Improve Forum : Did it on my own... Enjoy ! (feedback appeciated)
12Next >
2375 49 2018-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
M4veric17
lvl.3
Flight distance : 519715 ft
France

As earlier briefly discussed here i was missing the ability to quickly access any last thread's post from the forum's thread list view. I suggested changing the last post date to a link but as i have no idea whether this might be implemented or not at any point (not even sure my suggestion was seen by any admin), i finally decided to make it on my own ;)

So i created a small user script (to be used with TamperMonkey browser extension) for achieving this.

If you don't have it yet installed in your browser, you will first need to install TamperMonkey extension from the link below (depending of your browser) :

TamperMonkey for Chrome
TamperMonkey for Firefox
TamperMonkey for Edge
TamperMonkey for Safari

(You can also check their FAQ if you're not much familiar with this kind of extension)

Then you will have to install my script that you can grab here.
I have successfully tested it with Chrome, Firefox and Edge.
There's only a small issue where for some reason, for a few sticky threads the link will only reach the last page and not the last post. Kinda annoys me but not that much of a big deal though.

I'm adding 3 screenshots describing how to install the script.

You can also find useful info regarding how to install/use tampermonkey and scripts for any browser here.

I hope this will be of some use for some of you ;) And thanks for commenting and giving me feedback

Cheers.

Install Script 03

Install Script 03

Install Script 02

Install Script 02

Install Script 01

Install Script 01
2018-10-17
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Thank you so much Works great with Chrome!
2018-10-17
Use props
M4veric17
lvl.3
France

rolling56 Posted at 2018-10-17 05:35
Thank you so much  Works great with Chrome!

Glad you enjoyed rolling56 and thanks for your prompt feedback ^^
2018-10-17
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

M4veric17 Posted at 2018-10-17 05:47
Glad you enjoyed rolling56 and thanks for your prompt feedback ^^

oh ya it makes it tolerable now. Everyone should try this if they like to go directly to the last post and not have to go through pages of posts to get to the end.
2018-10-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there. Thank you for sharing your informative suggestion here in DJI Forum. If you need any help, please don't hesitate to reach us. We're happy to help. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2018-10-18
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-10-18 14:01
Hi there. Thank you for sharing your informative suggestion here in DJI Forum. If you need any help, please don't hesitate to reach us. We're happy to help. Thank you and have a safe flight always.

Did you give this a go yet @DJI Natalia?
2018-10-18
Use props
M4veric17
lvl.3
France

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-10-18 14:01

My pleasure DJI Natalia, and thanks for your support .

I actually was wondering whether you could make this thread somehow sticky for eg just 1 or 2 weeks so that it might have more visibility for all users. I mean only Mavic users might see it as i posted it in the Mavic's Discussion forum, but Phantom and Spark's users will not see it, unless they specifically look in the Mavic's Discussion forum (and if it didn't went too far in the thread's list).
Or you can maybe make an admin sticky thread of your own, linking to my thread if you think it would better suits your forum's policy...

Again, the idea is just to make this trick ability to 'quick-access-any-last-forums-post' the more visible for anyone in here ^^
2018-10-19
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

I have a request but not sure if you have the ability....can you have/make a marker for when you have posted in any threads. I lose track of whether i have posted in a thread or not and there might be 100 posts in the thread to go through or to go through all my posts lol
2018-11-6
Use props
M4veric17
lvl.3
France

rolling56 Posted at 11-6 15:54
I have a request but not sure if you have the ability....can you have/make a marker for when you have posted in any threads. I lose track of whether i have posted in a thread or not and there might be 100 posts in the thread to go through or to go through all my posts lol

That's a nice suggestion but i'm afraid it cannot be easily implemented as i have no access to forum user history. Maybe a workaround for my user script might be to give the ability of manually marking locally any thread one would want, but i'm not even sure this could also be implemented (as it would require saving marked threads somewhere - eg through cookies), plus it would not be that handy to have to manually mark threads, instead of directly inheriting the status of whether we posted or not in a specific thread.

Anyway, i'll try looking into this and will come back to you if i ever find a way for achieving it anyhow.
2018-11-7
Use props
M4veric17
lvl.3
France

Not your answer, but regarding how to ease your search through multiple-pages's threads, you might be interested with the  AutoPagerize Chrome extension
2018-11-8
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

M4veric17 Posted at 11-8 05:06
Not your answer, but regarding how to ease your search through multiple-pages's threads, you might be interested with the  AutoPagerize Chrome extension

ok thanks i will check it out.
2018-11-8
Use props
M4veric17
lvl.3
France

I know this is far from perfect but i have at least added the ability to manually highlight any thread in the new 0.3 version of my user script.

All you have to do for highlighting a thread with this new version is to click on the thread initial post date (the first date next to the user who created the thread) and it will then switch its highlighted status to highlighted or not.

Note that all the threads reference you will highlight are stored in a local cookie. So you will retrieve your highlights even after closing your browser (unless if you set it to delete everything on close).

Now the major disadvantage is that the highlights are not related to your forum user account, so you will not retrieve them if you use another device (PC/Tablet...) or another browser than the one you used for creating them. Also as this is not related to your user account, you will have to manually highlight each thread you want. Again, i know this is not your initial request but it might be better than nothing, and i unfortunately had to deal with the only infos i could access ^^

In order to update my user script on your end, just go to your TamperMonkey dashboard and click on the 'Last updated' value on the line of my script. This should trigger the 'Check for update' process and you should then end with version 0.3 of my script installed (instead of previous 0.2).

Then just refresh any page in the DJI forums and you should have the new highlight ability.

Last note, i just realised that my whole script (turning last post date into link plus the new highlight function) actually fails for all pages after #2 if you use the AutoPagerize Chrome extension i was mentionning here :/ Not sure i can do much about this and it means you'll have to turn off AutoPagerize if you want my script to work properly.

Anyway, all in all, i hope my script and this update will be of some interest for at least a few users, but i will at least have partially achieved the challenge

Any feedback still appreciated ;)

2018-11-9
Use props
M4veric17
lvl.3
France

Screenshot of a few threads highlighted through my user script :
2018-11-9
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

ok i think i have it? So when i go to a thread i just highlight it and then it will save it until i clear cookies? yes? and it doesn't work past the 2nd page. Most of what i would want to know if i posted in a thread would mainly be older ones but will give it a try in the next few days and thank you for spending your precious time to do this  
2018-11-9
Use props
M4veric17
lvl.3
France

rolling56 Posted at 11-9 05:39
ok i think i have it? So when i go to a thread i just highlight it and then it will save it until i clear cookies? yes? and it doesn't work past the 2nd page. Most of what i would want to know if i posted in a thread would mainly be older ones but will give it a try in the next few days and thank you for spending your precious time to do this

Yup, all your highlights will be saved until you clear your cookies. So if you don't clear your cookies you should have your highlights kept forever (at least in your browser). And i have built this thinking of highlighting the threads rather while you are in any forum's root (ie within threads list view) but not when you are in a into a specific thread. I could check for also adding the abilty to highlight the current thread upon some element click when you are into any specific thread though. It should not be that difficult to add this plus i understand it might be easier for you to mark a thread while you're into it (checking if you participated or not), instead of having to return to the threads list each time for highlighting it.
2018-11-9
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

M4veric17 Posted at 11-9 06:09
Yup, all your highlights will be saved until you clear your cookies. So if you don't clear your cookies you should have your highlights kept forever (at least in your browser). And i have built this thinking of highlighting the threads rather while you are in any forum's root (ie within threads list view) but not when you are in a into a specific thread. I could check for also adding the abilty to highlight the current thread upon some element click when you are into any specific thread though. It should not be that difficult to add this plus i understand it might be easier for you to mark a thread while you're into it (checking if you participated or not), instead of having to return to the threads list each time for highlighting it.

ok let me know if you change anything and thank you again
2018-11-9
Use props
M4veric17
lvl.3
France

rolling56 Posted at 11-9 05:39

And it will work past the 2nd page, but only if you deactivate the AutoPagerize extension, or if you didn't installed it at all. If you still want to use AutoPagerize for other sites, i think it has ability in its options for excluding some sites. So you could eg exclude 'forum.dji.com' domain in AutoPagerize options,  then it will work for any site but DJi, and my own script will perfectly work.
2018-11-9
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

I have not tried any of the things you posted last about marking the posts that i have replied in but: If i click on the clock when the thread was posted (the date and time it was posted) it highlights the title and stays highlighted no matter what i do. Could this be what i am looking for? You can click on the clock again and the highlight goes away. Let me know if you can repeat this and know what it does please
Edit: This is when i am viewing "ALL" the newest posts/threads with all the stickys included. Best i can explain lol
2018-11-13
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

M4veric17 Posted at 11-9 06:20
And it will work past the 2nd page, but only if you deactivate the AutoPagerize extension, or if you didn't installed it at all. If you still want to use AutoPagerize for other sites, i think it has ability in its options for excluding some sites. So you could eg exclude 'forum.dji.com' domain in AutoPagerize options,  then it will work for any site but DJi, and my own script will perfectly work.

See my new post? So after playing with the new found option i think i have everything i need here now and thanks to you too
2018-11-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Interesting
2018-11-14
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

What is interesting Monti? Have any questions as to what we are talking about here and the forum setup? Do you know about the clock/highlight option? I just now found it.
2018-11-14
Use props
M4veric17
lvl.3
France

rolling56 Posted at 11-14 14:36
See my new post? So after playing with the new found option i think i have everything i need here now and thanks to you too

Sorry buddy, i've been a bit busy with other stuff, and i'm still also working on adding ability to highlight threads when viewing in thread mode (in addition of thread list view). Plus i'm also fixing a few issues and improving my script. That's cool if it already suits your needs but stay tuned, as the next version should even be better ^^ And it should be ready in the next few days...
2018-11-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

rolling56 Posted at 11-14 15:45
What is interesting Monti? Have any questions as to what we are talking about here and the forum setup? Do you know about the clock/highlight option? I just now found it.

I find that addon very interesting.
Never heard about that one.
It does open possibilities.
No, never heard of it.
2018-11-15
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 11-15 01:04
I find that addon very interesting.
Never heard about that one.
It does open possibilities.

ya i just came across that highlight by accident but glad i did. Now to see what  M4veric17 has up his sleeve
2018-11-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

rolling56 Posted at 11-15 05:59
ya i just came across that highlight by accident but glad i did. Now to see what  M4veric17 has up his sleeve

Where do you click exactly?
2018-11-15
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 11-15 06:01
Where do you click exactly?

When viewing the "ALL" page for the Mavic with all the sticky's look for the little grey clocks that show 3 o'clock next to the persons nic name and the time and date the thread was started. I don't have anyway to have an arrow point at it. If you click on the grey clock it will highlight the thread title and keep it there till you click it again. Every thread has this. Hope this makes sense.
2018-11-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

rolling56 Posted at 11-15 06:18
When viewing the "ALL" page for the Mavic with all the sticky's look for the little grey clocks that show 3 o'clock next to the persons nic name and the time and date the thread was started. I don't have anyway to have an arrow point at it. If you click on the grey clock it will highlight the thread title and keep it there till you click it again. Every thread has this. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks I will try
2018-11-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

rolling56 Posted at 11-15 06:18
When viewing the "ALL" page for the Mavic with all the sticky's look for the little grey clocks that show 3 o'clock next to the persons nic name and the time and date the thread was started. I don't have anyway to have an arrow point at it. If you click on the grey clock it will highlight the thread title and keep it there till you click it again. Every thread has this. Hope this makes sense.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't click anything there.

2018-11-15
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 11-15 06:36
Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't click anything there.

[view_image]

Click on that little grey clock next to the red 5 hours ago It should make the title yellow. It doesn't look clickable but it is. Of course this needs to be done with a PC i am guessing and not a mobile? I haven't tried with a mobile yet.
2018-11-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

rolling56 Posted at 11-15 06:41
Click on that little grey clock next to the red 5 hours ago  It should make the title yellow. It doesn't look clickable but it is. Of course this needs to be done with a PC i am guessing and not a mobile? I haven't tried with a mobile yet.

I will give it another go and record some proof.
2018-11-15
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 11-15 06:56
I will give it another go and record some proof.

k what i have been looking for is a way to mark a thread that i replied in and that is what the grey clock is for i am guessing so it highlights the thread as marked.
2018-11-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

rolling56 Posted at 11-15 06:57
k what i have been looking for is a way to mark a thread that i replied in and that is what the grey clock is for i am guessing so it highlights the thread as marked.

Nothing here.
2018-11-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

rolling56 Posted at 11-15 06:57

I would be very surprised if this would lead to some action.
I develop websites and a 'span' without a 'onclick' usually does not do anything.

Now there might be 3 things going on here that I can think of.
1. You are running a beta site.
2. You're explorer is showing some different version of the forum.
3. I'm missing something here
2018-11-15
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 11-15 07:01
I would be very surprised if this would lead to some action.
I develop websites and a 'span' without a 'onclick' usually does not do anything.

ok i am using Chrome and possibly the addon i am using is allowing this for me so disregard lol
2018-11-15
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 11-15 06:59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjti3yYa7G8

Nothing here.

That is the correct clock i am talking about so i don't know. Thank you for trying
2018-11-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

rolling56 Posted at 11-15 07:15
ok i am using Chrome and possibly the addon i am using is allowing this for me so disregard lol

That last part is the reason I guess.
I'm on Chrome too, but have not installed the addon.
2018-11-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

rolling56 Posted at 11-15 07:16
That is the correct clock i am talking about so i don't know. Thank you for trying

Yes.
It must be the addon
2018-11-15
Use props
M4veric17
lvl.3
France

Montfrooij Posted at 11-15 07:21
Yes.
It must be the addon

Yes it's definitely related to my user script and you will also  need TamperMonkey add-on to be installed in order to have my user script working too. Check the very start of this thread, i mentionned how to install both TamperMonkey plus my script.
2018-11-18
Use props
M4veric17
lvl.3
France

rolling56 Posted at 11-15 07:16

Version 0.4 is ready and now make the highlight stuff also working when you are into any thread (and not just when viewing the thread's list). I also added a prompt confirmation before deleting  all hightlights through the ctrl+click function. I will add a few screenshots trying to clarify the whole highlighting process thing ^^
2018-11-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

M4veric17 Posted at 11-18 08:42
Yes it's definitely related to my user script and you will also  need TamperMonkey add-on to be installed in order to have my user script working too. Check the very start of this thread, i mentionned how to install both TamperMonkey plus my script.

Yeah, I read that.
2018-11-18
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules