New law in France: WIFI identification
697 5 2018-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pjollain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106093 ft
France

Some changes have been announced for the law related to drones in France, and all the drones over 800g will have to provide an identification via WIFI.
The goal is to allow police to identify a drone even if it is quite high in the sky, or even that any citizen could use a simple device to be able to identify a drone that would compromise their privacy, and report it to the police.

I don't want to discuss here the usefulness of such a law, as it is obvious that someone with bad intentions will simply provide no identification. I am rather interested in knowing how the new Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom will be affected. Does the current hardware allow to fulfil this requirement? As far as I know, they don't use WIFI for communication, even if the frequencies are the same. And if we have to install additional hardware for this purpose, will it interfere with occusync?
2018-10-16
Use props
dancopter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I am guessing any kind of rule would need to be EU wide. I doubt a drone manufacturer is going to tailor your drone hardware for just one EU country.
2018-10-16
Use props
dancopter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

DJI already has remote identification technology built-in though.

https://dronedj.com/2017/10/25/d ... gram-for-us-market/
2018-10-16
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106093 ft
France

Thanks for this useful information. I hope that this is the way it is going to be implemented, as it means that my drone is already compatible, so no additional cost, and no risk of compromising the current radio communication.
2018-10-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

pjollain Posted at 2018-10-16 21:20
Thanks for this useful information. I hope that this is the way it is going to be implemented, as it means that my drone is already compatible, so no additional cost, and no risk of compromising the current radio communication.

There is an app in the UK called NATS Drone assist which is designed by the CAA and in that app you have the option to broadcast your position - perhaps that may be the way forward in making it mandatory to notify through the app so that others in the vicinity know you are flying a drone.
2018-10-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi pjollain, thank you for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. Kindly refer to Captain A CW's reply for more of information. Thank you.
2018-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules