Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Has your spark ever been attacked by a swarm of insects?
728 14 2018-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Droffarc
Captain
Flight distance : 5499987 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Just wondering how the spark will react to flying through a swarm of bees. I once rode through a bee swarm on my motorcycle - was not that pleasant and was rather sticky at the end.
Currently there are a lot of insects around, I was attacked by a swarm of midges the other day, could hardly see cos they were getting in my eyes, ears and somewhat up my nose, but they seemed to evade the spark. I noted the odd big black wasp checking it out but they also thought better of it.

2018-10-17
Use props
SirLurksalot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 137487 ft
United States

My Spark was attacked by bees once and it was a mess, especially the underside of the props!  https://forum.dji.com/thread-161516-1-1.html
2018-10-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes, a swarm of flying ants!
2018-10-17
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Captain
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

Not bees, but my Spark has "attacked" swarms of mosquitoes. At the end of one flight, there was half a mosquito stuck to the body. No ill effects for the Spark otherwise.
2018-10-17
Use props
wimherman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 208556 ft
Norway

I think it depents on the size of the insect.. If one big grasshopper hits the propellers with its hard shell.. i think at least there will be an error message on the motor(s) hit..
2018-10-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your story here. Insects may attack your drone as well, thinking that the drone is their enemy as well. Please avoid this kind of environment to prevent an incident to the drone.
2018-10-17
Use props
Tentoes
Captain
Flight distance : 5095427 ft
United States

I've had birds investigating to see what this odd thing was, but none have paid it much attention.
2018-10-17
Use props
H. Arif - 6IX
First Officer
Flight distance : 258061 ft
Canada

I have had pigeons fly close by but they seem to ignore it. Glad they do, I've seen some being attacked.
2018-10-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tentoes Posted at 2018-10-17 14:16
I've had birds investigating to see what this odd thing was, but none have paid it much attention.

I've seen Inspire's taken out of the sky by eagles - always fly with extreme caution around birds.
2018-10-17
Use props
NRRTRAINS 85
Second Officer

United States

what you have to watch out for is swarm of small insect's clogging up the intake and over heating the spark .  
2018-10-17
Use props
Droffarc
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

When I was still learning, I flew in an open park early morning. I kept to about hover hight and just flew here and there getting used to control. I noticed a guinea fowl running after the spark! Must have been investing what this strange thing was.
2018-10-17
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Captain
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

Tentoes Posted at 2018-10-17 14:16

I don't worry about small birds like swallows because they won't attack the Spark. They're just trying to harrass it. The worst case I've had was, unexpectedly, a snipe. It's a sizeable enough bird and it wouldn't leave the Spark alone so I flew it back. Next time at that spot, it came again but I made a move at the snipe and that settled it. We both went back to peacefully living our lives.

I wouldn't try that with an eagle, though.
2018-10-17
Use props
Alex B.
Captain
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Not insects, but a couple of times I was trying to race away or escape from some crazy birds, that missed the done by inches many times!!! Phew they didn’t collide

Fly safely all
Alex
2018-10-18
Use props
Droffarc
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

We have some rather aggressive crows in the airea, seen some airial battles between them and the feral Egyptian geese!
I better watch out, there may be crows about!
2018-10-19
Use props
ManOfSand
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1207123 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not much of a big deal, but where I live there are these small swarms of very tiny bugs (fruit flies maybe), and when I fly around and come back there are usually a couple splattered on the chassis of it.
2018-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules