Mapping
5018 26 2018-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
_zaska_
lvl.1

Finland

Hi!

Is there any method or app to take multiple photos on construction site, and then combine them.

The reason I need to take several images is because im about to merge the photo into a cad drawing, and if i take a photo
from too high, the lens distortion will mess the edges and the picture wont be in scale?

2018-10-17
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

This is from DJI ... BUT too many expensive

2018-10-17
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

I use Litchi & Red waypoint apps for this issue
2018-10-17
Use props
_zaska_
lvl.1

Finland

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2018-10-17 23:04
I use Litchi & Red waypoint apps for this issue

Ok! thanks!

Can u explain a bit, what can i export from litchi, or how would I use it on my case?

I would like to have like a large image, that wont be distorted, and what i could digitally zoom more than normal image.
2018-10-17
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

i not the best to teach you about litchi , but there a a lot of tuturials . Im actually using RedWaypoint app

Plan your flight and fly autonomously with RED WAYPOINT the new mission planner APP for DJI drones

A simple and intuitive way to plan and execute your flight
Focus on recording your videos with the First Person View, configure your camera and center on your shots while flying autonomously.
Plan your flight in OFFLINE mode (save battery time! explore the mision map zone before flying if internet is later on unavailable).
Configure and save your missions.
Check and validate your mission by simulating your flight.
Unlimited number of waypoints
Point Of Interest
Follow missions
Orbit missions
OTG connection supported

http://redwaypoint.com/
2018-10-17
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

2018-10-17
Use props
_zaska_
lvl.1

Finland

Yep! But how is it helping me in the post. The red waypoint app wont combine those images on itself, right?
2018-10-17
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

_zaska_ Posted at 2018-10-17 23:48
Yep! But how is it helping me in the post. The red waypoint app wont combine those images on itself, right?

not sure _zaska_
2018-10-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There are several dedicated mapping apps such as DroneDeploy
2018-10-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Litchi is good but it doesn't do what you are asking for.
2018-10-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

_zaska_ Posted at 2018-10-17 23:48
Yep! But how is it helping me in the post. The red waypoint app wont combine those images on itself, right?

Aloha zaska,

Just recently, I solved that problem for a similar reason as you have.  I created a grid using Litchi ($35 USA) that is scalable with 56 waypoints (99 total available) and used Microsoft's Image Compositing Editor (ICE) to assemble a poster size image (from 56 photos) with amazing zoom capability.  This was using the P4 Pro, so the images were very crisp and shot from 200 feet altitude.

My suggestion is a method.  I do not know the cost of Neb's suggested Red Waypoint software, but Litchi does have a lot of bang for the buck.  Because you can scale the grid, you can experiment with how large you want covered by how many photos.  You could probably use Red Waypoint rather than Litchi but I am not familiar with Red Waypoint other than the visit I just made to the web site (Mahalo Neb!).

My first effort had photos too far apart and the ICE program said that the program was for panoramas with a camera at a single spot.  This turns out to not be true.  My method works with the FREE ICE software by using the 4X3 photo proportions and having a lot of overlap.  

I have a 100 foot pine tree in one photo that I was lucky enough to have a photo from right above it and the tree came out perfect (very hard to spot in the composite photo).  If you have a tall thin structure like a pine tree, you may need to plan a waypoint right above it or the image comes out like a Google Earth slanted image.

It can be done if you use my method, but you have to do your research and figure out some problems.  Your system does not have to be expensive.

If you have an recent iPad or other iOS tablet, you can download the FREE DJI Ground Station Pro (Not available for Android).  It will not only do the grid but will also generate graphic points as it circles a statue for computer modeling.  Here is the link to the DJI site for GS Pro;

https://www.dji.com/ground-stati ... ndsite&from=nav

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-10-18
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

Cetacean Posted at 2018-10-18 01:53
Aloha zaska,

Just recently, I solved that problem for a similar reason as you have.  I created a grid using Litchi ($35 USA) that is scalable with 56 waypoints (99 total available) and used Microsoft's Image Compositing Editor (ICE) to assemble a poster size image (from 56 photos) with amazing zoom capability.  This was using the P4 Pro, so the images were very crisp and shot from 200 feet altitude.

Hi my friend ! Redwaypoint is free
2018-10-18
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

Aloha Cetacean ! i tested Redwaypoint in my 3 AC ´S  ( i got a new Phantom 3 Standard) and the app run correctly without fails
2018-10-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2018-10-18 02:06
Hi my friend ! Redwaypoint is free

Aloha Neb,

That is what it seemed when I went to the web site but I could not get any confirmation notation in five minutes.  I may give it a try since it looks like it generates grids rather than me having to set them individually.  It also looks like it is Android only at this time.

With Litchi, I was able to "Insert" a waypoint evenly between two corner waypoints and then insert more waypoints, so it was not so bad but still you have to do each waypoint settings individually on the computer.  With the mobile version of Litchi, there are batch waypoint entries you can make though.

BTW, you can set the camera tilt straight down or at 70 degrees.  70 degrees is used by the mesh generating software of the mapping programs so the mesh and image can benefit from the relief.  If you run two directions, 90 degrees off each other, it also helps.  

The mapping software use that methodology to get the 3D effect for the mesh.  It was funny, my friend did a beach park and one of the palm trees looked normal except the trunk looked like a sail or flag, LOL!  Definite 3D effect!

Good seeing you again!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-10-18
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

Cetacean Posted at 2018-10-18 02:31
Aloha Neb,

That is what it seemed when I went to the web site but I could not get any confirmation notation in five minutes.  I may give it a try since it looks like it generates grids rather than me having to set them individually.  

I am in contact with the developer of the application ,he told me he was open to any suggestion.

If you give a try , feel free to suggest any improvement
2018-10-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2018-10-18 02:38
I am in contact with the developer of the application ,he told me he was open to any suggestion.

If you give a try , feel free to suggest any improvement

Aloha Neb,

OK, I will be sure to run it by you first.  Are you getting any special treats out of it yet?

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-10-18
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

Cetacean Posted at 2018-10-18 03:02
Aloha Neb,

OK, I will be sure to run it by you first.  Are you getting any special treats out of it yet?

I do not get anything dear   the developer is a new friend , I gave him a good punctuation and comment, he answered gratefully
I tried many applications all with failures, it is the only one that does not give me failures at the moment
2018-10-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2018-10-18 03:04
I do not get anything dear   the developer is a new friend

Aloha Neb,

Well, yes.  I was thinking about any unique tricks or video maneuvers that it can pull off?  It looks easy to use and there are some challenging fly-by camera maneuvers that it looks like it might make a lot easier to do.  Right now I also like the "Full Screen" option.  It looks like it is a lot easier to go back and forth than DJI GO or DJI GO 4.

One nice thing is it allows you to fly DJI GO and DJI GO 4 aircraft with the same flight system (Litchi does to).  My old Samsung Galaxy Pro TAB will not run Litchi even though it is not a weak tablet.  I am hoping it will run this app.  RedWaypoint looks like it might be more streamlined software wise.  But then, that could just be wishful thinking.  Worth a try though!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-10-18
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

Cetacean Posted at 2018-10-18 03:16
Aloha Neb,

Well, yes.  I was thinking about any unique tricks or video maneuvers that it can pull off?  It looks easy to use and there are some challenging fly-by camera maneuvers that it looks like it might make a lot easier to do.  Right now I also like the "Full Screen" option.  It looks like it is a lot easier to go back and forth than DJI GO or DJI GO 4.

i think this is not a bad app Run fine in My Phantom 3 SE , Standard and Mavic pro
2018-10-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2018-10-18 03:18
i think this is not a bad app  Run fine in My Phantom 3 SE , Standard and Mavic pro

Aloha Neb,

Yeah, I am going to give it a shot.  It would be great if it runs on my Samsung.  It will be no problem on my nVidia Shield K1.  Sometimes simple is a very good thing.  It looks simple and clean.  Looking forward to testing it.  Mahalo for the heads-up!

Right now I have to put my head down - on a pillow that is!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-10-18
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

Cetacean Posted at 2018-10-18 03:38
Aloha Neb,

Yeah, I am going to give it a shot.  It would be great if it runs on my Samsung.  It will be no problem on my nVidia Shield K1.  Sometimes simple is a very good thing.  It looks simple and clean.  Looking forward to testing it.  Mahalo for the heads-up!

Have Nice Dreams
2018-10-18
Use props
_zaska_
lvl.1

Finland

Cetacean Posted at 2018-10-18 01:53
Aloha zaska,

Hi!

Thanks a lot! I cant wait to test it, I have to do research if I could use my lightroom software or photoshop as well. Didn't realise its kind of same than doing panorama Picture in post. But the Program itself will take a set of photos in a certain pattern. and the grid scaling would have a great affect  i guess. - for the sharpness. Maybe u wanna share some of your stuff?
2018-10-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

_zaska_ Posted at 2018-10-18 04:19
Hi!

Thanks a lot! I cant wait to test it, I have to do research if I could use my lightroom software or photoshop as well. Didn't realise its kind of same than doing panorama Picture in post. But the Program itself will take a set of photos in a certain pattern. and the grid scaling would have a great affect  i guess. - for the sharpness. Maybe u wanna share some of your stuff?

Just have a look at DroneDeploy because it's a professional mapping solution and does exactly what you are asking for.
2018-10-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

_zaska_ Posted at 2018-10-18 04:19
Hi!

Aloha zaska,

As Labroides notes in his post (#23), DroneDeploy is a professional mapping solution.  The method I mentioned is a go-between and labor intensive system that has you working hard to save money.  You will also have to convert the image into a mesh that a CAD program can use.  There are a number of professional mapping solutions available as Labroides noted and he knows his stuff.  I will be using his advice when I make suggestions to my friends engineering company for drone mapping projects.

It still does not hurt to use these grid-flight programs like Red Waypoint and Litchi and compositing programs like the FREE Microsoft Image Composite Editor.  When you work with them, you learn how mapping software works and the demands it requires.  This helps you use the professional software as a better informed consumer.  You can even try DroneDeploy for free during a trial period.

https://www.dronedeploy.com/

The Pano applets for Phantoms are relatively new and I just bought my Mavic Air a few months ago.  My images are still in the early stage and there are relatively few of them.  My composite images are also 27 to 32 MB, so they are not quick and easy photos to upload and display.  But, like you want to do, it is amazing how you can zoom in anywhere in the poster sized image and see incredible detail.  

The Microsoft Image Composite Editor is easy to use, but you have to understand how to make it work or it will tell you it cannot do that type of work with it.  Tweak it and the results are very rewarding.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-10-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Neb,

Bummer!  My Samsung Galaxy Pro TAB has Android 4.4.2 (with no allowed upgrades) and Red Waypoint Android requires 5.0 and up.  Oh well, it looks like the nVidia Shield K1 will be it.  Oh well.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-10-19
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

Cetacean Posted at 2018-10-19 00:48
Aloha Neb,

Bummer!  My Samsung Galaxy Pro TAB has Android 4.4.2 (with no allowed upgrades) and Red Waypoint Android requires 5.0 and up.  Oh well, it looks like the nVidia Shield K1 will be it.  Oh well.

Aloha Cetacean !! Nice  !! if you can test in this device !!
2018-10-19
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2018-10-19 00:56
Aloha Cetacean !! Nice  !! if you can test in this device !!

Aloha Neb,

That nVidia Shield K1 has all my flying programs on it.  Now to add another one, Ack!  My CrystalSky, fortunately, has only the two GO programs on it.  That is the one I use for challenging flights.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules