DJI Mavic 2 PRO: 10Bit Color Grading Comparison (Dlog-M / My Smar...
4890 16 2018-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
S t e f a n
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4719222 ft
  • >>>

I've been working on my future color grading for the M2P for many hours/days now.

Left = Dlog-M / Middle = My Smart Color Grading / Right = DJI LUT

I work with intelligent color grading.
The individual images are analyzed and dynamically adjusted, there are no fixed specifications or values.
Thus, one gets the highest possible contrast at any time without loss of drawing in the dark or bright image areas.
Many videographers therefore often work with very flat S-curves in order to lose as little drawing as possible (maximum dynamic range).
The disadvantage of this method is that there is always a grey veil over the video, but some also like to write film look.
For me this is a mistake in the system I don't have it in my photos and don't want to see it in my videos either.
The great art here is to work with high contrasts, but without losing the drawing in the dark or bright image areas.
That's almost a contradiction in terms, both are almost impossible, but you all know that yourself and have always been a problem with photography.

To 80% I am content with it, here and there I will certainly still readjust something... but first I want to stay away from this project for a few days and then fine-tune it with fresh eyes.

What do you think about the result?

2018-10-19
Use props
Celsus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

The SMART color grading looks good, perhaps a touch over saturated. The image also appears sharper which I like. Nice work
2018-10-19
Use props
tylerjhill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 34014006 ft
United States

Looks awesome! What program do you use for grading? Have been using FCPX 10.4 to grade DLOG and have had some decent results so far.. need to spend more time, but your sample looks awesome!
2018-10-19
Use props
Fre Mo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 803868 ft

Great job.
2018-10-19
Use props
Sky Carrier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 590102 ft
Netherlands

Job well done Stefan. Your Smart Color Grading looks amazing. Can you share with how you did it? Maybe provide the LUT?
2018-10-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there, thank you for sharing your video and your LUT samples as well, well done. Fly safely. Cheers!
2018-10-21
Use props
vmaidensphoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6352 ft
United Kingdom

You did a brilliant job, that's as good as I've seen
2018-10-22
Use props
rutacrew
lvl.3
Flight distance : 335413 ft
United Kingdom

Great job.
2018-10-22
Use props
Balaes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14241171 ft
  • >>>
Romania

great job, it would be nice if you share this LUT with us ...
2018-10-22
Use props
SamDownUnder
lvl.3
Flight distance : 112989 ft
Australia

I would love to know more about the tool you are using to do the smart color grading??  Is it something you have written?
2018-10-22
Use props
LoMackz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 183704 ft
Sweden

Please share your smart lut
2018-10-22
Use props
Thriller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374337 ft
Italy

Good job! Thanks
2018-10-23
Use props
Zatx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

Great job. I would love to know how you created that video with the three versions lined up like that.

Your LUT looks great, but for my own tastes, the reds look a little unnatural. The brick on those smoke stacks isn't that dark saturated red as well as some of the foliage in the trees.
2018-10-23
Use props
S t e f a n
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4719222 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Here you can find my new 10-Bit Color Garding Version 2 (SMART LUT)
This time also with more information.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-170779-1-1.html
2018-10-28
Use props
Vendex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16722920 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Thanks for share
2018-10-28
Use props
JJB.UK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 408451 ft
United Kingdom

I think the idea of Log is to give the sensor the camera the best change to record the max highlights and the max detail in the shadows . I prefer your grade rather than the DJI lut . I think the DJI lut is a basic guide of a good look but i feel that if you can grade yourself you can get it exactly how you like it for the particular shot you are on. shooting into the sun will be a different exposure to shooting the side of the mountain in the shade. one Lut cant cover all of that . I really like what you are doing and although I am a cameraman by profession I am relatively New to drone filming and grading the images and wanting to learn as much as I can . I can see you have a real skill in flying and the grading.
2020-10-14
Use props
CPPhotographycy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18699416 ft
  • >>>
Cyprus

Nice lut i subbed on youtube
2020-10-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now