Question about top speed specs while flying backward
551 5 2018-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

I need a drone that will track a fast moving subject while flying backwards. DJI lists the M2P's top speed @ 72 kph (S-mode). I need to know for sure if this speed can be achieved while flying backward too. Because they list battery time of 31 mins @ 25 km/h, but only 29 mins @ hover, it suggests to me that it's weight is balanced for efficient forward flight. My M1P (rated at 65km/h) seemed to be able to fly slightly faster forward than backward. If anybody has M2P specs, or test results, or knows of a Youtube video on the subject, I'd be very grateful.     
2018-10-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Your quad should fly at the same speed in all 4 directions.
2018-10-16
Use props
GhostWolf010
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
Netherlands

It should indeed fly at the same speed, but due to aerodynamics it will probably be just a little bit slower in other directions then forwards
2018-10-16
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

GhostWolf010 Posted at 2018-10-16 09:36
It should indeed fly at the same speed, but due to aerodynamics it will probably be just a little bit slower in other directions then forwards

I think you're right. My theory is that the software is designed to govern the drone to around 72km/h while orientated in every direction, but in the event of headwind, it can more easily maintain it's 72km/h while in its forward orientation.
2018-10-17
Use props
SkinJob2501
lvl.3

United States

Yeah, probably, in absolutely perfect conditions. Emphasis on probably and absolutely perfect conditions. Ive only ever seen the top speed in S mode as advertised a few times and it always seemed to be with a tail wind and in my experience, never backwards.
2018-10-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for your inquiry. We haven't tried this kind of process on our end, however,  if you're about to use the Active track features you will have two option when selecting the tracking speed limit. Safe mode limits the speed up to 12 m/s and the other one is Max mode which you can achieve not more than 20 m/s. However, if the aircraft's speed exceeds to 12 m/s second then it cannot avoid any obstacles. I would recommend flying in open areas to prevent the incident. Please let us know if you have other concerns.
2018-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules