WARNING : Braking now, return stick to midpoints first then fly
13602 33 2018-10-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJ_Fan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 617405 ft

Crashed my 1st M2P and sent it for repair.
Bought the 2nd M2P and flew it for 3-4 days and now on a road trip, all of a sudden this WARNING showed and I'm not allowed to fly.The message only pops up right after lift-off. Never seen this message in either drones.

Alert beeping +  Braking now, return stick to midpoints first then continue flying

I have already crashed one so I'm not flying this anymore until I get a definitive answer for this. I have phyiscally checked everything on the outside of the M2P and I do not see anything wrong with it.

When I got home, I hovered it about 3ft above ground and I got the same error. On closer examination, I see these issues:
  • After I landed the craft, I see this error in red "Obstacle Avoidance Temporary Error"
  • I also see a red alert icon on the top line menu. When I touched it, it went to the Visual Navigation Settings. And, it says in the first line: Obstacle Avoidance disabled and a red icon on the left.

And, yes, I have updated the drone,  the CS and the RC to the latest firmware.

2018-10-20
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dude, calibrate the sticks and see if the problem persist.
2018-10-20
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4

dronist Posted at 2018-10-20 18:22
Dude, calibrate the sticks and see if the problem persist.

Just did it and there is no difference. Same error.
2018-10-20
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

You have 2 differnet issues here.

Firstly the obstacle sensors disabled and inactive on the ground is a new "feature" of the latest firmware, they dont enable until after takeoff.

The other sounds like the vision sensors could do with calibrating via assistant 2.

I get a LOT more reflection and collision false alarms on my M2 than my M1 ever did during flight.  It seems much more prone to false detections.  Solution is to fly sideways, backwards, turn the drone around or disable the OA in the tricky lighting conditions causing it.

2018-10-20
Use props
Squashpile
lvl.4
Flight distance : 214019 ft
United States

I see this when landing and obstacle detection is sensing nearby objects. In my case a fence. Never been a problem. On older Go 4 versions it would only show this info in the log. Seems it shows in the app now too. Basically saying slow down something is near.
2018-10-20
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4

Thanks for the responses to help.

Just so you know, I have never seen this ERROR MESSAGE before in either M2P.
2018-10-20
Use props
Corvus monedula
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3550594 ft

gnirtS Posted at 2018-10-20 19:11

Firstly the obstacle sensors disabled and inactive on the ground is a new "feature" of the latest firmware, they dont enable until after takeoff.

Strange, I was getting much more false obstacle detections on M1P than on M2P.

Anyway – when that happens on M2P, side sensors are disabled in P mode, so sideways flight remains an option. Plus you can still have forward camera vision when flying sideways thanks to roting gimbal!
2018-10-20
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4

When I disabled the rear sensors, the ERROR went away but I 'd be flying blind in the rear.
So, I'm now thinking something is wrong with the rear sensors after a few days of flying.
2018-10-21
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4

gnirtS Posted at 2018-10-20 19:11

Firstly the obstacle sensors disabled and inactive on the ground is a new "feature" of the latest firmware, they dont enable until after takeoff.

>> Firstly the obstacle sensors disabled and inactive on the ground is a new "feature" of the latest firmware, they dont enable until after takeoff.

Where did you get this? Is this in some kind of release notes or you found it out yourself?

When I touched the red icon > Obstacle Avoidance disabled, it says:
Vision systems currently are not available. The switch not being turned on, being S-mode or A-mode, or hardware failure may have caused the vision system to not be available.
Seems to say that Vision Systems are off because of:
  • P-mode or T-mode is not ON  or
  • hardware failure

I know mine is on P-mode. So, the only option left is [2] hardware failure. This is most unfortunate since the drone is only less than a week old.
2018-10-21
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

DJ_Fan Posted at 2018-10-21 07:19
>> Firstly the obstacle sensors disabled and inactive on the ground is a new "feature" of the latest firmware, they dont enable until after takeoff.

Where did you get this? Is this in some kind of release notes or you found it out yourself?

The "feature" is discussed in a longer thread in the Mavic 2 Zoom forum.  When it lands or before take-off the "obstacle" sensors seem to be disabled in the newest firmware.
2018-10-21
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4
United States

I think I'm getting closer to the end of the tunnel ...

Today, I received my 1st M2P back from your Repair Center.

I lifted it off using my 1st RC and my iPhone and it behaved fine without this WARNING (Rapid Alert beeping + “Braking now, return stick to midpoints …”). It has a mild message saying Obstacle Avoidance without beeping.

However, if I switch to CS, I get that warning message plus none stop ALERT beeping and YELLOW warning message on the screen. The message about shifting the stick back to midpoint is very alarming to the user. It sounded like the stick is stuck and the firmware is not detecting the stick position correctly when what it actually meant was the rear sensors have detected obstacles.

So, looks like the rear sensors are flagging alerts that are displayed with milder messages in DJI GO 4 app while the warnings are more dramatic in CS.
2018-10-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

DJ_Fan Posted at 2018-10-25 16:57

if I switch to CS, I get that warning message plus none stop ALERT beeping and YELLOW warning message on the screen.

Doesn't CrystalSky run a different version of GO-4 than what is available for either iOS or Android OS?
2018-10-25
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-10-25 19:17
if I switch to CS, I get that warning message plus none stop ALERT beeping and YELLOW warning message on the screen.

Doesn't CrystalSky run a different version of GO-4 than what is available for either iOS or Android OS?

How do I check what version of DJI Go4 app is CS running?
2018-10-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

DJ_Fan Posted at 2018-10-25 19:30
How do I check what version of DJI Go4 app is CS running?

Should show version of DJI Go-4 and Android OS under Settings / About menu.

I don't have my Cs-Ub with me, or I would get you exact menu (touch) sequence.  Sorry.
2018-10-25
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

CS generally runs an older (by 1 to 3 or so revisions normally) version of the Android Go4.  DJI support for CS is dismal.
But the update (i) disables the OA sensors on some setups meaning initially you need to go into the menu and toggle off/on the sensors to reset them.  Then the behaviour change means sensors are inop on the ground and only turn "on" whiles in the air (although the radar bar works).
2018-10-25
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-10-25 23:01
CS generally runs an older (by 1 to 3 or so revisions normally) version of the Android Go4.  DJI support for CS is dismal.
But the update (i) disables the OA sensors on some setups meaning initially you need to go into the menu and toggle off/on the sensors to reset them.  Then the behaviour change means sensors are inop on the ground and only turn "on" whiles in the air (although the radar bar works).

That's an interesting factoid. I'll check it out.
Do you know  where in the Go4 menu to toggle the OA sensors?

So, are u saying that the latest GO4 app on iPhones is set to turned OFF OA sensors (by default) when aircraft is on the ground but this will automatically be turned back ON when in the air?
2018-10-26
Use props
Zatx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

Corvus monedula Posted at 2018-10-20 22:27
Strange, I was getting much more false obstacle detections on M1P than on M2P.

Anyway – when that happens on M2P, side sensors are disabled in P mode, so sideways flight remains an option. Plus you can still have forward camera vision when flying sideways thanks to roting gimbal!

Explain how you're flying sideways and rotating your gimbal without waypoints.
2018-10-26
Use props
Corvus monedula
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3550594 ft
Ukraine

Zatx Posted at 2018-10-26 10:22
Explain how you're flying sideways and rotating your gimbal without waypoints.

On M2P you can rotate gimbal by dragging on screen.
Never tried to use it that way, but it should work.
2018-10-27
Use props
JohnMcL7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15295 ft
Belgium

I have seen this exact error on the Mavic 1 Pro when I was flying in low light which was causing the front obstacle avoidance sensors to think there was something in front of the drone, the error simply means the drone is slowing down therefore let go of the sticks.

Are the rear obstacle sensors working otherwise in that do they show a range and then highlight when the drone is nearing an obstacle?
2018-11-12
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4
United States

JohnMcL7 Posted at 11-12 10:07
I have seen this exact error on the Mavic 1 Pro when I was flying in low light which was causing the front obstacle avoidance sensors to think there was something in front of the drone, the error simply means the drone is slowing down therefore let go of the sticks.

Are the rear obstacle sensors working otherwise in that do they show a range and then highlight when the drone is nearing an obstacle?

Not sure, I did not test it to see a range.

It seems like the error is due to the fundamental difference in the GO app between the RC and CS.
2018-11-12
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJ_Fan Posted at 10-25 16:57

This simply means it has sensed something, who knows what, and it's stopping.   To make it move again you need to neutral both sticks before you can go again.
2018-11-12
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4
United States

EdM Posted at 11-12 19:26
This simply means it has sensed something, who knows what, and it's stopping.   To make it move again you need to neutral both sticks before you can go again.

When that error shows up, I was not leaning the drone to the left/right/fwd/backward.
I was simply getting it to lift off vertically.

Anyway, like I have said in the previous post, I believe it's the CrystalSky's version of GO App that is much older than the phone's version.
2018-11-12
Use props
KKAISS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50335 ft
Canada

DJI really screwed up on their latest firmware update, I'm having the same issues, but luckily I did not crash yet, Obstacle Avoidance is Disabled, red signal indicator with no clue from DJI on what to do. A good company usually sell good product, the BEST company sells Good Product + Good Support.....
2018-11-12
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

You take off.  Then its not disabled.
2018-11-13
Use props
DanielVieira
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4633533 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

KKAISS Posted at 11-12 21:47
DJI really screwed up on their latest firmware update, I'm having the same issues, but luckily I did not crash yet, Obstacle Avoidance is Disabled, red signal indicator with no clue from DJI on what to do. A good company usually sell good product, the BEST company sells Good Product + Good Support.....

you almost crash because you dint have OA enabled? Your flypath is a wall? Sorry but OA is almost the last resort...if you trust OA 100% your crash is coming for sure...
2018-11-13
Use props
KKAISS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50335 ft
Canada

I had no problems before that last STUPID firmware update the DJI presented. A smart company go forward all the times, but DJI is like a wave on the shore up and down, back and forth.
2018-11-13
Use props
rarevfx_official
lvl.4
Flight distance : 387562 ft
Germany

This mostly happens if the sun shines inside the front or backfacing obstacle sensors. If theres glare or something similar the drone will think that theres an obstacle when theres none - so it starts braking. This alert always comes from the obstacle sensors.
2018-11-14
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

KKAISS Posted at 11-13 07:11
I had no problems before that last STUPID firmware update the DJI presented. A smart company go forward all the times, but DJI is like a wave on the shore up and down, back and forth.

You do know that firmware updates are optional? My mavic Pro 2 has the original firmware and the first version of dji go that was compatible wth the mavic 2 and all is well.....
2018-11-15
Use props
djiuser_BSZzT5vMVWLZ
lvl.1
United States

This happened yesterday to my M2Z into the sun and today in a little fog. I don't want to turn off one of the main reasons I bought it for....
2019-3-5
Use props
VernonBC
lvl.1

Canada

What program can I use to analyze the flight data to see what sensors were tripping off?
2019-6-19
Use props
djiuser_DPlRc2fyNyda
New
Flight distance : 275062 ft
Argentina

Hello, i have the same ptoblem but in spanish:

FRENANDO. DEVUELVE LAS PALANCAS A SUS POSICIONES INICIALES Y LUEGO CONTINUA VOLANDO

Is there a solution for this?

Thanks in advance.

Felipe from Argentina.
2019-12-8
Use props
fanscc38988c
New
  • >>>
Chile

djiuser_DPlRc2fyNyda Posted at 2019-12-8 14:25
Hello, i have the same ptoblem but in spanish:

FRENANDO. DEVUELVE LAS PALANCAS A SUS POSICIONES INICIALES Y LUEGO CONTINUA VOLANDO

Hola amigo, como pudo resolver la alerta?
2020-6-5
Use props
Gugaazc
lvl.1

Brazil

Hello, I have this problem in Phantom 4 pro, has anyone managed to solve it or got support?
2020-6-15
Use props
djiuser_1rR3tX9v1m2R
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1290922 ft
Netherlands

I have same problem with my dji mavic 2 zoom
Screenshot_20200922_093953.jpg
2020-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now