Mavic 2 Pro connection issues with video
4183 18 2018-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yanme'e
lvl.1
United States

Today I once again had the intermittend connection issues and I took out the camera to document that on video. The videos are here:

: This is when the drone and controller are powered on. Connection issues start at time 1:15. It remains stable after that issue and I started flying

: This is while I'm flying and there are a few times when connection is lost: 0:11, 0:46, 1:55. During the last one I lost cotrol of th drone and it started to return home. I had to turn off and on the controller to connect again.

The connection issues are always accompanied with loss in power to the phone (the RC stops changing the phone). They happen about 1 out of 10 flight attempts.

This is what I have:

Galaxy S7: Android version 8.0.0, Kernel version 3.18.71
dji GO 4 app: 4.3.2

I don't have the RC and Mavic firmware vesrsions available right now. I'll post them later, but both have been updated within the last week.

Kai

2018-10-18
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

If you have a chance try with another device/smartphone. Maybe one on Android 7 or on Android 9.
Or an iOS device. Before you dig into possible drone issues I would make sure it happens with other devices as well.
2018-10-18
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Your issue is related to the cable you have connected to the side port of the RC and to your phone, take that cable and throw it far away and get another usb cable and connect it to the bottom port of the RC and then to your phone you would not have any issues, as you can see that your RC is not disconnecting just your app is
2018-10-18
Use props
Fre Mo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 803868 ft
France

I already saw this problem on a video and it was resolved by updating the fly safe database (and not ignoring it).
2018-10-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Get a lightning cable and connect via the USB port at the bottom of the RC.
2018-10-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi Yanme'e, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do feel sorry about the issues you had recently.  Looking at the video, you tapped "Ignore" button in updating the Precise Fly Safe Database. I highly suggest to update first and please let us know what happens. Also, you may try a different cable as it maybe loose or damaged. Should you have any concerns, kindly let us know. We're here to help you. Thank you.

2018-10-19
Use props
Yanme'e
lvl.1

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-10-19 03:37
Hi Yanme'e, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do feel sorry about the issues you had recently.  Looking at the video, you tapped "Ignore" button in updating the Precise Fly Safe Database. I highly suggest to update first and please let us know what happens. Also, you may try a different cable as it maybe loose or damaged. Should you have any concerns, kindly let us know. We're here to help you. Thank you.

[view_image]

Gamora, I have been ignoring the FlySafe data because in the past it has taken a while to update and I want fly instead of updating everything before I fly.  I'm using Airmap to see what flight restrictions are active in my area. And yes, this flight was in class D airspace, but the airport was not that close and I stayed low.

I tried updating the database this morning, but didn't get the prompt and didn't find something in the settings either.

@Fre Mo, It's interesting that updating the FlySafe database would solve this problem. I doubt that this is the intended fix for this problem. Maybe there is some interaction and it happens to work.

As for this being a cable issue, The symptoms when this happens look like a bad cable. But why is it completely stable most of the time? And I do like how the short cable connects. I'll try a different cable next time this happens, but I don't like having the connector of the cable stick into my palm.

2018-10-19
Use props
Yanme'e
lvl.1
United States

Yanme'e Posted at 2018-10-19 05:28
I tried updating the database this morning, but didn't get the prompt and didn't find something in the settings either.

I found the FlySafe update in the settings and was able to update it. I  still don't like doing this in the field, though. Especially if I don't have good internet connection.
2018-10-19
Use props
Fre Mo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 803868 ft
France

Yanme'e Posted at 2018-10-19 05:39
I found the FlySafe update in the settings and was able to update it. I  still don't like doing this in the field, though. Especially if I don't have good internet connection.

did updating fly safe zone solve the issue?
2018-10-19
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The fly safe database is not the only thing that you did not update. Your DJI GO 4 app has been updated but you are on the wrong version of FW.

It also prompts with a warning that says FW update required.

Maybe that's the reason that your Camera can't start and shows a Lock on the Record button?

Cheers
2018-10-19
Use props
Yanme'e
lvl.1
United States

Fre Mo Posted at 2018-10-19 05:55
did updating fly safe zone solve the issue?

I don't  know. It worked well yesterday evening, but that  was before I did the update.  This only happens 1 out of 10 attempts, so I won't know if it worked or a while.
2018-10-19
Use props
Yanme'e
lvl.1
United States

bjr981s Posted at 2018-10-19 06:42
The fly safe database is not the only thing that you did not update. Your DJI GO 4 app has been updated but you are on the wrong version of FW.

It also prompts with a warning that says FW update required.

yes I noticed that. But the FW was up to date and I'm not getting this prompt about outdated FW when I don't have the issues I'm describing. I have not upated the FW since the video and now it reports that I have the latest FW.

It seems that reporting "FW update required" is one symptom of the issue.

Aircraft FW: 01.00.0100
RC FW: 01.00.0100

2018-10-19
Use props
Yanme'e
lvl.1
United States

It looks like Suren was right and it was the cable. I flew today and had issues (that was after updating the FS database this morning). Changing to a cable that connects to the other USB port made the issues go away. When I tried again, with the short cable, the issues came back.

Thanks everybody.  I can't edit the OP to save people from having to read the thread.

I think dji needs to design a cable that works better. It's really awkward to hold the controller now. The do make cables with a 90deg bend. I'll have to try that.
2018-10-19
Use props
fansef08c189
New

Poland

I used to have the same issue. Using the full size USB port on the controller solved the problem. The phone is Note 9. I still think DJI should look into this cause is a bit annoying
2018-10-20
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yanme'e Posted at 2018-10-19 07:03
yes I noticed that. But the FW was up to date and I'm not getting this prompt about outdated FW when I don't have the issues I'm describing. I have not upated the FW since the video and now it reports that I have the latest FW.

It seems that reporting "FW update required" is one symptom of the issue.

Wow that is really interesting. That means DJI have not implemented a transport level 4 protocol on the link.

This would account for a lot of strange behaviour due to data corruption on the wire. They don't check the actual data transport. This is Communications Protocol 101 stuff.

Would also account for the trouble that people have with FW updates. Any cable / comm issue will cause corruption of the data stream.

They should fix this.

Cheers.
2018-10-20
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

After watching the video, I was going to come and comment about the cable being the potential problem as well.  In the video, especially the later part of the video, you can see that you still have a good connection between the RC and aircraft while the phone screen is saying there is a disconnect.  During this time, you can see that stick inputs relate to distance changes on the RC's screen.  This is a good hint that the issue was likely the cable or something between the RC/Phone and not in the aircraft itself.  
Glad you were able to get it worked out and can confidently fly again.  
2018-10-20
Use props
Yanme'e
lvl.1

It might be anecdotal,  but I seem to get more a more laggy video link when using a different cable. It's not as smooth as it used to be. Do I need to get high quality cable to get a better data rate?

I haven't tried a side-by-side experiment yet.

Kai
2018-10-20
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Try turning on the remote controller first , Drone second and then load up the DJI Go 4 app , and you are using a USB cable connected to the bottom of the controller ? Try the charging cable  ( USB )that came with your phone.
2018-10-20
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Never had a problem with the side cable. First unfold the props, then turn RC on, then turn phone on, then turn on GO4. I also Never update the safe database since I know where am flying before I fly.
When you are done do the opposite, turn off GO4, turn battery off then RC OFF.

2018-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules