Uncommanded YAW - Video and Flight Log - Will DJI respond?
1685 12 2018-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
zguy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243796 ft
United States

Very tired of DJI not addressing this issue affecting multiple users.

Short video showing rapid yaw to left after takeoff and then drifting to right.  There was no yaw input from the controller at any time.

Flight log:

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... PR6AVGQh9-kp7rg-PoI

Screen cap showing yaw with no controller input:
Capture.JPG

DJI, please reply with the current status of this issue.

2018-10-15
Use props
nixuspix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Have started to get similar Yaw recently. No drift at all. I am on 0500. This yaw never was on 0400 and did not started from the very first flight after update to 0500, but only some flights later.
But this yaw is only after take off and only once, then everything is OK
2018-10-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

While your saying dji should do something about this, maybe you should look at it from a different angle, maybe get your aircraft checked out, send it in for a warranty issue with Yaw problem. I think if this was a problem with FW/SW it would have been sorted by now. Also the vast majority of Mavic Air don’t have this problem. I know if this was my craft, I wouldn’t sit around waiting for a FW update to sort this problem, FW has come and gone, might be time to try a different approach.
2018-10-15
Use props
Ben Foong 4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2292352 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

But alot of ppl have had similar problems . I tried recalibrating the controller , imu and the compass to no avail and I’m thinking of taking my air with me to malaysia next month (mavic pro 2 being too heavy and lacking a decent travel storage bag) and I dont want to lose my fav travel drone due to such errors
2018-10-15
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

OMG, this might have well just been taken with my MA, it’s now doing the EXACT same thing on 0500, but even more pronounced!
2018-10-15
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 633901 ft
Canada

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-10-15 18:29
OMG, this might have well just been taken with my MA, it’s now doing the EXACT same thing on 0500, but even more pronounced!

Yup, this is exactly what mine does too!
2018-10-15
Use props
zguy
lvl.4
United States

Update-
Following the advice in other threads, I restored factory defaults and refreshed the firmware to 0.0500 using the DJI assistant 2.   Performed IMU and compass calibrations.
On the first flight there was no change in the yaw behavior from my original post.

I have both the phone and drone flight logs available if DJI is willing to analyze and report the root cause of this yaw issue.
2018-10-19
Use props
Dalford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 619846 ft

I have the same issue but it only occurs while performing a precision take off.  It only occurs once, a ~30 degree fast yaw ccw.  No other issues after that.  I did a non-precision take off with no yaw issues but the MA only rises about 4-5’ when doing that where it rises much higher in precision.  I’m not sure you need a precision take off in most cases.  If your MA is doing a RTH you will be there, in most cases, to take over and land it and if not it will land pretty close.

I don’t worry about and I don’t think you should either if that is the only issue you are having at take off.  Take your drone on your trip and enjoy it.

You can also just do a manual take off.  Both sticks down/left to start motors.  Then just full up on left stick to take off.  See if you still have yaw?
2018-10-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

zguy Posted at 2018-10-19 17:34
Update-
Following the advice in other threads, I restored factory defaults and refreshed the firmware to 0.0500 using the DJI assistant 2.   Performed IMU and compass calibrations.
On the first flight there was no change in the yaw behavior from my original post.

Is it only happening with precision take off ?
2018-10-20
Use props
zguy
lvl.4
United States

Dalford Posted at 2018-10-19 20:15
I have the same issue but it only occurs while performing a precision take off.  It only occurs once, a ~30 degree fast yaw ccw.  No other issues after that.  I did a non-precision take off with no yaw issues but the MA only rises about 4-5’ when doing that where it rises much higher in precision.  I’m not sure you need a precision take off in most cases.  If your MA is doing a RTH you will be there, in most cases, to take over and land it and if not it will land pretty close.

I don’t worry about and I don’t think you should either if that is the only issue you are having at take off.  Take your drone on your trip and enjoy it.

Interesting observation.  I always take off "manually" and do note the initial left yaw.  Just tested by manual take off and flying around at low altitude before ascending to 150' and trying a "straight line" test with elevator only.  The big left yaw was not present, but it still had yaw drifting to the right with no input.  

DJI - Still waiting for a response and analysis of the log files........
2018-10-20
Use props
djiuser_xLE6O03jcrPU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1198346 ft
Romania

I have the same ccw yaw problem and sometimes bonus drift to right . Please don t ask about calibration ...

2018-10-20
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

So, I have this issue as well but have deduced that the controller is the issue. Is there a way for me to refresh/downgrade its firmware or should I open a case?
2018-10-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

djiuser_xLE6O03jcrPU Posted at 2018-10-20 15:20
I have the same ccw yaw problem and sometimes bonus drift to right . Please don t ask about calibration ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmzvbD0LvO4

Please don t ask about calibration ...

You need to try calibrating.
(As you requested, I didn't ask.)

2018-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules