Gimbal Motor Load Too Large, IMU calibration, Mavic Pro
14716 24 2018-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FeedtheFied
lvl.1

My Mavic Pro has developed a gimbal issue, error code is Gimbal Motor Load Too Large. When I start the Mavic Pro, the gimbal immediately turns the camera slightly to its left, then it violently flips up and down to its extremes for a few seconds until it restarts itself, only to repeat the same issue. It hangs in a clearly abnormal home position UNTIL I perform an IMU calibration, at which point the gimbal rights itself.

Still, the gimbal isn't functioning properly. At this point, I can perform side-to-side movements, but it clearly has an issue with up and down movement. The issue is further evidenced when I, at this point, perform a gimbal auto calibration. When it calibrates the up and down movement, it lurches while moving up and down.

I have never crashed my Mavic Pro, and the issue arose after a routine flight. I have since updated the firmware, then performed both IMU and gimbal calibrations, to no avail.

There appear to be no foreign elements that could be jamming the gimbal, and it also doesn't appear to be contacting any part of the drone unusually. It hangs properly from the anti-drop hooks.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing this specific gimbal error? Also, what course of action could I take to counteract the issue?

Thanks in advance!
2018-10-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi FeedtheFied, I'm so sorry to read the troubles. According to your description, I'm afraid that it cannot be figured out remotely, please kindly start a case and send it in here: https://www.dji.com/support The designated team will do damage assessment and offer you a proper solution once the package arrived.
2018-10-19
Use props
FeedtheFied
lvl.1

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-10-19 19:21
Hi FeedtheFied, I'm so sorry to read the troubles. According to your description, I'm afraid that it cannot be figured out remotely, please kindly start a case and send it in here: https://www.dji.com/support The designated team will do damage assessment and offer you a proper solution once the package arrived.

Hi DJI Susan, thanks for the quick response. Is there a cost (other than shipping) to send my drone to DJI and receive it back, should I choose not to have the service performed? Since I don't know the cost of service up front, I don't know if I can afford to have it repaired, and wanted to make sure there isn't an unexpected fee for having the drone returned to me, or for having it examined.
2018-10-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

FeedtheFied Posted at 2018-10-19 19:35
Hi DJI Susan, thanks for the quick response. Is there a cost (other than shipping) to send my drone to DJI and receive it back, should I choose not to have the service performed? Since I don't know the cost of service up front, I don't know if I can afford to have it repaired, and wanted to make sure there isn't an unexpected fee for having the drone returned to me, or for having it examined.

Thanks for getting back to us. Once the case created, the team will check whether your address is eligible for the shipping label. If not, I'm afraid that you may send the unit in at your own cost, sorry about this.

As for the repair cost, it can only be confirmed after the designated team receive the package and do the damage assessment. Here is the price link for accessories, you may estimate in advance: https://repair.dji.com/repair/price-inquiry Hope it helps.
2018-10-20
Use props
fans01704c6f
lvl.1
United States

Hi FeedtheFied - did you ever find a resolution to this? my Mavic is exhibiting identical errors. Though, it freezes on Gimbal Calibration and gives an error message for firmware updates.
2018-11-17
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Both of you guys, try refreshing the firmware on both AC and RC - then make a new IMU calibration on a perfectly level surface. When that is done, do a gimbal calibration at the same surface. Updating/refreshing the firmware may occasionally fail, but in most cases it will eventually succeed if done correctly. Update/refresh either via connected device, or via DJI Assistant 2 software.
2018-11-18
Use props
fans01704c6f
lvl.1
United States

FlyDK Posted at 11-18 01:13
Both of you guys, try refreshing the firmware on both AC and RC - then make a new IMU calibration on a perfectly level surface. When that is done, do a gimbal calibration at the same surface. Updating/refreshing the firmware may occasionally fail, but in most cases it will eventually succeed if done correctly. Update/refresh either via connected device, or via DJI Assistant 2 software.

Thanks FlyDK - will try that and report back.
2018-11-18
Use props
Zyras
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Your gimble turns side to side on command? Mine has never done that... Guess i need to go hunt some settings.
2018-11-18
Use props
FeedtheFied
lvl.1
United States

fans01704c6f Posted at 11-17 21:21
Hi FeedtheFied - did you ever find a resolution to this? my Mavic is exhibiting identical errors. Though, it freezes on Gimbal Calibration and gives an error message for firmware updates.

Hey fans, I sent my Mavic to DJI for repair. There was only 1 part that needed to be replaced, the "gimbal arm module." $59 for the part, $65 for the labor, totaling $124 to get my drone back. Not a bad deal.

Oddly enough, they sent me a new Mavic Pro. No complaints here.
2018-11-19
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

FeedtheFied Posted at 11-19 15:20
Hey fans, I sent my Mavic to DJI for repair. There was only 1 part that needed to be replaced, the "gimbal arm module." $59 for the part, $65 for the labor, totaling $124 to get my drone back. Not a bad deal.

Oddly enough, they sent me a new Mavic Pro. No complaints here.

Hardly a brand new one, but most likely a refurbished unit that should be as good as a new one nevertheless. Good luck and happy flying.
2018-11-19
Use props
fansdad6a3f8
lvl.1

United States

So are y’all happy to pay for something that wasn’t your fault? They are charging me 175$ to fix this issue. I personally think it’s kind of bs with this happening to so many of these drones. Kind of funny how just after warranty things start breaking ...
2018-11-20
Use props
FeedtheFied
lvl.1
United States

fansdad6a3f8 Posted at 11-20 03:40
So are y’all happy to pay for something that wasn’t your fault? They are charging me 175$ to fix this issue. I personally think it’s kind of bs with this happening to so many of these drones. Kind of funny how just after warranty things start breaking ...

I'm with you fans, but I'm also not the first owner, so I can't really be certain that there was never an issue with mistreatment of the drone. I just wanted my drone back, and was afraid of an even more expensive fix.
2018-11-21
Use props
Armazia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 125069 ft
Netherlands

FeedtheFied Posted at 11-21 08:04
I'm with you fans, but I'm also not the first owner, so I can't really be certain that there was never an issue with mistreatment of the drone. I just wanted my drone back, and was afraid of an even more expensive fix.

I know the feels. I had gimbal issues as well. Fixed it myself, but these fixes are very intense and the gimbal part is just really brittle. I replaced the gimbal arm, flatcable and lateron even the camera transmission cable. But seeing the price you payed for it, I would have done the same.
2018-11-23
Use props
MavicKaput
lvl.1
Australia

I'm having the same issue as you first described here, camera is tilted 30 degrees, gimbal is just going retarded and flipping around all berserk, getting overload warnings, and remove gimbal clamp warnings, can not successfully calibrate after 15 attempts already. Had only just updated the firmware and then boom, everything was working fine previously. Pretty filthy as I don't have a warranty and I have shown nothing but care and really looked after this thing.

Is there any possible solutions other than sending for repairs?
2018-12-4
Use props
FeedtheFied
lvl.1
United States

MavicKaput Posted at 12-4 03:48
I'm having the same issue as you first described here, camera is tilted 30 degrees, gimbal is just going retarded and flipping around all berserk, getting overload warnings, and remove gimbal clamp warnings, can not successfully calibrate after 15 attempts already. Had only just updated the firmware and then boom, everything was working fine previously. Pretty filthy as I don't have a warranty and I have shown nothing but care and really looked after this thing.

Is there any possible solutions other than sending for repairs?

MavicKaput, I can't say there's a viable solution unless you have technical experience. This wasn't a fix I felt I was qualified for, and as described above by Armazia, it's a challenging process that isn't worth it, but that it's better to send it in. I know it's rough because we didn't do anything to damage our drones, but it is what it is.
2018-12-4
Use props
MavicKaput
lvl.1
Australia

FeedtheFied Posted at 12-4 08:20
MavicKaput, I can't say there's a viable solution unless you have technical experience. This wasn't a fix I felt I was qualified for, and as described above by Armazia, it's a challenging process that isn't worth it, but that it's better to send it in. I know it's rough because we didn't do anything to damage our drones, but it is what it is.

Yeah it seems the only option really, pretty filthy about it. Factory reset pointless right?
2018-12-4
Use props
FeedtheFied
lvl.1
United States

MavicKaput Posted at 12-4 15:58
Yeah it seems the only option really, pretty filthy about it. Factory reset pointless right?

I'm assuming so, since they had to replace a physical part in order to correct the problem.
2018-12-4
Use props
RobBVa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13120 ft
United States

This seems to be an issue with the Mavic.  I to have a Mavic Pro.  I've been flying it for about 6 months with no issues at all, never crashed or any hard landings.  I received the message that I needed to update the firmware during a flight last week and after the update I started getting the gimbal with epileptic attacks.  I've tried as others to re calibrate everything, reset everything to no avail.  This issue is definitely not due to my error, but rather a Dji issue.  Hopefully Dji will redesign and or rebuild this gimbal so this issue doesn't continue.  If it were a random Mavic I could understand, but it looks like this is a very common problem.  As several of you have mentioned, Dji should fix this issue at no charge provided the issue was not a user error.  My bird had been flying flawlessly up until I did the firmware update and now I'm grounded until it can be repaired.  Signed Not Happy!!!
2019-2-21
Use props
rstellhorn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 604478 ft
United States

I too have been experiencing these issues.  My Mavic Pro, bought new in Feb of 2017, has flown perfectly since day 1. No crashes, no hard landings, with over 25 hours of total flight time. I take great care of this thing, I always use the gimbal lock and cover, and I keep it inside it's sleeve and a Pelican case at all times.

Recently after the last updates my gimbal has started to exhibit this problem. It won't initialize on power up, giving the gimbal motor is overloaded error. After several tries it will sometimes finally succeed and I can get a normal flight in. I had it under DJI care + which expired without ever using it once, and I was about to do the refresh when it was offered but missed it. I really don't want to send it in for a $200 bill for something that shouldn't be happening.

As I'm a technician, I'll probably take a shot at repairing it myself. it just sucks tho that I have to. Not happy.
2019-2-21
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4
Flight distance : 720446 ft
Canada

I am in the same problem, is this new update the cause?
2019-7-20
Use props
Cezary9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 814003 ft
Poland

The same problem.
Appears suddenly , no physical causes.
after starting Mavic camera is moving inadequate, repeating   movements + no possibility to control gimbal
calibrating gimbal will failed.
please help DJI.
will be really happy when You solve this.
2019-7-20
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4
Flight distance : 720446 ft
Canada

Cezary9 Posted at 7-20 17:26
The same problem.
Appears suddenly , no physical causes.
after starting Mavic camera is moving inadequate, repeating   movements + no possibility to control gimbal

I haven’t used my drone,
Last time it worked, when I took it out for a simple check before my flight tomorrow, the gimbal failed.

I will be damned to learn to have to pay for repairs. Nothing was done by the user and if they can’t diagnose that then idunno what to say. This problem seems to happen often.
2019-7-20
Use props
Cezary9
lvl.1
Poland

i noticed one condition causes solving problem.
i blocked  gimbal control platform on a elastic shake preventing elements
when its no possibility to move/shake  platform problem disappears . calibration succesfull
was tested only on ground with fixed stable platform motors off
but when platrofm is released to normal function problem exists.
trying software reinstal few times  - no efffect

dear DJI help pls

2019-7-20
Use props
Cezary9
lvl.1
Poland

simply thinking(in my opinion)
will happend suddenly and  number of cases  is increase
in diffrent users and conditions
dji solving directions are randomly working
no possibility to self make by users in many cases at the same time.
suggest problem is on DJI company side.
blah blah
will believe they fixed this fast. no sending to service will be needed
but bad feelings will stay when classy device make this.
2019-7-20
Use props
Cezary9
lvl.1
Poland

till this time  most my problems was solved with soft upgrade or reinstal etc
for example  producer says that mavic pro should be working with propelers from mavic pro  platinium  - but wont after few upgrades problem was dissapear
but this situation eliminates mavic from normal usage. no flight ability.
2019-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules