Ability to re-assign or swap gimbal and zoom dials?
1236 3 2018-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Len Bartz
lvl.1
United States

As a feature request, I'd like to see a firmware update to let us re-assign or swap the gimbal and zoom dials on the Mavic II Pro Zoom.  

As a full-time professional photographer for 35 years, I've gotten REALLY used to associating my LEFT hand with zooming and my RIGHT hand with tilting.  The camera or the tripod head is always in my right hand, (because they're all built that way and I've never had a choice in the matter) and the lens barrel is always in my left.  Zoom and focus are always, Always, ALWAYS done with left hand.   It wasn't until I got my Mavic that I realized just how deeply ingrained that was!  While I don't suppose I can call it "muscle memory,"  it's certainly something very much akin to it.  

This is my first, "real" drone, so I assumed that time and practice would solve the problem, but I've flown several hours a day for almost two months now, and I still get it wrong every single time I try to make a camera move without stopping and consciously thinking about which dial, controls which movement.   50,000+ hours of being conditioned to zoom-with-my-left-hand and tilt-with-my-right have driven it so deeply into my brain that I just can't get past it!  A good controller should be an extension of youself, something you can use without thinking about it.  If I could swap those two dials, I'd be there!  

In fact, I want to THANK DJI for already including the ability to change stick modes!  I'm new to UAS, and like a lot of people, my primary experience with controllers has been through gaming.  I struggled with my drone for the first couple of weeks, and then one day I was playing Skyrim and it suddenly dawned on me why I was having so much trouble!  I immediately went outside, changed the Mavic controllers stick configuration to match the gaming controller movements I've always used, and within minutes I was flying like I'd been doing it for years!   

I fully realize that most people will not have this problem.  DJI's Gimbal-tilt controls have always been on the left, so of course they left it there and put the new zoom control on the right.  But, for those of us who are relatively new to the world of drones and who are used to zooming with the left and tilting with the right...please, I'm begging you PLEASE, let us keep doing it that way!

2018-10-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi Len Bartz, thank you for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. I will be coordinating this to our R&D's for them to be notified. Thank you for your continued support. Have a safe flight always.
2018-10-18
Use props
OMMBoy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 171772 ft
United States

Hi, Len and DJI Gamora!

Thanks for the post, Len! I just received my Mavic 2 Zoom about a month ago and am having difficulty getting used to the gimbal and camera zoom dials without stopping to consciously think about them (I, too, am a photographer). As such, I have missed/ruined some goods shots because I instinctively pushed or pulled the dial in the "wrong" direction causing the gimbal to tilt up instead of down, or the camera to zoom out instead of in. If DJI could add the capability to customize the gimbal and camera dials in a future firmware update, it would make many photographers' lives that much easier.

@DJI Gamora: are you aware of any plans from R&D to include this feature in a future firmware update?

Thanks!
Chris
2020-1-14
Use props
LMuliolis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2087779 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-10-18 09:05
Hi Len Bartz, thank you for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. I will be coordinating this to our R&D's for them to be notified. Thank you for your continued support. Have a safe flight always.

Has this ever been addressed?  I would love to be able to swap the function of the wheels, it would make the dolly effect so much easier to do!  I have the RC Pro with the Mavic 3 now.
2022-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules