2697 16 2018-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KasperGaram
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1049288 ft
Finland

Hey!

Today I was trying to shoot a motion lapse with my 5D Mark IV. I got it working fine. The motion lapse was supposed to take around one hour. After maybe 40 minutes I noticed the camera had stopped taking photos, but the gimbal was still turning. I should be on the latest firmware on both devices.

The 5D4 has a "power off" -function, where it powers off after a certain amount of time of not being used. For me this function is however turned off. If not being used, the camera will however go to standby-mode after 30mins and turn off the LCD screen to save battery.

Now the issue is, with the Ronin-S doing the motion lapse (and I would assume the same applies for a regular time lapse), the Canon 5D mark IV doesn't recognize it is being used. So it will go to standby-mode and stop taking photos. Therefore the motion lapse function on the Ronin-S is fairly useless for anything that takes more than 30 minutes. Is this something that could be fixed with a firmware update? So that the camera actually knows that it is being used and it is not idle? How I ended up doing this is by using the camera's built in time lapse function and just doing the movement with the gimbal, but I think it would be better to just use the Ronin also for triggering the camera, so I wouldn't have to use two separate functions on two devices.

Thanks!
Kasper Garam
2018-10-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Kasper, sorry for the troubles with motion lapse, is it possible to set the standby-mode in Camera Settings or whether the self-standby can be turned off?
You could use the camera's built-in time lapse, but you will need to move the Ronin-S manually, it may be not convenient.
2018-10-14
Use props
KasperGaram
lvl.2
Finland

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-10-14 20:30
Hi Kasper, sorry for the troubles with motion lapse, is it possible to set the standby-mode in Camera Settings or whether the self-standby can be turned off?
You could use the camera's built-in time lapse, but you will need to move the Ronin-S manually, it may be not convenient.

As far as I know, it can't be turned off. There is no setting for it.

The way I solved it was I made the Ronin-S do the motion lapse and the camera use it's built in timelapse mode. Just unplug the cable between the Ronin and the Canon and there is no issue. It would just be more convenient to only use one device for it all.

Also, the Ronin-S's motion lapse "stops" the movement for every shot. As the camera and tje gimbal aren't in perfect sync, this causes a bit of a "stutter" in the time lapse (can be fixed with Warp Stabilkzer though, so not a big deal). Is there a way to make the movement of the Ronin smooth and continuous? Mahbe with the Track-mode, which then does limit me to a certain time.
2018-10-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

KasperGaram Posted at 2018-10-14 23:07
As far as I know, it can't be turned off. There is no setting for it.

The way I solved it was I made the Ronin-S do the motion lapse and the camera use it's built in timelapse mode. Just unplug the cable between the Ronin and the Canon and there is no issue. It would just be more convenient to only use one device for it all.

We have forwarded the issue to our engineers, but we need more info like the current firmware version and a short video of its behavior when it goes to standby mode, your assistance would be appreciated.
2018-10-15
Use props
KasperGaram
lvl.2
Finland

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-10-15 00:23
We have forwarded the issue to our engineers, but we need more info like the current firmware version and a short video of its behavior when it goes to standby mode, your assistance would be appreciated.

Well basically the way the stand-by works is the camera will just stop shooting and turn off the screens, but the Ronin will keep on turning. I can not get a video of it right now and I don't really know if it would help either and I really don't know how I would easily get a video of it
2018-10-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

KasperGaram Posted at 2018-10-15 00:50
Well basically the way the stand-by works is the camera will just stop shooting and turn off the screens, but the Ronin will keep on turning. I can not get a video of it right now and I don't really know if it would help either and I really don't know how I would easily get a video of it

Alright, the issue has been transferred to our engineers for more tests, I will come back to you once there is any update, thanks for your patience.
2018-10-15
Use props
conquistador
lvl.1
Flight distance : 386093 ft
Spain

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-10-15 02:12
Alright, the issue has been transferred to our engineers for more tests, I will come back to you once there is any update, thanks for your patience.

i have the same problem with my 5d mark iv trying to do time lapse or motion lapse... after 12 exposures the camera stops shooting but the gimbal keeps moving. auto turn off settings on the camera are 'off' so this shouldnt be the problem...

was this case solved in any way?

thnx
2019-2-21
Use props
Timm C Photo
New
Flight distance : 623885 ft
United Kingdom

Hi There, was this ever solved? I have the same issue with my Mk 4 only taking 12 frames before stopping, as conquistador said the gimbal keeps moving but the camera gets stuck.

Be great to get a solution.

Ta
2019-2-23
Use props
KasperGaram
lvl.2
Finland

Timm C Photo Posted at 2-23 12:22
Hi There, was this ever solved? I have the same issue with my Mk 4 only taking 12 frames before stopping, as conquistador said the gimbal keeps moving but the camera gets stuck.

Be great to get a solution.

I am not sure. There was a new update that was supposed to fix bugs with the connection between Canon's and the Ronin, so that might have done the trick, but I still haven't had the need to update or try the motion lapse again.
2019-2-23
Use props
Timm C Photo
New
United Kingdom

Thanks KasperGaram. I've just updated to the latest camera and ronin firmware and still getting the issue, I've seen that others have shot motion lapse with success and it's one of the reasons I got the ronin s so I could shoot motion lapse.
2019-2-23
Use props
KasperGaram
lvl.2
Finland

Timm C Photo Posted at 2-23 12:27
Thanks KasperGaram. I've just updated to the latest camera and ronin firmware and still getting the issue, I've seen that others have shot motion lapse with success and it's one of the reasons I got the ronin s so I could shoot motion lapse.

Well that sucks.... But there is a workaround! Just set your Ronin to do the motionlapse, but DO NOT connevt the cable. Then set your 5D to do the timelapse with the same interval settings as the Ronin. This is not ideal, but it works
2019-2-23
Use props
Timm C Photo
New
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-10-15 02:12
Alright, the issue has been transferred to our engineers for more tests, I will come back to you once there is any update, thanks for your patience.

Hi Mindy

Do you know if this was ever solved? I've just got the Ronin s and one of the reasons was to do motion lapse and I'm having the same issues. The 5d mk iv only takes around 12 frames before getting jammed. The Ronin s still moves but the camera stops taking images and the red memory card light stays on, when you take the cable out it sorts it self out. Be good to get a resolution on this.

Thanks

Timm
2019-2-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Timm C Photo Posted at 2-23 12:33
Hi Mindy

Do you know if this was ever solved? I've just got the Ronin s and one of the reasons was to do motion lapse and I'm having the same issues. The 5d mk iv only takes around 12 frames before getting jammed. The Ronin s still moves but the camera stops taking images and the red memory card light stays on, when you take the cable out it sorts it self out. Be good to get a resolution on this.

Hi Timm, sorry for the know the issue still persists, I will report it to our engineers again for attention and keep you updated as soon as possible, thanks.
2019-2-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

conquistador Posted at 2-21 09:33
i have the same problem with my 5d mark iv trying to do time lapse or motion lapse... after 12 exposures the camera stops shooting but the gimbal keeps moving. auto turn off settings on the camera are 'off' so this shouldnt be the problem...

was this case solved in any way?

Hi conquistador, sorry for the troubles, I will verify again with our engineers and keep you posted soon. Please wait patiently, thank you.
2019-2-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Timm C Photo Posted at 2-23 12:27
Thanks KasperGaram. I've just updated to the latest camera and ronin firmware and still getting the issue, I've seen that others have shot motion lapse with success and it's one of the reasons I got the ronin s so I could shoot motion lapse.

Thanks for your patience, I have verified again with our engineers and this issue should have been solved in the latest firmware, since you said the issue persists, any chance to provide us the screenshot of your firmware version in the APP and a short sample video for further analysis? Thank you in advance.
2019-2-24
Use props
pal57
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4236 ft
United Kingdom

I have been racking my brains to solve this for a while. And I have managed to find a solution to this.

The 5D IV's communication settings were on. Usually to transfer files when tethered to a computer usually. Because the USB is connected, it thinks that it's connected to a computer and wants to transfer files so It's holding lots of photos in its cache and can only store a certain amount in memory.

So if you go to MENU > Spanner > 4> Communication Settings
FTP Transfer Settings
and set Automatic Transfer to - DISABLE

It worked for me. I hope it works for you too!

P
2020-8-15
Use props
grettadog
lvl.1
United States

pal57@hotmail.com Posted at 2020-8-15 11:28
I have been racking my brains to solve this for a while. And I have managed to find a solution to this.

The 5D IV's communication settings were on. Usually to transfer files when tethered to a computer usually. Because the USB is connected, it thinks that it's connected to a computer and wants to transfer files so It's holding lots of photos in its cache and can only store a certain amount in memory.

Brilliant!   That is it!   Thank you!
2022-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules