of in 2 seconds.

Another guys with 3D printers can copy it? Yes they can. That is the problem with good ideas, other people may copy them too. If they can make it better? well maybe they can, or maybe they can't. This unit had a lot of R&D and testing to get to this final stage. A lot of versions came before this one, and a lot of time and material was spent. But if you feel you need to wait for a copy, I won't hold that against you

I made it for me. A lot of aerial video jobs I have, also require some ground shots and this is the best tool I have for this job, it seamed a shame not to put to use the great camera and gimbal that is already pay for on my Phantom.
If you have use for this product too and you welcome my creation, then welcome to the club, lets be friends and make great movies together, and thank you for supporting innovative ideas.
If you don't have a need for this product, I completely understand, we can't please everybody, but we can be friends too. Maybe when you start seeing the movies everybody else makes with it you'll keep an open mind?

Any more questions please let me know! ;)
I'm not being able to get notified of replies to this thread, I don't  know why :S

M.
2015-6-6
Use props
bymac77
lvl.2
Portugal

One of our first customer reviews:
2015-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules