Mavic pro as a beginner?
12684 22 2018-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
charbel1011
lvl.3

So i have some money to mess with and i want to get the mavic pro as my first drone? How's the handling for a beginner to get the mavic pro? Is it hard to fly? I keep hearing about the flyaway accidents. Should i be scared of those?
2018-10-22
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

There's no need to be scared. Spend time learning how your drone works before attempting to fly it. Many people who crash or experience a flyaway have done so due to one of the many common pilot errors.

Here's a good guide to check out for preventing flyaways:
Prevent a Crash or Flyaway with Your DJI Drone (The Complete Guide)
2018-10-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The Mavic pro is your good option if you're beginner flying your drone and the good thing here is we have lots of videos that you can watch as well under youtube. You can subscribe to our youtube channels: DJI Tutorials, DJI Support, and DJI.  Please see the videos below for your reference.

2018-10-22
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

Take your time and  familiarize  yourself with the drone,  strongly advise you to purchase DJI care refresh,  the Mavic pro is the best drone for people to becoming good pilots, the technology is excellent,  any problems and DJI will always be there for you to help you out and so are the greatest people on this site that will give you their full attention and help.
2018-10-22
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>

Find a big empty field or other open area with no obstructions to crash into and start out doing simple maneuvers. Get to where you can fly nice smooth figure eights and you should be good.
2018-10-22
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Mavic Pro is a great drone - it can do it all. If you're looking into other DJI drones, you'll find each have their respective marks. The Spark is good for beginners and its small size make it less cumbersome to control. The Mavic Air is like the Spark but with more power. The Phantom is more of an advanced drone for users. The Mavic Pro can be considered an advanced drone for users but many beginners start with the Mavic Pro. I personally started with the Spark and upgraded after several months flying the Spark. Looking back on it, I was hesitant at first but the more I read and watched into it the more the benefits outweighed the cons.
Look at all DJI drones....but if you purchase the Mavic Pro.....you won't regret it.
2018-10-22
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

I think you should also get a toy drone to fly like the Blade Inductrix ready to fly for $50.  That way you learn to fly a drone that doesn't have an autopilot to help you.  You gain skills on something cheap to crash.  

The Mavic is very easy to fly as long as the autopilot is doing most of the work.  When the navigation, GPS, or autopilot, fails and it goes into ATTI mode, you need to be able to pilot it back yourself.  Build those skills.  $50 drones are cheap insurance and can be flown indoors to get your drone fix during crappy weather days.
2018-10-22
Use props
natnatroswell
lvl.3

United States

if you're afraid of flyaway, you can attach you're contact details or a gps tracker like trackimo if it can handle a little more weight.
2018-10-22
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

Most all of the DJI drones are easy to learn to fly (Learning the software is actually the bigger challenge) The flyaway accidents are not common. You hear about them on this forum but not so much in the field. It's like if you spent the day at the hospital's ER, you'd think there is always many car accidents, but if you spend a day on the street you probably wouldn't see a car accident. The Mavic Pro is a good drone, but DJI has all good drones. Research the features of each, and pick the one you like. You can't go wrong if you learn the capabilities of each model before you decide.
2018-10-22
Use props
Ben Mason
lvl.4
Flight distance : 610614 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If your a total beginner i would actually advise getting a small drone, maybe DJI Ryze Tello, better yet would be a small drone without any kind of stabilisation. This wouldn't be a 1 to 1 comparison obviously, but it would get you used to the controls, learn about sensitivity of stick controls, learn about Atti flight, etc. I'd recommend something from the Phantom series but DJI drones in general are fairly stable and with all the sensors they fly themselves.
2018-10-22
Use props
Sky Carrier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 590102 ft
United States

Don't worry. Easy to fly machine and the tutorials are great. Just practice a lot, which is already fun in itself. Fly safe
2018-10-23
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14843274 ft

Start small.  I started out with a 3DR Solo and crashed it about 5 times while learning.  Swapped to a Mavic Pro 18 months ago and have now got 5.7 million feet of travel distance without a single mishap.  Start slow and low.  Wide open areas.  No trees, no fences.  You aren't looking for beautiful scenery at first, you are looking to learn to fly.  Additionally, you are building your confidence up.  Read the manual.  Read the manual again.  Refer often to the manual.  Come here and ask questions.  People here are more than happy to assist you and answer any questions.  

As for the fly a-ways.  Set up a check list before you start.  Follow the check list.  Don't do anything "Stupid" like trying to take off in a No fly zone, or take off without adequate GPS coverage, or fly in a 30 mph wind.  Remember that the winds up high will be MUCH greater than on the ground.   

Did I mention read the manual?  Keep a copy on your computer so that you can refer back to it again and again.  Stay away from things.  Trees, Fences, Antennas...  Don't fly low over Water.  Get comfortable.  

And above all else, HAVE FUN!!!
2018-10-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I think the Mavic Pro is a great starter if you are serious about the hobby.
Price is very nice right now and the feature set is great.
I never had problems like fly aways.
Mavic Pro has a superb connection and I never had issues like that.
You, of course, need to take your environment into account.
Flying in a densely populated area with lots of signals will not have a good effect on your connection, but still it works good.
2018-10-23
Use props
salmonshark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 206352 ft

My first, and only drone so far, is the Mavic Pro Platinum.  No regrets at all.  The biggest thing you need to do, like others have mentioned, take your time, read the manual, start off small, and use as much common sense as possible.  

SalmonShark
2018-10-23
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

I started out flying Mavic Pro P.  No problems flying it.

However, I would suggest getting a cheap drone to start with.   For two reason:
1) Practicing skills of flying a dumb drone, in case your smart drone ever goes into dumb drone mode.
2) You can have fun flying and crashing your cheap drone.  Cheap drones are fairly forgiving of minor crashes, and cheap to replace.

When you do move up to a smart drone, take out DJI Care.  
2018-10-23
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Beginner or expert the Mavic Pro is the way to go. Read the manual, practice safety / pre-flight checks and you will not have any issues.

And to snuff out the "Fly-aways"; this is usually an environmental (Metal/Magnetic/Electrical/RF) interference issue that can be avoided with proper pre-flight checks.  There are many pre-flight check lists in these forums and they are all a great reference. Checking compass, GPS signal and battery health are all key to those checks to prevent pilot errors.

Good Luck and Happy flying!
2018-10-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Mavic Pro is a great Aircraft to begin flying with, I remember my first phantom 2, I just couldn’t beleive how easy it was to handle, and since then dji aircraft have improved tenfold and make the best aircraft for learning to fly drones.
You just need to inform yourself as much as you can read the manual and take your time to get to know your craft and in a very short time you’ll be loving every minute of it. Get the Pro it’s a great price.
2018-10-23
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

yes you should be scared of fly aways - its a lot of money to loose. I think most/many fly aways are a consequence of flying in too strong wind and therefore ultimately pilot error.To reduce risk of flyaway here are some tips to consider.
1. search this forum for previous discussions on flying in wind. There are valuable tips tucked in those conversations which could help reduce your risk some.
2. if it is windy on the ground then it is almost always a lot windier the higher you go
3. dont try a range test out of the box (or ever really)
4. beware of flying along cliff tops when it is windy
5. when you do fly in the wind try to stay as much up wind from your home point as possible - makes home run if wind picks up easier to survive.
6. sport mode is most capable of fighting the wind - up to a point - fly in wind past that point or get caught in gusts and your risk goes up.
7. doing automatic RTH whilst flying in sport mode DOES NOT MEAN that the drone remains in sport mode for RTH trip - RTH reduces power mode and if doing RTH in heavy wind you will most likely experaince a fly away.

8. if you have a patron saint of 'luck' - time to start rubbing its belly :-)

Mavic is a great drone - good first drone so long as you dont loose it too fast.

Fly safe - have fun - happy landings..... and good luck :-)

2018-10-23
Use props
Boffin
lvl.4
Australia

This is a decent app worth using before you fly, it gives a lot of useful information UAV

Also I agree with the other pilots, a small cheap quad to practise atti flying shall teach you the basics. I use one of these and it's still flying after a few years inside and outside the house Nano
2018-10-23
Use props
Nancy SEO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 434849 ft
United States

If you want a drone that's fairly easy to start with and that you can grow into and use for many things, I highly recommend the Mavic Pro. I started with the Spark and quickly realized it wasn't going to fulfill what I wanted.

I love the original MP. It's fun to fly, there is a lot of functionality if you can live with the DJI app limits and I can echo everyone else's great advice already given in this thread.
2018-10-24
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

I started with a Tello, did the altitude mod and learned the basics before moving up to the MPP.   Still before I put the MPP up in the air for the first time, I spend a week watching as many YT Tip Videos, and when I thought I was ready, I went to a big open field with nobody around. Spent a week or so, just flying around and getting used to the handling, and some of the additional features like RTH so I knew what to expect.
2018-10-26
Use props
Fly74
lvl.2

United States

I got a Tello for free and it has got me addicted to flying it, taking photos and videos.... it leaves you wanting more but I am happy it is the 1st one because I've had some crazy mishaps and still going strong with it while I save up for a Mavic Pro 1 myself....  with it having resemblance to what technology and mobile app and flight experience making me get a hang of the maneuvers a drone and learning how not to get it in a pool, a tree, hit fences and getting grabbed by wind gusts and ending up 4 blocks away, lol.  I will be a much more cautious flyer when I have $1K in the air after seeing what being careless with a "toy" drone.

Have to thought one way or the other about getting the platinum over the original mp1?
2018-10-27
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

I also think about to buy a Mavic Pro. I use to fly in FPV a Follower x6 for flying skills,so i know what to do if my current  and future DJI AC switch to ATTI.  With my P3S i had no crash from the 1st day up to now.
2018-10-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules