Why are flight records encrypted?
1933 8 2018-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans976b6184
lvl.1
Flight distance : 118022 ft
Netherlands

Hi, I would like to use the flight data of my Mavic Air to combine the map-info (gps) with video-footage. As far as I can find information on the internet, I must use a third-party-service to decrypt the data of my own flight records. Why is DJI making this so difficult? Also, is there a utility that I can download to decrypt the data?

2018-10-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there, thank you for reaching out, Regarding that the only reason why is to avoid tampering the data and modifying it so that the data is still on its original data when checking by the right team as well.
2018-10-21
Use props
AutonoAmit
lvl.1

South Africa

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-10-21 09:09
Hi there, thank you for reaching out, Regarding that the only reason why is to avoid tampering the data and modifying it so that the data is still on its original data when checking by the right team as well.

Is it possible to get a public key so that we can read the logs. We don't need the private key to encrypt new logs.
2022-4-11
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Since the Mavic Air uses the Go4 App there should be no great difficulty in using CsvView to unscramble, one log at a time, both the .txt flight logs and the .DAT flight logs or, in using TXTlogToCSVtool for the .txt flight logs. The latter can be used in a one line 'DOS' command to process the txt flight logs en-masse and out put the results as csv's. CsvView can also output csv's but I do not know if it can be set to do that automatically.
TXTlogToCSVtool = https://phantompilots.com/thread ... sv-converter.70428/
CsvView = https://datfile.net/CsvView/downloads.html.

Besides which, doesn't the facility for including/displaying GPS data already exist. From memory all you have to do is, somewhere in the App, switch "subtitles" or something similar, on. That results in an .SRT companion for each video being written to the memory card and VLC, at least, can play the video and display the 'subtitles'.
2022-4-11
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AutonoAmit Posted at 4-11 00:38
Is it possible to get a public key so that we can read the logs. We don't need the private key to encrypt new logs.

Could you explain how we can get the key and how we should use it please. It would be interesting to try.
Thanks.
2022-4-11
Use props
AutonoAmit
lvl.1

South Africa

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-11 04:46
Could you explain how we can get the key and how we should use it please. It would be interesting to try.
Thanks.

This would have to come from DJI.
I'm not sure what encryption they are using but with a little bit of help from DJI we will be able to decrypt the flight logs.

I have reached out to DJI directly with no success. My query was passed on to an engineer who did not want to acknowledge that the logs are encrypted.

DJI have shared the decryption keys with AirData and FlightReader - we just need the same.
www.airdata.com
www.flightreader.com
2022-4-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-10-21 09:09
Hi there, thank you for reaching out, Regarding that the only reason why is to avoid tampering the data and modifying it so that the data is still on its original data when checking by the right team as well.

I get that part.  (yes I know this is 2018 response)

But why doesn't DJI offer a website (or link) to where encrypted flight records be uploaded, and DJI decrypted flight records be downloaded?

In that way, flight records could not be tampered with.  But DJI customers could see recorded data in human readable form.
2022-4-12
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-12 08:51
I get that part.  (yes I know this is 2018 response)

But why doesn't DJI offer a website (or link) to where encrypted flight records be uploaded, and DJI decrypted flight records be downloaded?

or add the means of decrypting logs, txt and DAT, to the relevant Assistant 2?
I have seen it suggested that the encryption of the DATs is to protect their commercial interests but I have no idea if that is correct but I miss being able to check mini 2 motor speeds and I miss the ability to read the DATs on the drone, MM, Mini 2, M2P/Z.
2022-4-12
Use props
AutonoAmit
lvl.1

South Africa

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-12 09:26
or add the means of decrypting logs, txt and DAT, to the relevant Assistant 2?
I have seen it suggested that the encryption of the DATs is to protect commercial interests but I have no idea if that is correct but I miss being able to check mini 2 motor speeds and I miss the ability to read the DATs on the drone, MM, Mini 2, M2P/Z.

I agree with your points. I do think they should offer a generic way for decryption - it will really help commercial operators to gather accurate data about their flights.
2022-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules