5982 83 2018-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Roundhouse_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13228 ft
Switzerland

Hi,

Since i installed the new firmware my Mavic Air starts to slowly yaw and drift. ive had every firmware from the start and never had any problems, now after fw 500 suddenly it starts drifting and a slow yaw. even with no wind and 15 sats and no input on from the controller.

anyone else has this problem. its not that i cant compensate while flying it just makes me worry when a drone is in the air and does movements on its own
2018-10-15
Use props
DronEnthusiast
lvl.2
Flight distance : 282589 ft
Greece

i have this problem since 0400 update...... i updated too 5 days ago but the yaw and drift is still there...... they didnt seems to fixed that.
2018-10-15
Use props
kovat53
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324521 ft
Hungary

Mine too, yaw & drifting as well (400 & 500).
What, if I don't see MA itself and video lags? I dare flying my MA if I can see it.
(All of us from CE territory, maybe here is some correlation????????)

2018-10-15
Use props
Roundhouse_
lvl.3
Switzerland

kovat53 Posted at 2018-10-15 06:02
Mine too, yaw & drifting as well (400 & 500).
What, if II don't see MA itself and video lags? I am dare flying my MA if I can see it.

it also renders things as panorama and long exposures useless cause the aircraft doesnt stay still,  also quickshots like a drone sometimes has a yaw turn in them.

very scary indeed to fly this drone not knowing what will happen.  i have this drone since it came out and this is the first time that i do not trust the drone anymore
2018-10-15
Use props
kovat53
lvl.4
Hungary

Roundhouse_ Posted at 2018-10-15 06:06
it also renders things as panorama and long exposures useless cause the aircraft doesnt stay still,  also quickshots like a drone sometimes has a yaw turn in them.

very scary indeed to fly this drone not knowing what will happen.  i have this drone since it came out and this is the first time that i do not trust the drone anymore

I bought it AFAIR in february, so I  trusted in Dji's forthcoming bird. Now it starts to become a nightmare sometimes. Come on Dji, please consider us and give us a chance to fly for amusement, that's why  we bought your very skilled drone.
2018-10-15
Use props
davide.it
lvl.2
Italy

Mine to is drifting with #.500. Never hat that issue before!
2018-10-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience. I would recommend restoring factory defaults and refresh the firmware using the DJI assistant 2. You can re-calibrate the IMU and compass of your drone upon using the DJI Assistant 2 to see if there will be changes on the flight. Please keep us posted on the latest progress.
2018-10-15
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-10-15 14:32
Hi, sorry for the inconvenience. I would recommend restoring factory defaults and refresh the firmware using the DJI assistant 2. You can re-calibrate the IMU and compass of your drone upon using the DJI Assistant 2 to see if there will be changes on the flight. Please keep us posted on the latest progress.

Tony,

Please spare us the patronizing and clueless attitude / responses!

This issue has been around since even 0300 firmware, and really became an issue with 0400, and it seems has made it worse for many on 0500, myself included! My Air now flies as if it were drunk, even after recalibrating every system 2 times or more!

There have been DOZENS of threads even here started, countless logs, videos, technical data posted publicly for DJI to review and use to develop a fix! Instead, we get the same mindless “oh just reset your drone” BS responses and still no fix!

Your latest 0500 firmware fixed multiple issues almost no one here experienced, but failed to address the ones we’ve been vocal about for MONTHS! This is just more evidence DJI doesn’t listen to its customers, and we deserve to be heard!
2018-10-15
Use props
Rockyraaccoon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 982382 ft
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-10-15 18:25
Tony,

Please spare us the patronizing and clueless attitude / responses!

I too noticed unwelcomed yaw and funky imu alerts after updating to .500 . I reset to factory defaults and reinstalled .500 using DJI Assistant and it seems to have fixed the problem for now. At least it didnt show any problems of drift and yaw during my test flight. We'll see how it works tomorrow when I'm putting the bird to work on the river.
2018-10-15
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 633901 ft
Canada

Issue for me as well but has been an issue since .400 FW update.  Can't believe they didn't fix this with .500.  It's scary when the bird moves all by itself!  Incase anyone asks; yes I've recalibrated everything at least twice and refreshed the firmware and did factory resets.  This works for a couple of flights but the issues eventually return.
2018-10-15
Use props
Gwerdi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 83953 ft
Switzerland

I noticed a slightly drift of my mavic air too lately when I tried to take a long exposure photo by night. It was just a slowly drift but enough to mess up the photo.
2018-10-15
Use props
Mavic Dave
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41161 ft
United Kingdom

This has been happening to me since I upgraded to .500.  On a separate thread I have been corresponding with DJI Thor regarding it.  On Sunday, I re calibrated the Compass, RC  and IMU.  I also adjusted the Yaw settings to what I had before the upgrade (there are various video's on this, to obtain a smoother response).  The upgrade seems to reset previous settings.

Anyway, I flew one battery yesterday and everything was fine.  Obviously I will continue to monitor it.
2018-10-16
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tomsbird Posted at 2018-10-15 21:20
Issue for me as well but has been an issue since .400 FW update.  Can't believe they didn't fix this with .500.  It's scary when the bird moves all by itself!  Incase anyone asks; yes I've recalibrated everything at least twice and refreshed the firmware and did factory resets.  This works for a couple of flights but the issues eventually return.

Did you hold your tongue right and cross your fingers during the "Restore/Refresh/Re-calibrate" procedure offered as remedy by our DJI friend?

Seriously, no other drone I know of has been so fickle and required the owner to jump through so many hoops just to make it fly like it's supposed to.  This crap will never get fixed, it appears.
2018-10-16
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 633901 ft
Canada

WayneMHK Posted at 2018-10-16 07:18
Did you hold your tongue right and cross your fingers during the "Restore/Refresh/Re-calibrate" procedure offered as remedy by our DJI friend?

Seriously, no other drone I know of has been so fickle and required the owner to jump through so many hoops just to make it fly like it's supposed to.  This crap will never get fixed, it appears.

Agreed.  I've had a Phantom Pro for 3 years with zero issues and multiple FW updates so I was confident upgrading my Mavic Air from .300.  Big Mistake.  It's a telling story when the existing FW Poll on this Forum indicates that more than 40% have not upgraded to the resent FW.  Obviously they believe that it is too risky to move off their current FW.
I just don't understand why DJI won't fix this since it has been well documented and communicated to their engineers.  Edison, on this thread, has done a great job analyzing his and others flight recorders to document the uncontrolled stick movements to DJI yet still no action!
2018-10-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Tomsbird Posted at 2018-10-17 08:34
Agreed.  I've had a Phantom Pro for 3 years with zero issues and multiple FW updates so I was confident upgrading my Mavic Air from .300.  Big Mistake.  It's a telling story when the existing FW Poll on this Forum indicates that more than 40% have not upgraded to the resent FW.  Obviously they believe that it is too risky to move off their current FW.
I just don't understand why DJI won't fix this since it has been well documented and communicated to their engineers.  Edison, on this thread, has done a great job analyzing his and others flight recorders to document the uncontrolled stick movements to DJI yet still no action!

I think you are looking at the poll with a very jaundiced eye, if you read another way, 42% say they will wait until poll has finished to update, the rest of the poll reads , over 50% have said it is better than .400 , 37% of those have said it’s the best FW to date, leaving 5% unhappy.
You will also know that Yaw drifting has been reported here on this forum since .300, also a lot of other problems have been solved as well as some being put down to devices been used.

If it was my Mavic Air and still under warranty, I would start a case return drone for repair, I think since .500 there have been a lot less problems with Mavic Air.
2018-10-17
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 795653 ft

I’m one of the 37% with absolutely no issues at all. I would suggest, therefore that this demonstrates that the FW .0500 works perfectly. Have those of you that have yaw issues considered the possibility that you have hardware issues and should maybe open a case with DJI for your drones to be returned for investigation?
2018-10-17
Use props
ZEAL_08
New
Flight distance : 22454 ft
Philippines

Mavic Dave Posted at 2018-10-16 01:07
This has been happening to me since I upgraded to .500.  On a separate thread I have been corresponding with DJI Thor regarding it.  On Sunday, I re calibrated the Compass, RC  and IMU.  I also adjusted the Yaw settings to what I had before the upgrade (there are various video's on this, to obtain a smoother response).  The upgrade seems to reset previous settings.

Anyway, I flew one battery yesterday and everything was fine.  Obviously I will continue to monitor it.

Hi @Mavic Dave,

Good day!

Can you show us your yaw settings?a

Thanks!
2018-10-17
Use props
hugoleveille
lvl.2
Flight distance : 370174 ft
Canada

Thank god I am not alone. In this video, control was straight ahead. But drone is drifting to the right since .500

2018-10-17
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2103150 ft

Of course, it's not just the Mavic Air... but the Mavic Pro too, as I reported back in December 2017 in the thread, "New (Replacement) Mavic Pro Rotates/Slides with No Controller Input". Even that thread wasn't the first. There's another thread that started a year before mine! DJI has done NOTHING to fix this problem.
2018-10-17
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

I noticed this with my remote doing a yaw right input on throttle down. The issue may be with the remote but honestly im not sure. Ill keep testing.
2018-10-17
Use props
kovat53
lvl.4
Hungary

davide.it Posted at 2018-10-15 11:00
Mine to is drifting with #.500. Never hat that issue before!

Hi Dji Tony,

I have done everything as you suggested (reinstalling every fw thru Assistant 2, plus scratch install of Dji Go 4.  I calibrated IMU, Compass.)  After i flow three batteries, about 45 minutes. The first take off was scary, brought 45  degree turn at the first moment, but after it seemed everything OK. I didn't fly too far (CE), about 300 meters, and 120 meters high. I try to fly more ASAP.
Thank you
2018-10-18
Use props
davide.it
lvl.2
Italy

My drifting issues come from the remote controller; I saw during sticks calibration that some signals come from the right stick even without touching them. I confirm that flying the MA with my iphone all is well an smooth as usual. Downgraded the remote controller to .400 firmware it seems better. To be confirmed with more tests
2018-10-18
Use props
Roundhouse_
lvl.3
Netherlands

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 2018-10-17 13:17
I’m one of the 37% with absolutely no issues at all. I would suggest, therefore that this demonstrates that the FW .0500 works perfectly. Have those of you that have yaw issues considered the possibility that you have hardware issues and should maybe open a case with DJI for your drones to be returned for investigation?

i too was one of those people who never had any trouble and then came 0.500. since this update i started to experience problems. never had any problems befores, never had any crash accident or what so ever  so i can safely rule out hardware problems.

now even when i try to use a simple dronie shot it suddenly yaws (with no wind present) half way . For a 1000 euro drone i am very dissapointed
2018-10-18
Use props
BobDoLe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 763094 ft
United States

hugoleveille Posted at 2018-10-17 14:40
Thank god I am not alone. In this video, control was straight ahead. But drone is drifting to the right since .500

Drifting drone

wow.. ive noticed mine doing that too. i assumed it was a compass issue or something
2018-10-18
Use props
Ulysses Paiva
lvl.4
Flight distance : 573310 ft

I noticed that on day 1 after I updated. Thought initially it was due to the wind. Recalibrated everything, including the sticks, and it still happens now and then.
2018-10-18
Use props
Vidjcb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13565328 ft
  • >>>
United States

So you guys recommend me not upgrade yet?
2018-10-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Vidjcb Posted at 2018-10-18 12:22
So you guys recommend me not upgrade yet?

Upgrade from what ?, now Yaw drift is being reported in .300, .400, .500, and dji has made no mention of it either been a problem or providing a fix for it.

I’m just totally amazed at those complaining, and yet they all carry warranty, some say it’s FW .300 problem, some say it was .400 and now they are saying it’s .500.

The vast majority of users are flying without problems, so if you are having a problem why wait, surely the simplest solution is to return your drone for replacement or repair, it took almost 5 months for last FW update, so if your complaining that FW is the problem, are you prepared to wait another 5 months in the hope that your drone gets fixed.
2018-10-18
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-18 13:13
Upgrade from what ?, now Yaw drift is being reported in .300, .400, .500, and dji has made no mention of it either been a problem or providing a fix for it.

I’m just totally amazed at those complaining, and yet they all carry warranty, some say it’s FW .300 problem, some say it was .400 and now they are saying it’s .500.

I fully agree with you dear friend but yet, it will unfortunately be the same story again after each future firmware upgrade... No matter what it is, it will automatically be attributed to the new firmware. Unfortunately I have no idea how these most of the time wrong perceptions could be better addressed in order to solve the issues...
2018-10-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-10-18 13:59
I fully agree with you dear friend but yet, it will unfortunately be the same story again after each future firmware upgrade... No matter what it is, it will automatically be attributed to the new firmware. Unfortunately I have no idea how these most of the time wrong perceptions could be better addressed in order to solve the issues...

What you are both saying is nearly 11% of Mavic Air drones need to be sent in for service because drones hardware defects brought out by latest firmware updates.

1% failure rate is considered bad.  Failure rate over 10x that is terrible.
2018-10-18
Use props
PioneerXi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 381772 ft
United States

Ulysses Paiva Posted at 2018-10-18 12:03
I noticed that on day 1 after I updated. Thought initially it was due to the wind. Recalibrated everything, including the sticks, and it still happens now and then.

Greetings,

New Mavic Air owner of...49 days.

I received the MA with the previous FW version and flew (briefly) without any issues.

After updating, I'm watching the MA and thinking that it's my stick control that's causing the drift and yaw.  The forums have provided me with some guidance, but I'm reassessing my purchase based upon a lot of continual  "re-calibration" for a brand new out of the box flyer.

I haven't even crashed my MA yet, but with the FW update, it can't be too far away. I purchased DJI Care Refresh thinking that I would be the root cause of any drone misadventures.

I had not expected that the manufacturers software would be the root cause.

If this can happen to me, how many other first purchasers are going to be off put on a DJI purchase if the manufacturers software is faulty?
2018-10-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

PioneerXi Posted at 2018-10-18 18:23
Greetings,

New Mavic Air owner of...49 days.

Show me one crash on this forum caused by FW update.
2018-10-18
Use props
Roundhouse_
lvl.3
Switzerland

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-18 13:13

totally amazed??!

yeah me too, for buying a 1000 euro drone that worked perfectly fine until recent update! i also had zero problems before, it seems highly unlikely that is is not 500 firmware that is the culprint for me. Just because you dont have any problems doesnt mean someone else cant have them
2018-10-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Roundhouse_ Posted at 2018-10-19 00:57
totally amazed??!

yeah me too, for buying a 1000 euro drone that worked perfectly fine until recent update! i also had zero problems before, it seems highly unlikely that is is not 500 firmware that is the culprint for me. Just because you dont have any problems doesnt mean someone else cant have them

Look while I may take a pragmatic view, I do so from experience, if you take those who had problems with Yaw drift on .400, they waited 5 months for a FW fix, with many .500 helped and overall.500 has been good for most, so that now leaves those now on .500 having Yaw problems, are they best advised to wait what could be another 5 months for a fix, which as we have seen no fix for all in .300, .400, .500, and if it were the case of 5 months (which is not unusual for FW update) then we are now faced with the fact that many waiting will now be out of warranty, so little or no comeback if no fix comes in next FW update.
Yes many will say that FW needs to be rushed through for those having problems now, but the reality is much different, FW fix doesn’t and won’t come quick, others here will say it should and that’s fine, but it’s not going to happen the way things are now.
So how do you make dji realize that they can no longer allow customers to put up with problems with their aircraft.
Well you can come on this forum complain whinge moan throw your toys out of the pram, and then wait 5/6 months hoping for a fix that may never come, and believe me you will get plenty of support from both those with no interest in MavAir and those genuinely having problems with their Mavic Air. Or you can simply create a ticket send your drone back and tell dji that you want a drone that works like the majority of MavAir already flying out there. This approach will also have a much more impact on how dji both treat FW updates and how they treat their customers.
This process is available to you and others under warranty, you can choose to wait or be progressive that’s up to you.
2018-10-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Glad others have come around to idea of mass return to DJI of drones that have problems as result of FW updates.  Yes, you stand a chance of getting back a drone that has new set of problems, but send it back too.  Sooner or later you will get lucky.

If nothing else a mass return, might get DJI Corporate to take a look at what is wrong with their drone FW update process.  A problem DJI knows about, given DJI's repeated suggestions of trying a FW Refresh.  Might also get DJI Corporate to realise they have Hardware problems being brought forth by Firmware updates.  Leading to improved QA of parts used to make drones (and RCs, and CrystalSkys).

Unlike some, I do see value in reporting FW update problems, FW update induced problems, and problems which were not resolved by latest FW, in posts here at DJI forums.  It does alert others as to problems, perhaps keeping them from needlessly wasting their time.
2018-10-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Roundhouse_ Posted at 2018-10-19 00:57
totally amazed??!

I think it’s fair to say I have always been consistent in the advice I offered, I also have a strong interest in Mavic Air as I own one, my advice was shot down the last time, seems common sense might be prevailing.

2018-10-19
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-19 02:52
Look while I may take a pragmatic view, I do so from experience, if you take those who had problems with Yaw drift on .400, they waited 5 months for a FW fix, with many .500 helped and overall.500 has been good for most, so that now leaves those now on .500 having Yaw problems, are they best advised to wait what could be another 5 months for a fix, which as we have seen no fix for all in .300, .400, .500, and if it were the case of 5 months (which is not unusual for FW update) then we are now faced with the fact that many waiting will now be out of warranty, so little or no comeback if no fix comes in next FW update.
Yes many will say that FW needs to be rushed through for those having problems now, but the reality is much different, FW fix doesn’t and won’t come quick, others here will say it should and that’s fine, but it’s not going to happen the way things are now.
So how do you make dji realize that they can no longer allow customers to put up with problems with their aircraft.

Excellently summarised and nothing to add, thank you very much!
2018-10-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Nice to see my earlier common sense suggestion is being built-upon.  

Common-Sense.jpg

When DJI product becomes a Brick due to firmware Update; you send it to DJI to un-Brick. DJI gets slammed with Bricks, somebody at DJI is going to get off pot and take action.
2018-10-19
Use props
Dalford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 619846 ft

If you were not having these issues at 0.400 but are now having them at 0.500 why don’t you just roll back to 0..400 until this is resolved?
2018-10-19
Use props
JerryS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 222897 ft
Maldives

refresh the firmware of drone and rc
2018-10-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dalford Posted at 2018-10-19 20:23
If you were not having these issues at 0.400 but are now having them at 0.500 why don’t you just roll back to 0..400 until this is resolved?

But you don’t realize, rather than do something like you suggested or ship back their drone, it seems they are prepared to wait around and hope a miracle happens.
2018-10-20
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules