Computer config for realtime playback 4K H265?
3714 16 2018-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lee Brunet
lvl.1
Flight distance : 101345 ft
Canada

Hi,

I'm currently building myself a computer and would like to know whats your configurations for smooth and non-buffering skipping playbacks. Please name drop yout PC setups! Thanks.

Here's my current quote. - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/pXYYw6

Thanks in advance!
2018-10-19
Use props
theothernt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 436171 ft
Ireland

Realtime playback in what sense, something like VLC or Adobe Premiere Pro?
2018-10-19
Use props
Lee Brunet
lvl.1
Flight distance : 101345 ft
Canada

Yes, both. Real-time editing in Première and playback in VLC
2018-10-19
Use props
theothernt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 436171 ft
Ireland

VLC playback should be fine as Intel introduced HVEC acceleration a few generations back. Plus, depending on the OS, there can be GPU acceleration - either way, you're fine.

Editing is a little trickier as I'm not sure anyone has benchmarked that specific workload - most video deal with setting up proxies, which I assume you want to avoid.

Also, Adobe did improve their CPU/GPU acceleration in Premiere but most videos cover the rending-side of things, and not workflow (ie. skipping through the timeline while editing) as much. Anyway, I have a few videos that might help...

2018-10-19
Use props
Novadesigns
lvl.2

Use MediaEncoder to transcode to Apple Prores or Cineform. You're not going to get realtime playback. As soon as you start editing it will fall apart, even if you can play a raw clip. Premiere is a DOG when it comes to H.265.
2018-10-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Hope you'll get the best recommendation for you configurations of your computer. Thank you for the support.
2018-10-21
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

That hardware should be able to handle just about anything, good spec'.

I was getting 'prompted' to upgrade my copy of Vegas Movie Studio Platinum from V14 to the latest V15. I did wonder if it would be worthwhile, as well as HEVC (H265) support there was mention of improved support for NVIDIA GPU rendering.
So I jumped, and an eight minute 4k @ 30fps file takes about 52 minutes to render to 4k @ 60 fps using V14 (H264, no real GPU usage in rendering). I was pleasantly surprised though when the same file took 21 minutes to render at 4k @ 60 fps in V15 (H264), and 22 minutes to render 4k @ 60 fps using H265 codec using V15.

A big difference and use of the NVIDIA GPU (1080 TI) was easily seen in task manager.

So as much about software as hardware and what support it gives to the modern GPUs for rendering.

2018-10-21
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
lvl.4
Flight distance : 221476 ft
United Kingdom

I have a 7940x overclocked to 4.6ghz, 64gb ddr4 3200mhz ram and premiere pro still spits its dummy out. Premiere pro is so badly optimized you're never gonna get real time editing with prosumer equipment. From your list I'd drop the 1080 and get a 1070 ti which is what I use, very rarely does premiere use the graphics card, mostly it sits at 4%. The only time I see it make a difference is with Neat Video and even then it's not 100%.
2018-10-22
Use props
M Stuart K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-10-21 15:30
That hardware should be able to handle just about anything, good spec'.

I was getting 'prompted' to upgrade my copy of Vegas Movie Studio Platinum from V14 to the latest V15. I did wonder if it would be worthwhile, as well as HEVC (H265) support there was mention of improved support for NVIDIA GPU rendering.

Thanks; I experienced the same improvements in render speed when I upgraded to vegas MS 15.  I have a very powerful computer but the playback for 4K H265 still stutters.  
2018-10-22
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>

M Stuart K Posted at 2018-10-22 04:29
Thanks; I experienced the same improvements in render speed when I upgraded to vegas MS 15.  I have a very powerful computer but the playback for 4K H265 still stutters.

There must be a bottleneck somewhere on the system, I don't have much in the way of HEVC files myself but downloaded test samples from Here.

Now the 400Mb/s sample stutters a bit using windows media player, but is smooth using 'Films & TV' (free download from MS store).

My desktop uses i7 X980 six core (12 logical) @ 3.33GHz (stock speed), 24GB triple channel memory, 240GB SATA II SSD, 1.5TB hard drive, Gigabyte EX58 (socket 1366 ;-(  ) motherboard. All of which are about five or six years old now. And a Gigabyte GTX1080 TI GPU, less than one year old, I suspect this makes a difference.

I was almost ready to create a newer machine round the GPU but did a clean install of latest Win10 (the MS upgrade path failed for me), and it's all working well.
2018-10-22
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>

M Stuart K Posted at 2018-10-22 04:29

I was looking at the spec' for Vegas, HEVC (H265) appears to be only supported in the 'Platinum' & 'Suite' variants of the editing software.
2018-10-22
Use props
orbitrob
lvl.2
Canada

Hi Lee,

I just saw your post and i'm wondering how you made out?! Did you end up building a computer that can edit H265 from the Mavic 2 Pro without stuttering in Premiere? (without having to make proxies).
I've been a Sony Vegas user for years, using an older computer - so i'm beginning my research to figure out what kind of hardware i need to actually work with H265 footage.

I'm also considering if i need to move to away from Sony Vegas and embrace Adobe Premiere or DaVinci Resolve to get better playback when editing.
Any thoughts are highly appreciated!

Rob aka orbitrob
2019-4-3
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

orbitrob Posted at 4-3 08:17
Hi Lee,

I just saw your post and i'm wondering how you made out?! Did you end up building a computer that can edit H265 from the Mavic 2 Pro without stuttering in Premiere? (without having to make proxies).

Sony Vegas' sibling 'Movie Studio Platinum 15' handles H265 well, the big one being that with V15 it utilises the GPU to help with rendering. And with my setup (see post 10) it renders H265 video substantially faster than movie studio premier V14 (based on CPU rendering). IF I remember correctly it halves the time taken to render (V15 settings need to be adjusted for GPU to be used), and allows for 'real time' adjustments in the editor before rendering. So in my case the oomph is in the GPU, but there are a number of cheaper NVIDIA cards now that might well fit the job just as well.

And movie studio V15 comes well featured, and at a moderate price in comparison to the full blown Vegas.
2019-4-3
Use props
orbitrob
lvl.2
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 4-3 12:12
Sony Vegas' sibling 'Movie Studio Platinum 15' handles H265 well, the big one being that with V15 it utilises the GPU to help with rendering. And with my setup (see post 10) it renders H265 video substantially faster than movie studio premier V14 (based on CPU rendering). IF I remember correctly it halves the time taken to render (V15 settings need to be adjusted for GPU to be used), and allows for 'real time' adjustments in the editor before rendering. So in my case the oomph is in the GPU, but there are a number of cheaper NVIDIA cards now that might well fit the job just as well.

And movie studio V15 comes well featured, and at a moderate price in comparison to the full blown Vegas.

Thanks Aarrdvark for the info. I didn't know that about Movie Studio.
Much appreciated.

Rob.
2019-4-4
Use props
djiuser_G9fgUFxvR5qR
lvl.1

United States

Aardvark Posted at 2019-4-3 12:12
Sony Vegas' sibling 'Movie Studio Platinum 15' handles H265 well, the big one being that with V15 it utilises the GPU to help with rendering. And with my setup (see post 10) it renders H265 video substantially faster than movie studio premier V14 (based on CPU rendering). IF I remember correctly it halves the time taken to render (V15 settings need to be adjusted for GPU to be used), and allows for 'real time' adjustments in the editor before rendering. So in my case the oomph is in the GPU, but there are a number of cheaper NVIDIA cards now that might well fit the job just as well.

So which render preset did you use and how do you make sure that the GPU settings are correct?
2020-12-26
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

I am using a 4 year old computer with Pinnacle Studio 24 Ultimate pro user software and is working fine with 4K H264/H265  videos since I started with 4K about 2-3 years ago. I do not use a graphics card at all and use the internal CPU Intel® HD  Graphics 630. All other items as follows.    Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming K5,   Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD,  INTEL Core I7-7700K 4,2GHz LGA1151 8M Cache CPU 4 cores 8 threads,  Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 8GB,  Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU,  MS Win 10 Home Sv Oem 64B
2020-12-27
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Any relatively modern i7 or upwards CPU should handle h265 without effort.
2020-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules