Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Anyone use the Trackimo GPS on there Mavic Pro drone??
1334 13 2018-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FLPilotShark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 721913 ft
  • >>>
United States

What are your thoughts & opinions on attaching this to my Dji Mavic PRO on the top with some two sided graip tape so it never will fall off.  I heard you if you go with the Pgytech bracket that mounts the litte GPS tracked behind the aircarft that it  messes with your compass for some reason. iLet me know your thoughts?
Here is the bracket that connected to the back of the aircarft..
https://www.ebay.com/p/Trackimo- ... 283014974674&chn=ps

Many thanks,
FLPilotShark

trackimo-real-time-gps-tracking-device_3.jpg
2018-10-21
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

IMG_1126.PNG Mavic Pro has pretty accurate tracking through the DJI Go 4 app. I would recomend trusting it. Why you want to ad an external tracker? I would recomend attaching it to your girlfriends car, and leaving it off your Mavic Pro. The photo I attached here is obtained by clicking "Flight Records" in the app.  If you look where it's showing my Mavic, I can tell it's within a meter of where it shows. The long and lat coordinates are at the bottom.
2018-10-21
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

TrevorSK Posted at 2018-10-21 07:07
The Mavic Pro has pretty accurate tracking through the DJI Go 4 app. I would recomend trusting it. Why you want to ad an external tracker? I would recomend attaching it to your girlfriends car, and leaving it off your Mavic Pro

I agree with TrevorSK, I was thinking about getting one but after using the MP tracking it showed me that DJI system works quite well, besides I really wouldn't want to attach anything to my MP.
2018-10-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

So far I never bothered.
I know it might fly away someday, but I rather not strap anything on it that effects the flight.
2018-10-21
Use props
FLPilotShark
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-10-21 09:12
So far I never bothered.
I know it might fly away someday, but I rather not strap anything on it that effects the flight.

Why would it effect the flight mate? Do you realize what this GPS can do LET ME Quickly EXPLAIN.
For under $50.00 you can have THE SAMLLEST GPS on the market that will text you the exact location of the drone when it goes down, I do a lot of flying over the water in the Inter-coastal and the devise also is water proof, so would be able to find since I only fly over 10 ft of water. Also, this a FACT: 30% of Drone Owners Lost Their Drone Never to be Found..

It never hurts to have a extra  redundancy especially with a $1200.00 drone.
The gps can call you and send you text messages i DONT THINK THE go pro app can do that.

After you click the link scroll down on the page to where i says Never loose your drone and watch that video. Well worth it in my opinion... This fairly a new concept so a lot of people dont know about it
Click here and check it out:
https://trackimo.com/gps-drone-tracker/

Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 9.21.36 AM.png
2018-10-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

FLPilotShark Posted at 2018-10-21 09:27
Why would it effect the flight mate? Do you realize what this GPS can do LET ME Quickly EXPLAIN.
For under $50.00 you can have THE SAMLLEST GPS on the market that will text you the exact location of the drone when it goes down, I do a lot of flying over the water in the Inter-coastal and the devise also is water proof, so would be able to find since I only fly over 10 ft of water.

Everything you add to the drone affects it's balance.
After all this is 'just' a 700gr drone, so if you add even 10gr, it will affect the balance and the motors will have to work harder.
Now this tracker is about 40gr and the holder also weights 15gr.
That is about 8% increase in weight and it will affect the balance as it is on the back of the craft.
So that will affect the flight for sure.

Not to mention it costs rather much (about 1/4 of a Fly more Combo current price) and, from what I read, you probably also want cell coverage to take advantage of all it's features.
And if you loose the drone, chances are that the is broke anyway so you will need to buy a new one after all.
So, no I don't believe this is something I would invest in.
I'd rather buy a second hand Mavic Pro if I ever loose mine.
Just my 2 cents of course
2018-10-21
Use props
FLPilotShark
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-10-21 09:36
Everything you add to the drone affects it's balance.
After all this is 'just' a 700gr drone, so if you add even 10gr, it will affect the balance and the motors will have to work harder.
Now this tracker is about 40gr and the holder also weights 15gr.

Who cares if its broke since I have the Dji Care fresh package. I just have the mail the drone back no matter if it got wet or crashed into a brick wall. I get two free replacements.
2018-10-22
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly over water maybe 2% of my flights so really not for me... if it drops into water deeper than I can dive I will just count my losses. It may also be wise if you do alot of water flights to invest in a "GetterBack".... then it wont matter how bad/deep the sploosh is.   GPS+Float+DJIcare=no worries
2018-10-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

FLPilotShark Posted at 2018-10-22 10:32
Who cares if its broke since I have the Dji Care fresh package. I just have the mail the drone back no matter if it got wet or crashed into a brick wall. I get two free replacements.

They are not free.
You have to pay for the replacement. Second one even more.
One of the reasons I did not opt for care refresh.
2018-10-22
Use props
FLPilotShark
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-10-22 11:53
I fly over water maybe 2% of my flights so really not for me... if it drops into water deeper than I can dive I will just count my losses. It may also be wise if you do alot of water flights to invest in a "GetterBack".... then it wont matter how bad/deep the sploosh is.   GPS+Float+DJIcare=no worries

Since I do 90 % of my flying over the Inter-coastal water ways and do a lot of projects for a few realtors  and most of there properties are located right on the water of the Gulf Of Mexico. I think that I will give the GETTERBACK a shot and strap one on my wing of my Mavic Pro! The video below is with two of these ''Getterback'' on each wing but I would think one would be enough for the Mavic!

Also, here is my info on the Getterback for people that do fly over water for there projects or fun!
https://www.getterback.com/
2018-10-25
Use props
FLPilotShark
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-10-22 23:50
They are not free.
You have to pay for the replacement. Second one even more.
One of the reasons I did not opt for care refresh.

@Moontfrooij, care you share how the Dji Refresh Care package worked if you would be so kind?
I myself and many other don't really know how the two replacements you get with the Care pkg. You just the drone back to send them in California. I probably have to pay for the freight but what other expenses are there?

Does dji make you pay for the damages as well but not the labor or how does that work since I have not yet used my Dji Refresh Care Pkg?
2018-10-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

FLPilotShark Posted at 2018-10-25 02:27
@Moontfrooij, care you share how the Dji Refresh Care package worked if you would be so kind?
I myself and many other don't really know how the two replacements you get with the Care pkg. You just the drone back to send them in California. I probably have to pay for the freight but what other expenses are there?

You pay a certain amount per replacement.
Depending on the drone you want to have replaced of course (Spark is cheaper than Mavic Pro 2).
For example, first replacement of a Mavic Pro 2 will cost you € 119,- and the second one €139,-
(prices are taken from the Dutch DJI site, but you can check them in the US on the DJI website). https://store.dji.com/product/dji-care-refresh-mavic-2

I don't know about the shipping cost, that will probably vary per country.
2018-10-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

FLPilotShark Posted at 2018-10-25 02:27

I just checked, the charges are the same in Dollars.
So you have to pay $119,- for the first replacement and $ 139,- for the second.
2018-10-25
Use props
Jack Cutrone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 86227 ft
United States

I have been using the Trackmo on  my Mavic Pro and have been happy with it.  Let me share an experience with you that shows its value as well as that of DJI care.  

Over a year ago, I was flying my MP toward a grove of trees in a nearby forest preserve.  After 3 minutes of flight with 85% battery, at an altitude of 365 feet and at about 16mph it suddenly lost all power.  I posted on Mavicpilots.com and some very knowledgeable people helped by showing the likely crash site from the DJI Go4 app on my iPad.  It crashed in a dense grove of trees when they were fully leafed. The probable location was just not definitive enough to allow me to locate the drone.  They suggested that given the absolute and sudden loss of power from a nearly full battery that I probably  had not fully latched the battery and that it just ejected from the aircraft.   I searched for it for weeks and weeks with no success.  I kept looking up into the leaf canopy but could not find a dull, grey object in the branches which were also grey.  I started a DJI Care claim but they would not honor it without me sending back the MP.  Catch 22.  After two hellacious wind storms I went back and got extremely lucky and found it in a creek that runs through the woods.  I had searched that creek several times before and the MP was not there so I conclude that the windstorm knocked it out of the tree and into the creek.  When I recovered the sodden drone, the battery was still firmly in place.  So, it will forever reman a mystery why it suddenly shut down completely.

After this experience using the Go4 App records and not being able to find it, I opted for the most protection I could think of.  I got a Trackimo, a Tile bluetooth keyfinder and a small strobe.  I also put a number of different colored strips of florescent tape on the MP, all to increase visibility.  I sent the crashed drone into DJI and for about  $100 got a rebuilt drone form DJI.  Luckily I did not have to make another claim before the Care period ran out.  So I saved about $500 by having the insurance.

I was careful to mount all the items where they would not interfere with the compass or the signal to the drone.  I bought one of those 3d printed plastic mounts for the Trackimo, mounted the Tile with
Velcro to the back of the battery and mounted the strobe at the back of the body. I also bought and mounted a set of florescent orange Styrofoam balls on each leg of the type that will keep the MP afloat if it crashes into water but did this mostly for added visibility.  From knowing where the antenna and compasses were, the locations seemed to create the least possibility of interference.  I have flown many flights in that configuration with no problem.   The weight was not significant and did not noticeably reduce flight time and the gyros in the MP took care of any balance problem.

Then about a month ago, I started having issues - compass errors, compass redundancy errors, wireless interference, yaw errors and IMU errors, none of which I had before.  I have been trying to figure out what is causing the errors.  I did a compass calibration just before the first flight with problems  and every flight at a new location since.  I will add that I did a firmware update just before the problem flight.  I did a number of test flights at my RC flying field which has no possible source of magnetic error or electrical interference and still got those problems.  I started a thread on Mavicpilots.com: https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... g-strangely.102991/ if you are interested.

Some knowledgeable people there have been helping me try to sort this out.  Most suggested that one or more of the add-ons were the likely cause of the problem (which doesn't explain the many flights I have had without any issues before) and they suggested also that I do an IMU calibration which I did.  I have only done a few test flights since the calibration.  The first three were without any equipment whatsoever.  I experienced no problem.  I then mounted the Trackimo only in the plastic holder.  I got several compass errors.  I removed the Trackimo and flew it without errors.  Which is suggestive of the Trackimo being at least one source of issues.  However, that is not enough data to come to any reliable conclusion.  It also begs the question of why I never had problems in dozens and dozens of flights with the Trackimo mounted.  I will do a lot more test flights with and without the external equipment and also will try rolling back the firmware to what it was before I started having problems.

At any rate, in trying to answer the question of whether Trackimo can cause compass errors I searched and found this thread.  I decided to post here to address some of the questions that were raised.

I also noticed that one of the first posts said that some people were experiencing problems with the Trackimo causing interference when mounted as I have it mounted and am going to messaged that poster for more information.
2020-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules