How to hand-catch the Mavic 2 pro (& why)
5514 29 2018-10-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wellsi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I get a lot of comments on how people either always hand-catch or think it's too dangerous to even think about. But sometimes the terrain or surroundings mean landing on the ground won't work. The Mavic 2 Pro & Zoom are big drones at nearly 1Kg, so it helps to know how to if you have to...

Cheers
Ian

2018-10-11
Use props
Harbourside
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Freddy Krueger was a male model before he started hand catching, just saying....lol
2018-10-11
Use props
sinloi
lvl.3

Thanks! Nicely demonstrated. (My dog's bigger, but he still can't reach as high as I can, fortunately.)
2018-10-11
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Harbourside Posted at 2018-10-11 08:00
Freddy Krueger was a male model before he started hand catching, just saying....lol

And just look at his successful career!  
2018-10-11
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>

Great demo, I might even go out back and try it.
2018-10-11
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Nice demo. Thank you for sharing your video with us. Happy flying!
2018-10-11
Use props
fans55ae5496
lvl.4

United States

Ask Enrique Iglesias about his technique - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvsh ... sliced-concert.html

2018-10-11
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Aprreciate your tutorials!
My approach is different - I guess everyone has his way.

I would never land a drone into my hand. I take the drone to a height that is comfortable for me grabbing it, let it hover and then grab it. My first try with the M2P didn't work since I had downward sensors/landing protection on. But I know now how to fool these sensors:
I grab the drone from behind and then move my hand underneath while throttling down.
Before she knows what happened she gives up.
(I know - sounds like Trump talking about women ;-)
2018-10-11
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I think unless your drone is landing on uneven surfaces it's pointless to hand catch a Mavic. I've had plenty of flights and I'd never once had the urge to screw up what would generally be a high probability of success having landed onto the ground. I mean, look how the Mavic is designed with the rubberized stoppers on its front arms, it's not made for hand catching. Even the Spark should properly perform its normal ground landing. I just think the margin of error is higher hand catching so why would anyone attempt it if they didn't have to?
2018-10-11
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-10-11 14:13
I think unless your drone is landing on uneven surfaces it's pointless to hand catch a Mavic. I've had plenty of flights and I'd never once had the urge to screw up what would generally be a high probability of success having landed onto the ground. I mean, look how the Mavic is designed with the rubberized stoppers on its front arms, it's not made for hand catching. Even the Spark should properly perform its normal ground landing. I just think the margin of error is higher hand catching so why would anyone attempt it if they didn't have to?

Very true words. And as I said, it is of course safer & easier to let it land safely on the ground....  Definitely not arguing against that line of thought.  But sometimes the ground is messy, uneven, wet, dusty or just unsuitable, and that's when it's useful to know how to hand catch.
Cheers
Ian
2018-10-11
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Eric13 Posted at 2018-10-11 13:30
Aprreciate your tutorials!
My approach is different - I guess everyone has his way.

Thanks Eric
With the Mavic Pro, half the time I'd grab it and half the time I'd let it land on my flat hand.  The occasional rev up never worried me too much.  The 2 Pro is okay being grabbed every time I find....
Ian
2018-10-11
Use props
Thriller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374337 ft
Italy

Thanks fot the very informative video. You make the same way I do.
2018-10-11
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2018-10-11 22:31
Very true words. And as I said, it is of course safer & easier to let it land safely on the ground....  Definitely not arguing against that line of thought.  But sometimes the ground is messy, uneven, wet, dusty or just unsuitable, and that's when it's useful to know how to hand catch.
Cheers
Ian

Frankly, I generally have reservations about taking off on anything other than a stable, flat surface. Most of the time it shouldn't be an issue to find proper take-off conditions, and I feel when you fail to launch from suitable conditions that's when the problems happen. I like to use Precision Landing with the Mavic Pro, since that's one of the drone's strongest strengths.

What I find to be useful when launching from foreign places where you haven't flown in is to use a landing pad. They make some that can fold and fit in your pocket that you can use to ensure that the drone has little or no underlying obstacles.

I think there is a big issue with hand landing or launching. You never know when the drone might act erratic and those propellers are dangerous and can come into contact with someone's body or face, causing serious or permanent injury. Flying drones requires one to safely plan accordingly, not hand launching or landing is just one less thing you have to worry about.
2018-10-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicely demonstrated.
2018-10-12
Use props
parkgt214
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-10-12 10:58
Frankly, I generally have reservations about taking off on anything other than a stable, flat surface. Most of the time it shouldn't be an issue to find proper take-off conditions, and I feel when you fail to launch from suitable conditions that's when the problems happen. I like to use Precision Landing with the Mavic Pro, since that's one of the drone's strongest strengths.

What I find to be useful when launching from foreign places where you haven't flown in is to use a landing pad. They make some that can fold and fit in your pocket that you can use to ensure that the drone has little or no underlying obstacles.

One shouldn't do it if it makes them worry.  I wondered about it before trying it with the M2.  But now after doing it dozens of times, including in gusty winds I have little concern about things going wrong.

I often end up in spots where a landing pad would not work well.
2018-10-12
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

parkgt214 Posted at 2018-10-12 11:40
One shouldn't do it if it makes them worry.  I wondered about it before trying it with the M2.  But now after doing it dozens of times, including in gusty winds I have little concern about things going wrong.

I often end up in spots where a landing pad would not work well.

If your conditions are not permissible for launching and landing off a pad, such as taking off on a snowy vertical mountain, etc. then hand it would seem hand launching and landing might be your best, if not, only option? I just think that you'll find launching and landing in an unorthodox manner will likely lead to increased risk for complications. If you have no choice but to, then I guess you live by the sword you die by the sword.
2018-10-12
Use props
Gazmg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 195358 ft
United Kingdom

Great vid and information if we ever have to a hand catch...
2018-10-25
Use props
e1darie1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1843084 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I use to catch M1P facing forward, but new M2P won't let me do that. Currently catching from a side, no censors.
2018-10-25
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

e1darie1 Posted at 2018-10-25 11:22
I use to catch M1P facing forward, but new M2P won't let me do that. Currently catching from a side, no censors.

Jump to 3:15 on the video. I've found just having the M2Pro facing towards you is fine. It hovers for a few seconds then descends...
Cheers
Ian
2018-10-26
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Harbourside Posted at 2018-10-11 08:00

Julio Iglesias used to play the guitar before he tried landing an inspire 1 in his hand......
2018-10-26
Use props
Buckeye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29931 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks was wondering how to hand catch the Mavic 2 Pro!
2018-10-27
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome video, I hand catch all my drone except for the Inspire 1for obvious reasons.  Thanks for sharing.
2018-10-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lucas775 Posted at 2018-10-27 14:57
Awesome video, I hand catch all my drone except for the Inspire 1for obvious reasons.  Thanks for sharing.

Agreed    
2018-10-28
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lucas775 Posted at 2018-10-27 14:57

Ha... can't think why
2018-10-28
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

I always hand catch my spark and my Mavic Pro with no issues at all
Heck I even hand catch my Yuneec q500 sometimes;)

Fly safely
Alex
2018-10-28
Use props
psteel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6668671 ft
Australia

Good video. Had an out of control dog try to bite  the drone (M2Pro) tonight whilst it was landing. To protect the dog and the drone, grabbed the drone  when it was on the ground  a fraction of a second before the props fully stopped. Ended up worse off than the idiot dog and it’s owner.

Hand catching an M2 in an emergency is definitely better than slicing your hand.

Having said that, the next time the owner doesn’t care what his dog is doing, maybe I will just let the drone teach it a lesson.

2021-2-9
Use props
psteel
lvl.3
Australia

psteel Posted at 2-9 00:15
Good video. Had an out of control dog try to bite  the drone (M2Pro) tonight whilst it was landing. To protect the dog and the drone, grabbed the drone  when it was on the ground  a fraction of a second before the props fully stopped. Ended up worse off than the idiot dog and it’s owner.

Hand catching an M2 in an emergency is definitely better than slicing your hand.

Good video. Had an out of control dog try to bite  the drone (M2Pro) tonight whilst it was landing. To protect the dog and the drone, grabbed the drone  when it was on the ground  a fraction of a second before the props fully stopped. Ended up worse off than the idiot dog and it’s owner. Hand catching an  M2 in an emergency is definitely better than slicing your hand.
Having said that, the next time the owner doesn’t care what his dog is doing, maybe I will just let the drone teach it a lesson.
2021-2-9
Use props
psteel
lvl.3
Australia

psteel Posted at 2-9 00:15
Good video. Had an out of control dog try to bite  the drone (M2Pro) tonight whilst it was landing. To protect the dog and the drone, grabbed the drone  when it was on the ground  a fraction of a second before the props fully stopped. Ended up worse off than the idiot dog and it’s owner.

Good video. Had an out of control dog try to bite  the drone (M2Pro) tonight whilst it was landing. To protect the dog and the drone, grabbed the drone  when it was on the ground  a fraction of a second before the props fully stopped. Ended up worse off than the idiot dog and it’s owner. Hand catching an  M2 in an emergency is definitely better than slicing your hand. Having said that, the next time the owner doesn’t care what his dog is doing, maybe I will just let the drone teach it a lesson.
2021-2-9
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

Many thanks for showing how to hand catch a Mavic 2 pro. I was always wondering how to take off and land on a wide sandy beach. Great video tutorial. Now I just have to wait for summer to arrive, so I can go out and practise, as we have had down to - 19 deg C for 2 days. Brrrr that´s is cold.
2021-2-9
Use props
Ian in London
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

psteel Posted at 2-9 00:20
Good video. Had an out of control dog try to bite  the drone (M2Pro) tonight whilst it was landing. To protect the dog and the drone, grabbed the drone  when it was on the ground  a fraction of a second before the props fully stopped. Ended up worse off than the idiot dog and it’s owner. Hand catching an  M2 in an emergency is definitely better than slicing your hand. Having said that, the next time the owner doesn’t care what his dog is doing, maybe I will just let the drone teach it a lesson.

No, it's not the dog's fault and it's the dog that will get really hurt.....  You did the right thing....
2021-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules