I thought Mavic 2 Pro sensor would detect power line.
8295 60 2018-10-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DanielVieira
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4633533 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

StefanG Posted at 2018-10-16 03:22
I don't agree with you. Resolution is important if you want to crop or do post stabilisation etc etc.

If they video would be a "joke" then of course DJI would respond.

If you watch more videos how to fly or flight pre-checks than pixel pepping you would know that sensors dont detect powerlines...

And IQ of Mavic Air is inferior to M2P, nothing to compare there.
2018-10-16
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Don't rely on sensors. Seen to many crashes with people relying on them. Throw those sensors in the off position and use VLOS and you will be a much better pilot.
2018-10-16
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-10-16
Use props
MagicRide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

StefanG Posted at 2018-10-15 20:28
I agree with you. I just wanted to have the full potential of the 1 inch sensor and better resolution to be able cropping the videos.

I will keep my Air as it it still more pocketable than the M2P. So at times when I travel I will use my Air.

I probably would have kept my MA if I had it because as you say it's a very easy drone to take around and it has a great camera, at least mine did. However the M2P although a bit bigger and heavier is not that bad to take around in a small backpack when traveling or just hiking.
2018-10-16
Use props
Ali3N
lvl.2
Flight distance : 294514 ft
Colombia

Those colors, gorgeous.
2018-10-16
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Very impressive video.
Colors of Fall are so beautiful.

Sorry about the power line mishap. Glad to see no real damage to the M2P
2018-10-16
Use props
StefanG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 47858 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

El Diablo Posted at 2018-10-16 04:30
First of all there's no need to stabilize anything as the Mavic has a 3-axis gimbal. Obviously you might want to crop as you said.

The video is a joke from my perspective as a pro photographer for many reasons.

Well this another view on it. I can se the issue with different focal length etc.
And I have already stated there is a lot I like with the M2P.
Still I am not convinced we get full potential from the M2P. Time will tell.

And I have e fleet of DJI drones and In strong wind conditions I sometimes have had to stabilize the video as it moves . The gimbal usually does a great job but I think you are naive to think the gimbal will fix any situation.

Most of my Hyperlapse is not good enough as the drone move around (and I know we are not talking video here as it is a bunch of stills (where I believe they do a full sensor read out).

I see some of your points and I feel no sense of arguing with you anymore. As I said 1 - I am in general happy with my M2P,  2 - Time will tell if there is a Lineskipping-gate or not (or similar).

2018-10-16
Use props
StefanG
lvl.1
  • >>>
Sweden

DanielVieira Posted at 2018-10-16 04:39
If you watch more videos how to fly or flight pre-checks than pixel pepping you would know that sensors dont detect powerlines...

And IQ of Mavic Air is inferior to M2P, nothing to compare there.

If I want your advice on what videos I should watch I will ask you.
And I have never said the IQ on my spark, my other mavic pro, or my mavic air is better. So get go my back
2018-10-16
Use props
StefanG
lvl.1
  • >>>
Sweden

B1houdini Posted at 2018-10-16 07:12
Very impressive video.
Colors of Fall are so beautiful.

Thank you for feedback. Yes I love the colors. First I thought it would be no good as the sun was not out.

Yes I was clumsy and I was lucky. Especially as drone didn't end up down in the water.
I am happy that Mavic is solid built and takes some beating.
2018-10-16
Use props
StefanG
lvl.1
  • >>>
Sweden

Ali3N Posted at 2018-10-16 07:06
Those colors, gorgeous.

Thank you. Autumn is great to fly in. Sadly a bit short as I would love to do more
2018-10-16
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

2018-10-16
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

First off I have to say this is a mesmerizing video. I like the flying mistakes left in the edit, love the colour enhancement, and love the reflection scene. Second, I want to add my two cents about the M2P camera controversy. Basically the one inch sensor is a 5K sensor, and that means they have to do some reduction to format video at 4K. Nothing wrong with that - Why complain? Also the lens distortion issue, it's a non-issue too. Normal mode processes and fixes color and lens distortion. D-log is meant to need processing and meant for letting the user fix color and distortion. The M2P has both normal, and d-log options. What's the issue?
2018-10-16
Use props
StefanG
lvl.1
  • >>>
Sweden

El Diablo Posted at 2018-10-16 15:44
I don’t see it as arguing, so far our conversation has been very polite.

Please mind that I am not saying that the M2P is not binning or skipping lines, that’s probably a fact. What I am saying is that that test is inconclusive as there’s no real methodology equalizing all factors.  The other critical point is that shooting drones with different digital sharpness levels applied is not really comparable.

Thank you for your reply. I see you have knowledge, and you challenge me to see with more open eyes and I can see that you have some important valid points,
and I also think there is a lot to love about the M2P.

For long time people has been speculating about Phantom 5. And I was prone to wait and see.
Still no-one knows if there ever will be an Phantom 5 or when.
I am overall happy with my M2P.
2018-10-17
Use props
StefanG
lvl.1
  • >>>
Sweden

TrevorSK Posted at 2018-10-16 16:37
First off I have to say this is a mesmerizing video. I like the flying mistakes left in the edit, love the colour enhancement, and love the reflection scene. Second, I want to add my two cents about the M2P camera controversy. Basically the one inch sensor is a 5K sensor, and that means they have to do some reduction to format video at 4K. Nothing wrong with that - Why complain? Also the lens distortion issue, it's a non-issue too. Normal mode processes and fixes color and lens distortion. D-log is meant to need processing and meant for letting the user fix color and distortion. The M2P has both normal, and d-log options. What's the issue?

Thank you so much.
For me the lens distortion in some formats is also a non-issue.
If you are aware about how and why is like that, it is up to everyone to choose recording format, if you are not willing to fix it in post - then choose another format.
2018-10-17
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

2018-10-17
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

2018-10-17
Use props
StefanG
lvl.1
  • >>>
Sweden

El Diablo Posted at 2018-10-17 13:46
Appreciate it, the feeling is mutual.

There will be a P5P for sure and I really hope that they make it foldable also. I am mainly a landscape photographer and I hike a lot to get to the ‘nicer’ places. For me the portability vs image quality ratio on the M2P is just unbeatable. Together with the rest of my gear I have to carry around 5-6Kg all day...

Same hear. I lost some weight when I sold my Canon system and shifted to Sony A7 riii.
And when traveling far out I leave the full frame Sony and bring my RX10 M4.
2018-10-18
Use props
djiuser_emJAS14AhEUo
lvl.1

Excellent presentation.
2019-10-12
Use props
mcbutler
lvl.1

What a beautiful location, where is this?
2019-10-13
Use props
djiuser_rt8Y5XmtCzRt
lvl.1

United States

StefanG Posted at 2018-10-14 10:48
My Mavic Air refused to come in and land on my sailing boat as there where wires from the mast.
Way thinner than the power line.

I wonder if a sideways approach would work since it does not sense laterally  or a hand grab
2019-10-30
Use props
PhantomPhil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44731 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing your video reminding us not to rely on sensors to avoid powerlines but to fly sensibly and carefully at distance to avoid them. There are limitations to technology. Its a pity you didnt read the manual or use common sense.
Just as I have sensors on my SL63 for Distronic Plus, Pre-safe braking and Brake Assist Plus to help identify critical situations, I wouldn't rely on them to prevent me from knocking over a pedestrian or rear-ending another vehicle.
Keep Safe, Fly Safe.

2019-11-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules