Someone call 911 to report an Airplane crash!!!!!!!
2095 14 2015-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
omnipresent
lvl.1

United States

Last night was full moon , so I decided to test  the I1 camera at night on the beach. I took off from the beach at around 12am and flew for like 5 minutes, just to realize that even on a full moon and all the city lights around, the camera doesn't work. However, it's really easy and fun to see the bird, with it's green and red lights. I landed the I1 with no issues and then I just lay down on the beach to appreciate the awesone clear night skies..........zzzzzzzzz.....zzzz....zz...z.....
Sundendly I started to see a bunch of flashlights spoting the beach and a couple of police officers approched some fisherman and start asking questions, I was far away but I overheard the word DRONE, holly man I got so scared.... the police officers had not seem me yet, as I was laying down between a couple of small sail boats that were on the beach. They left the fisherman alone and continue searching the beach.  At that moment I thought about runing away and just leave the scene, but soon I realize that wasn't smart.

As if I wasn't scared, I started to walk in the direction of 5 police officers standing on the beach, even though I was shaking.  They spotted their flashlights right at my face, I man up and said " I heard the word drone as I was napping on the beach after flying my drone"..... the next thing I know is they got closer to me and one of them started talking " Someone call 911 and reported an airplane crash, they saw green and red lights falling into the beach, the coast guard is coming too" . I didn't know what to say but I apologize  and explained that I was just testing the camera at night since it was a full moon and that I only flew up to 100 feet. They were vey relax and ask me to show them the drone, I open the case and they were very interested, they really like the look of the I1, they ask me about the price and about the range and camera, some really nice officers. I ask them if they wanted to see it flying, but they say NO, we don't want anymore drunks repoting airplane crashes. They took my information and let me go, thanking me for aproching them.  I got to my car and then some weird number call my phone, I answer and It was the coast guard wanting to confirm my information, the location, altitude and time of my flight.

I hope this doen't make it to the news. But I think I made the right choice.
2015-6-1
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Glad all was OK. Don't know why there was a 'need' to take you details. Its a shame that the innocent live in fear.
2015-6-2
Use props
Propslinger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19633 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think you handled yourself and the situation well. You were under the 400 ft. mark and with no bystanders around, safe to fly.
2015-6-2
Use props
Atlas
lvl.3

United States

Bravo Sir.   I feel you did the right thing.  You took responsibility (in which you were not in the wrong), investigated, managed and derailed the situation.   

BRAVO!

2015-6-2
Use props
zackski
lvl.2

United States

Thanks for telling us about your brief encounter with the search & rescue,  no doubt you handled it well, and also brings our attention to what others 'out there' could be thinking.  I have planned a beach trip (Mexico) soon so it's a great forewarning and what could possibly happen to any of us.  Thanks.  
2015-6-2
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

Similar situation with me a few months back. I Just stayed in place and continued flying no laws are being broken in fact they are bothering the flyer - ME. The craft seems to "Break the ice" and whomever responds to seeing it always wants to talk about it.  
2015-6-2
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Rockeyes Posted at 2015-6-2 16:21
Glad all was OK. Don't know why there was a 'need' to take you details. Its a shame that the innocen ...

I understand it perfectly.  The police were responding to a reported airplane crash and were there to save lives.  Some guy shows up on the beach and says "it wasn't an airplane - it was this I1, all's well."  Heaven forbid a real plane actually crashed and was at the bottom of the ocean just offshore, but if it did and speaking with you was a complete coincidence, they need to have documented their reason for leaving and not investigating further.
2015-6-2
Use props
michaelanthony.
lvl.2

United States

I applaud you for being a responsible flyer! I had thought flying at night was a no no, but after searching I can't find any regulations against it! I also have to agree anyone who has had cause to question me and then met the I1 has always left, curiousity  satisfied and with a smile on their face. It is the best of conversation pieces. Mine still continues to perform with distinction and perfection.
2015-6-2
Use props
michaelanthony.
lvl.2

United States

michaelanthony. Posted at 2015-6-3 15:05
I applaud you for being a responsible flyer! I had thought flying at night was a no no, but after se ...

Scratch my previous flying at night comment - FAA bans flying drones at night for commercial use sooooo....
2015-6-2
Use props
Linolens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

Well done there.
It gives confidence to the authorities (in your area) that someone is flying and not afraid of showing responsibility for what you were doing.
I'm glad you didn't run away.

Kudos to you
2015-6-3
Use props
chris
lvl.2
Flight distance : 240135 ft
United States

You stated that the camera did not work at night.  Are you sure you were using correct settings?  Higher ISO, slower shutter, removed ND filter?   I have been flying the Phantom 2 since it came out and recently purchased the P3 and I1 but I haven't tried flying at night.  I know GoPros can shoot very well at night and think that the I1 camera should be able to as well.  
2015-6-3
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Scary call, thanks god it was not true!
2015-6-3
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>

please update the post if they follow up.
2015-6-4
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Cool story!  Well handled too.
2015-6-6
Use props
Theo ter Haar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20730951 ft
Netherlands

There is a rule that says VFR conditions only at daytime for the drones! Well handled though!
2015-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules