Anyone traveled with South African airline Kulula and MavicA?
1270 11 2018-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hoeonthemove
lvl.1
Flight distance : 121 ft
France

Hello everyone,

I'm 5 days away from my first trip to South Africa with my newly-bought Mavic Air and so excited to go... but I checked with Kulula Airlines about their regulation regarding carrying drones... and their website doesn't mention them or their batteries as dangerous items. I called for confirmation that everything's OK and then the agent told me that drones were totally forbidden on their flights!!!

Has anyone ever traveled with them with a drone? I'm divided : should I still try and go..? because after all, the safety controls before boarding are not operated by airlines but by airport staff and most airlines accpet drones as long as their batteries are out and in lipobags (mine are). I was also thinking of bringing a printout of their website page NOT mentioning drones and batteries as dangerous items. My only solution would be to send my Mvic back home by mail... gives me the shivers just to think about it..
Has anyone had any experience?
Thx

2018-10-15
Use props
kab123
lvl.2
Flight distance : 113258 ft
South Africa

Sorry I cannot give you a answer as I have not yet tried to take my drone on a flight with them.

I do however find it strange that they won't allow it.

https://www.facebook.com/iflykulula

Maybe ask on their facebook page. You'll probably get more answers from customers there.

Note that drones are banned in national parks for obvious reasons.
2018-10-15
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

I flew locally with them and when I asked them their only issue was that the battery is not on the drones, in a fire proof housing and fully discharged.
2018-10-15
Use props
hoeonthemove
lvl.1
France

kab123 Posted at 2018-10-15 04:19
Sorry I cannot give you a answer as I have not yet tried to take my drone on a flight with them.

I do however find it strange that they won't allow it.

Thanks for your reply. I didn't think of writing them on FB but I will. And yup I know about national parks, totally understandable and i'll stay on the obedient side !
2018-10-15
Use props
hoeonthemove
lvl.1
France

Suren Posted at 2018-10-15 06:21
I flew locally with them and when I asked them their only issue was that the battery is not on the drones, in a fire proof housing and fully discharged.

Thanks a lot for your reply, it comforts me in my intention of getting more information and going for it. When was your flight? Recently?
Anyway, this local flight will be the one taking us back to Jo'Burg before heading back for France, so I'll make sure my batteries are down, if that can help.
2018-10-15
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

hoeonthemove Posted at 2018-10-15 07:46
Thanks a lot for your reply, it comforts me in my intention of getting more information and going for it. When was your flight? Recently?
Anyway, this local flight will be the one taking us back to Jo'Burg before heading back for France, so I'll make sure my batteries are down, if that can help.

I flew around mid year
2018-10-15
Use props
hoeonthemove
lvl.1
France

Suren Posted at 2018-10-15 07:53
I flew around mid year

Ok. Anyway, i'll ask on FB, just to see if I get some new feedback from Kulula or other travelers and I think i'll give it a try... thx for sharing
2018-10-15
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

hoeonthemove Posted at 2018-10-15 07:59
Ok. Anyway, i'll ask on FB, just to see if I get some new feedback from Kulula or other travelers and I think i'll give it a try... thx for sharing

2018-10-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. If the policy in that specific airport would allow you to bring the drone and the battery then there should not be any problems when traveling in South Africa. Hopefully, you'll get the best recommendation who had experience bringing the drone in this airport. Thank you for the support.
2018-10-15
Use props
hoeonthemove
lvl.1
France

So I just got a reply from Kukula on FB : drone OK as long as the batteries are disconnected and in my cabin bag. Problem solved. Thx for your help!
2018-10-16
Use props
kab123
lvl.2
Flight distance : 113258 ft
South Africa

Awesome. Post your footage when the trip is over!
2018-10-16
Use props
hoeonthemove
lvl.1
France

kab123 Posted at 2018-10-16 10:49
Awesome. Post your footage when the trip is over!

sure will ;-)
2018-10-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules