Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Why does my video look awful?
1247 14 2018-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
woland
lvl.2
Flight distance : 60240 ft
United Kingdom

Hi
I shot this on my M2P using D-LOG M and the DJI LUT. I shot at 4K HQ 25fps f/2.8 1/50 ISO 100:

I used cinematic mode and very steady control movements. I imported the file from the SD card to FCPX, applied the LUT then exported the master file, manually uploading to YouTube.

The video still looks terrible though? Any suggestions? I've watched so many tutorials and thought I had absorbed everything but I'm still really unhappy with how this looks

2018-10-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi Woland, I think decent enough in my opinion. The only thing caught my attention was the latter part of the video. But you did a good job overall. Thank you for sharing. Have a safe flight always.
2018-10-15
Use props
Zatx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

The Dji LUT makes everything look very orange and you'll need to adjust color settings yourself. Other than the color grade, what is it you think looks bad?
2018-10-15
Use props
woland
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Zatx Posted at 2018-10-15 04:39
The Dji LUT makes everything look very orange and you'll need to adjust color settings yourself. Other than the color grade, what is it you think looks bad?

Hard to describe - the focus feels very soft? I ensured it was set at infinity but it doesn't look great IMHO.

Besides adding some manual adjustments - can you see any other areas I should focus on improving?

Thanks for the feedback
2018-10-15
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-10-15
Use props
woland
lvl.2
United Kingdom

El Diablo Posted at 2018-10-15 05:17
Fly backwards.

Seriously, if you are going to end your video in a specific focus point, fly backwards and reverse the footage in post, it will look smoother and natural, no jerky adjustments.

Exactly what I was looking for - thank you El Diablo. I neglected to mention this was already reversed. I shall try the post processing tweaks and see if I can salvage this clip. Otherwise I shall try your other suggestions next flight - thanks again
2018-10-15
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-10-15
Use props
MagicRide
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

woland Posted at 2018-10-15 04:41
Hard to describe - the focus feels very soft? I ensured it was set at infinity but it doesn't look great IMHO.

Besides adding some manual adjustments - can you see any other areas I should focus on improving?

I had the same problem but the way to change that orange look is to play with the WB. I now shoot no higher than 5400 kelvin. If you use sunny or cloudy the picture will be very warm and give you that fuzzy orange look. Also raise your sharpness to +1. It takes awhile but once you've got your numbers dialed in you will get a beautiful sharp, color balanced picture. However I still think your picture quality is pretty good.
2018-10-15
Use props
woland
lvl.2
United Kingdom

MagicRide Posted at 2018-10-15 07:05
I had the same problem but the way to change that orange look is to play with the WB. I now shoot no higher than 5400 kelvin. If you use sunny or cloudy the picture will be very warm and give you that fuzzy orange look. Also raise your sharpness to +1. It takes awhile but once you've got your numbers dialed in you will get a beautiful sharp, color balanced picture. However I still think your picture quality is pretty good.

Thank you MagicRide - pretty sure I set this to Sunny which corroborates your findings. I'll be sure to try 5400 next time. I'm hoping adjusting the sharpness in post can save this footage :-)

Thanks again
2018-10-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Enhance the definition in post a little but overall I think it looks good.
2018-10-15
Use props
M Stuart K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks out of focus to me.
2018-10-15
Use props
Squashpile
lvl.4
Flight distance : 214019 ft
United States

Something looks off to me too. Focus or noise. I'll check it again on a 4k monitor later, but that does not look good.
2018-10-15
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Looks out of focus on my 4k monitor. Did you use AFC or MF!

Try following this video for perfect fixed focus with the MP2

2018-10-15
Use props
woland
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi

I used MF set to infinity - not sure what I did wrong with that - will have a look at the video.

I have tried adjusting the sharpness, white balance, and contrast and here's the result - still feels wrong though

2018-10-15
Use props
woland
lvl.2
United Kingdom

M2Wair Posted at 2018-10-15 10:57
Looks out of focus on my 4k monitor. Did you use AFC or MF!

Try following this video for perfect fixed focus with the MP2

I suspect I didn't reduce a stop away from infinity as shown in this video. I should have checked focus peaking better but I'll know for next time
2018-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules