Pro Drone Operator Shows How to Deal with Angry Citizen
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Kudos to this Professional (Part 107) Drone Operator, he shows how to properly deal with the misinformed public and an angry citizen.  In today's electrified environment where people can go from calm to a flying rage in 0.6 seconds, it is critical that drone operators everywhere (Pros or not) know their rules & laws and remain calm, always.  This could have gone badly if the operator had not kept is calm demeanor and addressed the irrational person as he did.  Additionally, good for the police who seem to be getting the word that not all drone operators are evil spies or peeping toms.  They didn't even really question the whole operation from the start.  The dispatcher tried to explain to the angry bird from the start that it was not illegal for the operator to be there doing what he was doing.  Then, when the officer showed up it was not even up for discussion, he pretty much told the upset citizen to take a walk and leave the operator alone, really kind of funny when you see it.
So, here you go, I'm throwing this out on the forum for folks to see and learn from it...follow this professional's example.  He gets two thumbs up from me

DISCLAIMER: By sharing this video I am in no way endorsing this drone operators business, just the message it sends.

2018-10-20
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft

Good on him, he acted professional and did what he had to. Ignored the angry dude that doesnt know what his talkiing about and the cobs got his back. Great job to that guy
2018-10-20
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft

2018-10-20
Use props
PowerBand1
lvl.3

Australia

Yeah...leave him alone.
2018-10-20
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've started setting up a DSLR on a tripod, recording from the moment I arrive and take the DJI case out of the truck. My one incident happened so fast I didn't have time to even think about turning on a camera. So now I make the camera this first thing I do when I get there. The cop was awesome. He didn't even bother the pilot. Nice job!

Jeff
2018-10-20
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Definitely a 2 thumbs up for the pilot. He acted in a proffesional manner which is a credit to him.
Thanks for sharing this with us..
2018-10-20
Use props
Dex
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814767 ft
Australia

Another good trick is just to wear a high visibility jacket.

Nobody ever questions a man in a high visibility jacket.
2018-10-20
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Dex Posted at 2018-10-20 18:15

NOT so sure that is true anymore, at least in all cases, too many people are far to ready to challenge authority regardless of who it is...it's like they have a perpetual chip on their shoulder.

However, that said, I agree that is a good idea...I've seen such vests/jackets on Amazon and other places and I do see how that might fend off the more tepid folks who have concerns about drones.

This, of course assumes the drone operator is acting and bahaving in a proper/professional manner...otherwise all bets are off there
2018-10-20
Use props
Dale 68
lvl.4
Flight distance : 338468 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Brilliant, well done to him for keeping his calm.
2018-10-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi Genghis9, thanks for sharing this to our co-pilots. Have a safe flight always.
2018-10-21
Use props
embayweather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

A double thumbs up from me too, and great that the cops supported him. Progress!
2018-10-21
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

A true professional
2018-10-21
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
  • >>>

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-10-20 20:33
NOT so sure that is true anymore, at least in all cases, too many people are far to ready to challenge authority regardless of who it is...it's like they have a perpetual chip on their shoulder.

However, that said, I agree that is a good idea...I've seen such vests/jackets on Amazon and other places and I do see how that might fend off the more tepid folks who have concerns about drones.

I just looked on Amazon, and some of these are a little bit questionable IMO. This one looks pretty dang official. If not just a little bit scammy.

If I was getting a lot of flack (I'm not, only one incident so far) I'd probably get one of these just to have handy.

Jeff
2018-10-21
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-10-21 18:01
I just looked on Amazon, and some of these are a little bit questionable IMO. This one looks pretty dang official. If not just a little bit scammy.

If I was getting a lot of flack (I'm not, only one incident so far) I'd probably get one of these just to have handy.

I get your point, it can be a fine line between overstating your position or just trying to state who/what you are.  I'd say the vest you indicated is OK, if you have a Part 107, then it is technically correct as to what it says.
If you are running a fairly successful business then I'd consider that a worthwhile investment to add to your other ProGear; as you note, to have just in case.
2018-10-21
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-10-21 18:01
I just looked on Amazon, and some of these are a little bit questionable IMO. This one looks pretty dang official. If not just a little bit scammy.

If I was getting a lot of flack (I'm not, only one incident so far) I'd probably get one of these just to have handy.

And its also compatible with many dji drones so thats always a bonus
2018-10-21
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
  • >>>

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-10-21 22:45
And its also compatible with many dji drones so thats always a bonus

I saw that! Made me smile.

Jeff
2018-10-22
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

thanks for sharing.more people need education on drones.
2018-10-22
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

Dex Posted at 2018-10-20 18:15

I agree, I have a bright orange vest with FAA registered drone pilot stenciled on it and have had police drive bye look at the vest and move on no problems so far. Knock on wood.
2018-10-22
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

My new neighbor across the road (formerly woods) is just like that idiot who called the cops. Same attitude and personality. Thankfully he hasn't noticed my P4P, but he calls the cops every time I turn on my stereo on a Friday afternoon.
2018-10-24
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-10-24 17:06
My new neighbor across the road (formerly woods) is just like that idiot who called the cops. Same attitude and personality. Thankfully he hasn't noticed my P4P, but he calls the cops every time I turn on my stereo on a Friday afternoon.

Maybe you should try playing classical music...

Above all else keep your cool like the dude in the vid
2018-10-24
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-10-24 17:08
Maybe you should try playing classical music...

Above all else keep your cool like the dude in the vid

LOL.. I do, sometimes. But one does not have a 20,000 watt sound system to play Beethoven. Sometimes I like to listen to Japanese pop music and feel the bass.
My way of dealing with it is to inform the cop that I've been doing this for the 52 years that I've lived in this house. The new guy should have been more careful about where he moved in.
Eventually, the cops got tired of responding to his constant calls. He's the ONLY one who complains.
But that guy in the video acts EXACTLY like this jerk across the road from me.
2018-10-25
Use props
TheVegeta1974
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

im 6'2" n 280lb  ive been into body building weight lift for 30 years
im not sure this will ever be a problem for me
2019-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now