Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic 2 Firmware update disables obstacle avoidance in Android
12Next >
15251 60 2018-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Amershaman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12822 ft
United Kingdom

I have just updated the firmware on my Mavic 2 Zoom  and also on the controller, and I have found that the obstacle  avoidance is now disabled.  There is a separate thread where someone is  reporting this as a cause of crashing his drone, but most discussion is just abusing him for his flying rather than taking on board what appears to bea serious  problem with the new firmware.

After I noticed this problem I went through all the settings in the Go 4  app, but I cannot find any reason for this problem.  As you can see  below, the app clearly shows Obstacle Avoidance is disabled, even though  it is enabled lower down.  And before you ask, this is not occurring  because it is in Sports mode.  It's happening in P mode and also in  Tripod mode

This is happening with an android device (Samsung A3).  I have tried  another Android device and the same problem occurs.  But with my iPad  the sensors are shown as operating normally.

Disabled Obstacle Avoidance in Andoid

Disabled Obstacle Avoidance in Andoid

With Android, the radar does not appear on the main screen either - which would seem to confirm that the sensors are really deactivated.  I am a newbie so I will not be flying my expensive toy towards any obstacles to test this

2018-10-15
Use props
Harbourside
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Exactly the same problem here from a never flown Zoom.
On another thread some bright sparks say that its like that until you take off, which I find hard to believe, but the weather has been too wet and windy to try.

2018-10-15
Use props
Amershaman
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Harbourside Posted at 2018-10-15 07:21
On another thread some bright sparks say that its like that until you take off, which I find hard to believe, but the weather has been too wet and windy to try.

Mine has been flown quite a bit, but this problem only appeared after the firmware update.  

In the thread 'M2P firmware update problem, drew blood lost a set of blades' someone says that rolling back the update fixed the issue.

This really needs a response from DJI because it seems to be a firmware issue

I won't be flying again until I can get out in a wide open space on a calm dry day to work out just what is going on. I am not confident it's even safe to fly using my iPad
2018-10-15
Use props
4ty.gr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 144757 ft
Greece

same problem on samsung s9
dji should fix it as soon as possible
I think I will do a firmware downgrade and wait and dji fix the problem
2018-10-15
Use props
4ty.gr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 144757 ft
Greece

same problem on samsung s9
dji should fix it as soon as possible
I think I will do a firmware downgrade and wait and dji fix the problem
2018-10-15
Use props
cinnabun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 812995 ft
United States

Harbourside Posted at 2018-10-15 07:21

I've had the same issue happen to me and heard a lot of other people experiencing the same issue. For me I made sure to restart the aircraft after the update completed and then went through all my settings for the aircraft, gimbal and camera to make sure they were correct.

Before I took off, the obstacle sensors were all red, but once I took off they turned green except for the side sensors which is normal unless flying in Quickshot or Active Track.  This is only from my experience updating the Zoom and flying it.
Screenshot_2018-10-15-11-33-42.png
Screenshot_2018-10-15-11-33-05.png
2018-10-15
Use props
DewDog_2
lvl.3

I have the same issue after recent upgrades and latest DJI Go 4.  Running on a Nvidia Shield.  I did a sensor calibration on DJI Assistant.  No change.
2018-10-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're very sorry for some inconvenience. Regarding this concern, I will be going to forward this concern to our developer for us to have a clarification about what could be the main cause or what could be the reason for this feature. Will send you a Private message and need to collect some information. Thanks!
2018-10-15
Use props
Squashpile
lvl.4
Flight distance : 214019 ft
United States

You have to take off and they will or should turn green.
2018-10-15
Use props
Amershaman
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Squashpile Posted at 2018-10-15 14:07
You have to take off and they will or should turn green.

You say that the obstacle warning turns green, but have you actually tested the avoidance to make sure it's working?  I am just being extra cautious. I wouldn't be too thrilled if I was sitting on a plane and the Captain came on saying they had a few warning lights on the instrument panel but they are going to take off anyway because they will probably turn green
2018-10-15
Use props
djiuser_y3gdg9CET97h
lvl.3
Hungary

I have the same problem. Received the Mavic Zoom yesterday and updated and set up everything. The obstacle warning are red... Afraid to use it.
2018-10-16
Use props
Amershaman
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_y3gdg9CET97h Posted at 2018-10-16 02:29
I have the same problem. Received the Mavic Zoom yesterday and updated and set up everything. The obstacle warning are red... Afraid to use it.

UPDATE:  Today the weather had improved enough for me to do a quick test flight - again using my Samsung phone as my controller device.

What I found was:
- Before take off, the Obstacle Avoidance icon was still showing red and stating that it was disabled.  But the radar was showing on screen as normal and responded to my presence when I walked towards or away from the drone
- After take off, the Obstacle Avoidance icon immediately turned green.  I did a careful test in Tripod mode, flying towards obstacles, and the avoidance did work - it beeped and stopped the a/c before it got too close
- On landing however, the icon turned red again and a pop up message appeared saying that there was a "Temporary Error" with the obstacle avoidance.

To me this is the most worrying kind of glitch.  You don't know what exactly is wrong and whether there could be consequently other issues.  For example can you be sure the drone will avoid obstacles if it goes into Return To Home mode? I am not going to be the first to find out that it doesn't

DJI say they are looking into this, so I am going to wait and see what they say.

Alternatively you could roll back to the previous firmware version which I found was fine.  Other people say they have done this.  That way you can get flying with your new toy asap
2018-10-16
Use props
Hedsic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

Hmmmmmm! I haven't updated my M2 yet but now I am having second thoughts on doing so.
2018-10-16
Use props
Hobby Mounts
lvl.2
Flight distance : 206539 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

We've just had a customer call about this.  Hoping DJI come out with a firmware fix soon or rolling back firmware might be the only option.
2018-10-16
Use props
Squashpile
lvl.4
United States

Amershaman Posted at 2018-10-15 23:16
You say that the obstacle warning turns green, but have you actually tested the avoidance to make sure it's working?  I am just being extra cautious. I wouldn't be too thrilled if I was sitting on a plane and the Captain came on saying they had a few warning lights on the instrument panel but they are going to take off anyway because they will probably turn green

Yes, I have and it works. Not sure I see the big deal. Why do you need avoidance when on the ground?
2018-10-16
Use props
Amershaman
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Squashpile Posted at 2018-10-16 08:39
Yes, I have and it works. Not sure I see the big deal. Why do you need avoidance when on the ground?

Obviously you don't need obstacle avoidance on the ground.  But if it doesn't work on the ground maybe it doesn't work in some other situation - like for example when the drone goes into automatic Return to Home mode.  If you are happy to fly your £1000 + drone with a known fault in the firmware, then you have no complaint if it turns out to have some other problem that ends up in a crash.  It's your decision to take the risk.  To me it shows that DJI have not fully tested the update as this is such an obvious/unmissable problem.
2018-10-16
Use props
djiuser_khPBpRUvlxSo
New

I flow my zoom after the fw upgrade.
1 the OA indikator turned green afer Take off
2 The side sensors are off and i gång get them to turn on
3 dont have The option to turn of phone charging is not there any longer.
4 only have One low power alarm level there to be set.
Has any other of you seen that on your android phones?
2018-10-17
Use props
Amershaman
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_khPBpRUvlxSo Posted at 2018-10-17 07:03
I flow my zoom after the fw upgrade.
1 the OA indikator turned green afer Take off
2 The side sensors are off and i gång get them to turn on

Hi there.  

The side sensors being off is normal unless you are in Tripod mode.  

The option to turn off charging is only available when you use an Apple device (something I've raised in a separate thread) so we Android users just have to suck that one up. If you use an iPhone or iPad you do get that option

Not sure what you mean about the power alarm level.  I have always been able to set only one level - for example to make the alarm go off when battery is at 10%.
2018-10-17
Use props
hybr1da
lvl.1
Indonesia

same problem with samsung s8.. hope dji fix it soon...
2018-10-17
Use props
Woofoo33
New
Flight distance : 50535 ft
United Kingdom

I have the same issue MP2 Samsung S8 sensors look to be working but red until took off !
When landing all sensors turn off and are red , also had a bottom sensor Waring, also focusing seams not to be working as well as the last firmware ??
2018-10-19
Use props
fansfd9e2911
lvl.1
Canada

First time poster.
Add me to the list of android users experiencing this problem.
2018-10-20
Use props
noobAtl404
lvl.1

mavic 2 pro

like a couple people have already mentioned, upgrading from v01.00.0000 to v01.00.0100 disabled my obstacle avoidance. here are a couple screenshots to compare.

2018-10-20
Use props
noobAtl404
lvl.1

noobAtl404 Posted at 2018-10-20 19:32
mavic 2 pro

like a couple people have already mentioned, upgrading from v01.00.0000 to v01.00.0100 disabled my obstacle avoidance. here are a couple screenshots to compare.

android s8 by the way!
2018-10-20
Use props
Squashpile
lvl.4
United States

noobAtl404 Posted at 2018-10-20 19:32
mavic 2 pro

Get off the ground
2018-10-21
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Same issue - Android.  Zoom.
2018-10-21
Use props
Fre Mo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 803868 ft

Indeed Android devices seam to be hit by this issue. I have no problem with my ipad.I’m almost sure that DJI will fix this major issue quickly.
2018-10-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Amershaman Posted at 2018-10-16 04:34
UPDATE:  Today the weather had improved enough for me to do a quick test flight - again using my Samsung phone as my controller device.

What I found was:

Hi there, thank you for being understanding, I already got a feedback from our developer about this concern It is normal that the sensing icons on DJI GO 4 Android are all red when the aircraft does not take off, as the aircraft can detect obstacles. This is a normal condition, and the sensing system is not affected. This issue will be fixed in the next firmware.
2018-10-21
Use props
Z-Zoom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27438 ft
  • >>>

Same issue Android and Apple. But ti happend when landing !
2018-10-21
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

I wouldn't say the display is normal.  It should show accurately on the ground or in the air, especially in the settings section.
However I'll take that to mean that it will behave as expected in that Optical Avoidance will still work despite the inaccurate display when on the ground.

Incidentally, is everyone displaying this problem on the latest Go version: 4.3.3 on iOS, 4.3.2 on Android?
I don't have my M2 back yet from repair so I can't check myself.
2018-10-21
Use props
Sato Zoom 2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3172890 ft

DanMan32 Posted at 2018-10-21 11:27
I wouldn't say the display is normal.  It should show accurately on the ground or in the air, especially in the settings section.
However I'll take that to mean that it will behave as expected in that Optical Avoidance will still work despite the inaccurate display when on the ground.

I don't have the issue on my iPad iOS 4.3.3 but do on my S7 Edge Android 4.3.2..........
2018-10-21
Use props
Amershaman
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-10-21 08:41
Hi there, thank you for being understanding, I already got a feedback from our developer about this concern It is normal that the sensing icons on DJI GO 4 Android are all red when the aircraft does not take off, as the aircraft can detect obstacles. This is a normal condition, and the sensing system is not affected. This issue will be fixed in the next firmware.

Hi Stephen.  
Your answer is disappointing and suggests that you have missed the point.
This is not normal!  It does not happen with iOS, and it did not happen with Android with the previous firmware.  
The obstacle avoidance is not showing red because it is detecting obstacles on the ground.  It is giving an error message stating that it is disabled.  It will do this even if you place the drone somewhere where is it not close to any obstacles and the radar display shows green.
DanMan32 is exactly right in his response. ‘It should show accurately on the ground or in the air’ just as it did before.
DJI is always going on about safe flying, but what you are doing right now is encouraging people to go ahead and fly a drone that is giving an error warning.
2018-10-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Amershaman Posted at 2018-10-21 23:03
Hi Stephen.  
Your answer is disappointing and suggests that you have missed the point.
This is not normal!  It does not happen with iOS, and it did not happen with Android with the previous firmware.  

I understand you about that and sorry to hear you are not satisfied with my answer, No worries this concern already reported to our developer and they working on it.
2018-10-22
Use props
stefan221
lvl.1

Belarus

hello Stephan, i have same problem, hope you guys will fix this problem soon! keep & touch
2018-10-23
Use props
stefan221
lvl.1

Belarus

stefan221 Posted at 2018-10-23 12:30
hello Stephan, i have same problem, hope you guys will fix this problem soon! keep & touch

Stephen, pardon
2018-10-23
Use props
Rockowe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2376352 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

This Happenned today on a BRAND New MAVIC - The latest Update completely VOIDED the Obstacle avoidance - Front and Rear-
Also a similar event occurred  - " a pop up message appeared saying that there was a 'Temporary Error' "

The sensors could not be activated on the ground OR IN THE AIR- They simply did not operate-
I nearly crashed my new drone in the Gentle test - till 2cm before a large Leafed PLANT.

I started a Roll Back  to the Previous FWare -
Lets See what Happens.

IT ALL WORKS as it should - !!!!

so the Latest firmware disables the sensors- completely - for me on the ground and in the air
2018-10-23
Use props
lennyandsandi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70420 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, even happens on the DJI CrysalSky; which runs on Android as well.
2018-10-24
Use props
HoPro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70958 ft
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Same here ???
2018-10-25
Use props
Elro
lvl.1
Israel

Same here, I have also this problem and I am new in this world...
I also can't find the option to turn of phone charging it seems that it was off the menu and this is very annoying, the remote is always charging and the remotes' battery drains fast!!!
2018-10-26
Use props
Amershaman
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Elro Posted at 2018-10-26 15:52
Same here, I have also this problem and I am new in this world...
I also can't find the option to turn of phone charging it seems that it was off the menu and this is very annoying, the remote is always charging and the remotes' battery drains fast!!!

Hi Elro. This is something I asked about in a separate thread. It appears that this option is only in the menu of the iOS version of the Go 4 app.  Not in Android.  I don't really understand why.

After all these problems I am now flying using my iPad as the controller device instead of my Samsung phone. The experience is much better.
2018-10-26
Use props
djiuser_ZcwVmPtKjaAq
New
Indonesia

Same here... After update i notice the sensors will only active on air. But afrter several flight now it completly off. Only says obstacle avoidance temporary error... I only have android phone....
Did rollback the firmware helps? Coz i have a job tomorrow
2018-11-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules