M2P firmware update problem, drew blood lost a set of blades
1503 29 2018-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
carlhako1
lvl.2

Hi

This is the outcome of me updating to the latest firmware. Prior to this I have over 60 flights logged, 170km and have done many hand landing and manual landing without any problems. The drone flys rock solid and is very predictable with its movements. I am also not new to flying drones but this is my first gps, outdoor drone.

I Lost a set of blades and cut finger, only minor maybe 2mm deep, enough to cause 4 drops of blood onto the ground from front yard to kitchen before washing the cut and applying a band aid.

using a samsung 7 edge with latest app version available to me v4.3.2(666-googleplay)

what happened:
updated firmware on drone via dji assistant on windows 10 via usb c cable.
updated controller firmware via samsung 7 edge
took off, flew upto around 113m.
noticed obstacle avoidance was off, red icon at hte top that is normally green.
tapping the red icon at the top said it was off due to an error or it was in sports mode
controller was in p mode, flicked it to sports mode then back to p mode still the same error
went into the settings (after reaidng this forum prior in the day) changed the left button under to the chinese characters in the menu which toggles obstacle avoidance on/off
turns off without error but when turning it on produces an error about the sensors
flew home manually
as it came down it was aprox 5m away from me so i pushed the sticks forward
the drone lunged at me, i put my hand up to stop it hitting my face, cut my finger fell to the ground, 1 set of blades flew off
they are damaged and need replacing. the rest appear to have 0 damage

I suspect the drone was stuck in sports mode causing the lunge and the reason obstacle avoidance was off. I am going to reinstall the firmware on controller and drone and test it in the morning.

Will upload my flight log and update this thread shortly.

2018-10-13
Use props
carlhako1
lvl.2

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/KZZSHS7EFBSIGIR517GX/
2018-10-13
Use props
carlhako1
lvl.2

Looking at that log im surprised at my reactions. I did tell the drone to back off before it hit me. The drone was facing me, so the last command is me telling it to go backwards.
2018-10-13
Use props
Sky Donkey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

Why do people continually fly over Buildings, people and roads... Then wonder why the hobby has such a bad reputation ? Why didnt you walk to the end of your road and fly over the scrub land...
2018-10-13
Use props
carlhako1
lvl.2

Sky Donkey Posted at 2018-10-13 02:24
Why do people continually fly over Buildings, people and roads... Then wonder why the hobby has such a bad reputation ? Why didnt you walk to the end of your road and fly over the scrub land...

no tips on how to get the firmware working?
Im not here to argue where I can fly, I was just testing the new firmware. Theres no restrictions on flying over buildings just people, its a pretty quiet area im more likely to hit someone down at the park if it falls out of the sky.
2018-10-13
Use props
Goof
lvl.2
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Australia

To be fair, root cause of the crash is 100% pilot error. If the OA isn't working, you need to either fix it before you fly or adjust your flying habits to compensate for lack of OA...

Anyone that's flown "traditional" RC will tell you that flying "nose in" (with the craft facing you) isn't intuitive, and takes a great deal of practice to build the necessary muscle memory to avoid incorrect reactions in situations like this (aircraft flying towards your face)...
EDIT: Seems like it was dark during the flight? OA won't work if the ambient lighting is too dull for the cameras to see anything...
2018-10-13
Use props
carlhako1
lvl.2

I reinstalled the firmware via dji assitance on pc and still no obstacle avoidance. I downgraded to the previous version and instantly obstacle avoidance is working. Definitly seems to be a problem with the latest firmware. Maybe its just using android as all the reports ive seen so far on this forum are android with this issue. I plan on doing some flying tomorrow morning I will experiment more tomorrow afternoon with a IOS device.
2018-10-13
Use props
Mrimstad
lvl.3
Norway

Same issue, will try to grab an ios device and test.

Going back to v01.00.00.00 now, wich i skipped after getting my mavic.
2018-10-13
Use props
Goof
lvl.2
Australia

carlhako1 Posted at 2018-10-13 03:56
I reinstalled the firmware via dji assitance on pc and still no obstacle avoidance. I downgraded to the previous version and instantly obstacle avoidance is working. Definitly seems to be a problem with the latest firmware. Maybe its just using android as all the reports ive seen so far on this forum are android with this issue. I plan on doing some flying tomorrow morning I will experiment more tomorrow afternoon with a IOS device.

Yeah android has always been very flaky for me, both using the Mavic 2 and my older P4...

Ended up buying an iPad mini 4, and the experience has been night and day compared to android. Plus iOS seems to get more regular Go App updates to boot.
2018-10-13
Use props
carlhako1
lvl.2

Goof Posted at 2018-10-13 03:55
To be fair, root cause of the crash is 100% pilot error. If the OA isn't working, you need to either fix it before you fly or adjust your flying habits to compensate for lack of OA...

Anyone that's flown "traditional" RC will tell you that flying "nose in" (with the craft facing you) isn't intuitive, and takes a great deal of practice to build the necessary muscle memory to avoid incorrect reactions in situations like this (aircraft flying towards your face)...

Agree completly pilot error I was behind the sticks and made it move towards me however the drone does not normally behave this way.

it wasnt too dark but see my comments OA was not enabled anyway. I land pretty much every time noze in and adjust where its going to land as it comes in, usually the movement are subtle as it about to land but it just lunged at me completely unexpenced as if it was in sports mode up in the air.
2018-10-13
Use props
carlhako1
lvl.2

Id say normally with OA enabled it behaves differently with objects close. It detects them and throttles back the movements even before it beeps and complains at you that theres a close object. Anyhow not much damage done 2 sets of blades in the end and I cant see any marks on the drone where it hit the ground.
2018-10-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Your log doesn’t show any problems, you were flying in p mode, you did get warning OA not working, I have seen someone reporting elsewhere that after FW OA needs to be reset in some cases.

With regards to drone flying at you, in your log it shows near the end of your log you pushing almost 100% forward and this seems where the accident happened.
When flying drone particularly when in close rang , it’s advisable to always have the drone heading facing away from you, this way you are unlikely to get disoriented with forward back left and right movements. I have seen many make mistakes when trying to fly the drone when it faces them, hope the finger will be ok.
2018-10-13
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12401030 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi carlhako1,

Happy for you that you did not suffer more personal damage!

I consider myself as an experienced drone flyer, but flying in with nose pointing at me...oops it remains tricky.

Your flight was the whole flight in P-GPS mode, not in Sport mode.

Have many safe landings in the future.
cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2018-10-13
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Germany

i see on the map , you are flying near magnetic Island , why is it called magnetic Island? maybe it causes interferences,
2018-10-13
Use props
Goof
lvl.2
Australia

I *think* my old P4 used to actually fly faster in P-mode if you turned off the OA, though I could be completely misremembering. Maybe the Mavic does the same?
2018-10-13
Use props
Viper Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 31644 ft

carlhako1 Posted at 2018-10-13 03:56
I reinstalled the firmware via dji assitance on pc and still no obstacle avoidance. I downgraded to the previous version and instantly obstacle avoidance is working. Definitly seems to be a problem with the latest firmware. Maybe its just using android as all the reports ive seen so far on this forum are android with this issue. I plan on doing some flying tomorrow morning I will experiment more tomorrow afternoon with a IOS device.

I use Android installed in a Samsung Galaxy S9+ and have had absolutely no problems either installing or flying with the latest firmware.  OA also is working as designed.
2018-10-13
Use props
byhead
lvl.3
United States

I have the new M2P.  2 weeks. I wish you writers and posters would declare what FW version and what ASS2 you're using!  Like V2.0.2 now out
as of Oct 11 18.  My rig is fine at .0000 BUT guys going to .0100 are loosing the Obstacle Avoidance completely. WTH?
I even set her up this morning 10-13-18, and got a warning on the phone (iphone( that new FW 0.0100 was available.
Listening to these forums it appears that the FW is BAD....
Little notes from nuubies mostly stating no go.
Uprades goggles RE with ASS2 v1.2.4,, upgrade M2P with Either ASS2 v2.0.0 or 2.0.2  BUT DO NOT FW to .0100 right now. 10-13-18
2018-10-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Goof Posted at 2018-10-13 05:12
I *think* my old P4 used to actually fly faster in P-mode if you turned off the OA, though I could be completely misremembering. Maybe the Mavic does the same?

Your correct, when OA is turned off Aircraft can pitch at a better angle allowing it to fly faster.
2018-10-13
Use props
carlhako1
lvl.2

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-13 10:06
Your correct, when OA is turned off Aircraft can pitch at a better angle allowing it to fly faster.

Im sure this is what happened with OA disabled it now no longer has to process whats around it so it can change direction faster. I will do some landings with OA disabled to get the hang of how it moves with the nose out.

byhead - It doesnt seem to affect everyone dont be scared you can also go back to the previous version. I will do more experimenting today like updating the firmware from my phone instead of using dji assitance and see what happenes.

Thanks for the responses I really need to be more careful when flying leason learnt.
2018-10-13
Use props
carlhako1
lvl.2

dronybaloney Posted at 2018-10-13 04:49
i see on the map , you are flying near magnetic Island , why is it called magnetic Island? maybe it causes interferences,

haha it got the name because aparently it messed with the compass of captain cook
2018-10-13
Use props
carlhako1
lvl.2

Here is a screen recording demonstrating the problem. The menu showing obstacle avoidance turned off and the chinese characters in the settings menu.

I have tried
returning to 000 firmware.
factory resetting the drone via dji assitant 2 v1.2.4 on windows 10
upgrading to v01.00.01.00
factory resetting again

I also tried upgrading hte firmware via my note 8 but It just keeps getting an error about no network connection despite being wifi connected to a NBN fibre to the premesis 100/40 connection. The only way I can get an update to work is via the dji assistant windows 10 program.

To do try an iphone, the problem may be just the app on android and not the drones firmware.
2018-10-13
Use props
carlhako1
lvl.2

Update - its fine. Its now red before you take off, once your in the air it starts working.
I think the fix is just turn OA off and back on and mess around till you get the radar showing. You can see it in my vid.
Once you take off its fine.

I test landed and with OA enabled the drone is very unresponsive and slugish when you tell it to change direction. I landed it bang on my target no cut fingers this time haha.

2018-10-13
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

There's absolutely nothing in the description OR the log that shows the problem is anything other than 100% operator error.  Self inflicted cut fingers.

2018-10-13
Use props
nivong
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2267251 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You should always check your settings before taking off. This to me sounds like some wrong exp setting which happen a lot during firmware updates. Also the way you're flying is asking for trouble.
Future more. If you knew what you were doing this did not happen. After every firmware update:
Calibrate EVERYTING
The firmware updates reinstall the new ROM on the drone that houses everything. The stuff that needs calibibration gets reset to factory defaults. So calibrating should be done to make sure it is 100% correct.
Also relaying on OA is 100% stupid.

Luckly you did not hurt anyone else. Please stop destroying our hobby.
ps expieriend pilots have flown manual and do not use auto take off.

Anyway to help you out so you will not hurt anyone else in the future.
Hook it up to the assistant software, do a factory reset, firmware refresh and again a factory reset.
Recalibrate the VPS like shown in the pictures (do not mess this up!)
Calibrate imu
Calibrate compass
Check values of EXP, senstivity and gains
Disable all sensors
Enable all sensors

Make sure that everyhing is like expected.
2018-10-13
Use props
carlhako1
lvl.2

gnirtS Posted at 2018-10-13 22:10
There's absolutely nothing in the description OR the log that shows the problem is anything other than 100% operator error.  Self inflicted cut fingers.

yeah pretty much. I did not expect the drone to behave differently with a firmware update. I have never flowen with OA disabled and didnt know it would change the flight characteristcs. I would say more flyers then not have flown with OA disabled and know how it amplifies movements during landing.

During the flight I enabled and disabled it so it was not just a setting issue.

Anyway its useless trying prove my point its like arguing with a troll. They have been trolling and have more experience at picking other people apart then most.
2018-10-14
Use props
carlhako1
lvl.2

nivong Posted at 2018-10-13 23:50
You should always check your settings before taking off. This to me sounds like some wrong exp setting which happen a lot during firmware updates. Also the way you're flying is asking for trouble.
Future more. If you knew what you were doing this did not happen. After every firmware update:
Calibrate EVERYTING

ah exp may be screwed interesting. I will def check over all the settings when the next firmware update is rolled out and be very careful on the first flight.

Ive never relied on OA and found it kind of annoying actually. unable to hand land due to a tree behind me. Ill learn how it fly with OA disabled now. It hasnt actually saved me once yet just been more annoying ive been very careful with it so far and generally fly obove all obstacles.
2018-10-14
Use props
fans82a1b561
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18484 ft
United Kingdom

Iv had the same problem with my sensors after the update .how do i get them to wirk again
2018-10-14
Use props
djiuser_khPBpRUvlxSo
New

Sweden

carlhako1 Posted at 2018-10-13 21:37
Update - its fine. Its now red before you take off, once your in the air it starts working.
I think the fix is just turn OA off and back on and mess around till you get the radar showing. You can see it in my vid.
Once you take off its fine.

Hi

I am a new Mavic 2 Zoom owner . I did play around with the menues before updating and saw that the OA was green. Then I updated the drome and controller...and the OA is read but I have the radar in the display and can see that the radar is changing depending my movements.

Did I understand it correctly that you have the same but when you start flying they turn on (turn green)???  As I am a new pilot I just want to make sure it will land safely again on my first flight. Or should I try to downgrade?

THankds
Lars
2018-10-14
Use props
Sato Zoom 2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3172890 ft

I'm reading lots of different experiences with OA.  Checked mine in my garage (it's raining out today) and I had normal green OA on start up with side sensors off.  I took off to hover in Position Mode, then switched to Tripod Mode and then the side sensors turned on..........?
2018-10-14
Use props
Amershaman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12822 ft
United Kingdom

Hi there! I am getting exactly the same problem.  I have just updated the firmware for both my Mavic 2 Zoom and my controller, and now I get a red warning that the obstacle avoidance is disabled.  It says on the controller screen that this may be due to "The switch not being turned on, being in S-Mode, or A Mode, or a hardware failure". I am getting this in S mode and Tripod mode and I definitely have selected Enable forward and Backward sensing.  I am using an Android device (Samsung A3)
2018-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules