2248 27 2018-10-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Today after starting the motors I got this warning on my screen, see below.
I found it real funny to be warned about taking of without battery and almost ignored it.
Thought it was just another BS warning like we get so many.

I gave it a second thought and walked towards the drone. I pushed down the battery and heard a tiny 'click'.
I was impressed - yes: The battery was not fully in.

Back home I inserted a battery the same - wrong - way and got that warning again.
See that tiny gap at the back of the battery on 2nd image.
But I was able to take off!

That keeps me wondering:
If the system is so sensitive to detect a non-proper battery sitting - why would it let me take off?

1.jpg
2.jpg
2018-10-12
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

It must be extremely sophisticated to have recognised your first case to start with and might not be able to identify all cases of absence of proper pre flight check and reading the manual. Thus you should better ask yourself if you have sufficiently done your homework before flying... ;-)
2018-10-12
Use props
Hedsic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

oh wow! We can use batteries with the Mavic 2? I've been flying mine without one for a month now.
2018-10-12
Use props
M Stuart K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

Seriously: what do you want the drone to do-handcuff you so you will not fly it?  Its telling you all you need to know and it is up to you to make a wise decision!
2018-10-12
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Hedsic Posted at 2018-10-12 12:17
oh wow! We can use batteries with the Mavic 2? I've been flying mine without one for a month now.

Yes, believe it or not, with battery it is even bigger, better and faster...
2018-10-12
Use props
Thriller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374337 ft
Italy

Thinking to receive that alert when the drone is in the middle of the sea at 5km from you
2018-10-12
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thriller Posted at 2018-10-12 13:22
Thinking to receive that alert when the drone is in the middle of the sea at 5km from you

That's why it's a recommended practice to have a second drone that you can send out and do an in-flight recharge.
2018-10-12
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Consider yourself lucky. I can't imagine the whining if the battery had fallen out mid-flight!
2018-10-12
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-10-12 13:29
That's why it's a recommended practice to have a second drone that you can send out and do an in-flight recharge.

Mid flight recharge! LOL
That’s funny man

Fly safely
Alex
2018-10-12
Use props
Sky Donkey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

Battery and props are probably the first things I check in Pre flights...
2018-10-13
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for the inquiry. I would recommend doing a pre-flight checklist prior to your flight to ensure that everything is properly installed to avoid the incident. Please let us know if you have other concern.
2018-10-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Triple checking that the battery is seated correctly in the drone is up there amongst the most important pre flight checks. I'm looking forward to the day when all drones have battery redundancy fitted as standard as with the Inspire 2 - can't see that happening anytime soon though.  
2018-10-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2018-10-14 14:53
Triple checking that the battery is seated correctly in the drone is up there amongst the most important pre flight checks. I'm looking forward to the day when all drones have battery redundancy fitted as standard as with the Inspire 2 - can't see that happening anytime soon though.

Yes, that would be more safe.
But more expensive and heavy too.
2018-10-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-10-14 21:59
Yes, that would be more safe.
But more expensive and heavy too.

For sure mate - the tech would need to make the batteries lightweight - long time waiting for that I think.
2018-10-14
Use props
Boffin
lvl.4
Australia

Maybe DJI can cover the top of the machines with solar panels for in-flight battery top up. A good reason not to fly at night
Actually, a solar powered field recharging brick could be quite useful (I have one for my phone, the brick charges it's internal battery when it sees the sun) - Plenty of sunlight here in the land of Oz
Maybe not so useful in the U.K.   
2018-10-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-10-14 22:56
For sure mate - the tech would need to make the batteries lightweight - long time waiting for that I think.

I guess so.
About every week we hear about this new tech that will give ..% more efficiency to batteries....
So far the tech does not live up to that promise....
Maybe they are holding it back for us to keep buying more and more
2018-10-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-10-15 00:20
I guess so.
About every week we hear about this new tech that will give ..% more efficiency to batteries....
So far the tech does not live up to that promise....

Hahahahaha - it does appear that way but can you blame them if people are still getting their wallets out
2018-10-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-10-15 01:01
Hahahahaha - it does appear that way but can you blame them if people are still getting their wallets out

We have no choice.
Addicted to getting the latest and greatest.
2018-10-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-10-15 01:55
We have no choice.
Addicted to getting the latest and greatest.

I was but no regrets with my Inspire 1 V2 that was first released in Q4 '15 - kind of nostalgic flying it and love that there is no more FW updates
2018-10-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-10-15 02:48
I was but no regrets with my Inspire 1 V2 that was first released in Q4 '15 - kind of nostalgic flying it and love that there is no more FW updates

Yes, I can imagine you love flying that.
Too big for my walkflow though.
Soon MP1 won't get updates too, so that is sort of nice indeed
2018-10-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-10-15 02:55
Yes, I can imagine you love flying that.
Too big for my walkflow though.
Soon MP1 won't get updates too, so that is sort of nice indeed

They usually do one massive free for all FW update before properly discontinuing a product line - the X3 was massively upgraded on the last FW update. It may be a while before the MP1 is laid up though - they are still selling it on their on line store. Great, classic drone. Probably my favourite travel drone I have owned in retrospect - really made waves back in 2016. Love tech - it turns years into decades LOL
2018-10-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-10-15 03:03
They usually do one massive free for all FW update before properly discontinuing a product line - the X3 was massively upgraded on the last FW update. It may be a while before the MP1 is laid up though - they are still selling it on their on line store. Great, classic drone. Probably my favourite travel drone I have owned in retrospect - really made waves back in 2016. Love tech - it turns years into decades LOL

Yes, I really like my MP.
Since I don't have too much time for flying it is the perfect balance between price, image quality, portability and flight performance.
Especially since I got my hands on a rather cheap 2nd hand FMC that has been replaced by a refurb one.
I essentially got a 'new' bird, the fly more combo and some nice accessories (filterset from PP, tab holder, landing pad, lens hood) for 'just' € 850,-.
So for me the ideal addition to my toolbox and I don't have much plans on upgrading any time soon.
Unless I see a real steal deal on the M2P hahahahahahahaha
2018-10-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-10-15 03:40
Yes, I really like my MP.
Since I don't have too much time for flying it is the perfect balance between price, image quality, portability and flight performance.
Especially since I got my hands on a rather cheap 2nd hand FMC that has been replaced by a refurb one.

I'm a great believer in that the 'best' drone is always the one that suits the majority of your needs. The MP is a quality drone and clearly delivers what you currently need out of the hobby mate. I'm sticking with my I1 for a very long time
2018-10-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2018-10-15 04:57
I'm a great believer in that the 'best' drone is always the one that suits the majority of your needs. The MP is a quality drone and clearly delivers what you currently need out of the hobby mate. I'm sticking with my I1 for a very long time

That is the most sensible approach.
And although I must say I am always tempted to opt for the 'newer' one (not immediately, but after some time), but still with some 'reason' ....
And in this case reason has won from the 'need' to upgrade
2018-10-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-10-15 05:23
That is the most sensible approach.
And although I must say I am always tempted to opt for the 'newer' one (not immediately, but after some time), but still with some 'reason' ....
And in this case reason has won from the 'need' to upgrade

Very sensible mate. Keep your cash and get what you need when you need it.
2018-10-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2018-10-15 07:35
Very sensible mate. Keep your cash and get what you need when you need it.

Hahahahaha.
I just spend all our savings on the house, so that 'keeping' did not work
2018-10-15
Use props
CanonMax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi there...

Something similar happened to me in the beginning using my Mavic Air... it did NOT start nor fly... the latch at the right side wasn't inserted 100% and I noticed a small red stripe... after clicking it in completely all went well. I must say this is a very good security "thing"...
I'm also flying DJI Phantom 4 Pro and (soon...) Mavic 2 Pro...

Take Care - Fly Safe,

(Canon)Max
2018-10-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-10-15 23:00
Hahahahaha.
I just spend all our savings on the house, so that 'keeping' did not work