Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Suddenly, Mavic Air is not responding to moving commands
4821 20 2018-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Idrialis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1178730 ft
Dominican Republic

Hi. Since the last update and in two different flights in open sky (no obstructions, no signal or interference problems at all), when My Mavic Air was more than half a mile away and with around 35-45% of battery,  When my Mavic didn't respond to the directions movements I was ordering it. I was trying to move it forward or backwared or to the sides, but it didn't respond at all, it just kept still at a same point and after almost running out of battery in this situation, it finally responded and could bring it back on time before whatever that could have happened... This has happened to 2 different friends of mine in their Mavic Air. I repeat, is not a signal problem, has happened far away and just 5 to 10 metes away in distance and 20 on altitude... Is this a (no signal related) common issue? What can cause this? Has anyone else experienced this without it being related to loosing signal or interference?
2018-10-22
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Idrialis,

Happend to my MA as well, was flying close to several branches. So the OA did not allow it to move!  I switched OA off and was able to fly away. Or switch to sport mode, because OA is disabled in that mode).

if your problem is a different one, hope you find the cause of this.
cheers
JJB
2018-10-23
Use props
TmacDaddy
New
Flight distance : 850 ft
United States

If you are in a restricted airspace, you can loose the ability to control the drone. I acknowledged on the remote and was flying and then lost the ability to effect the drone. I actually had to restart the app, while the drone was in the air and once again gained control for 2 or 3 minutes before it happened again. Last time I will fly in that area. After the flight was coming to an end, the remote posted a message about an unmarked "rural" airfield being close by
2018-10-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Can you upload your flight log. http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-10-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

JJBspark Posted at 2018-10-23 00:35
Hi Idrialis,

Happend to my MA as well, was flying close to several branches. So the OA did not allow it to move!  I switched OA off and was able to fly away. Or switch to sport mode, because OA is disabled in that mode).

In such a case as yours, Mavic Air should send a packet back to RC / SmartDevice for GO-4 to display a message to pilot as to Mavic Air rejecting commands, and as to why.     

After getting your Mavic Air back, did your FRAP program find anything in FlightLog file that indicated MA was rejecting commands and as to why?
2018-10-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

but it didn't respond at all, it just kept still at a same point and after almost running out of battery in this situation, it finally responded and could bring it back on time before whatever that could have happened...

Wondering if by chance...

Instead of finally responding, Mavic Air's low battery RTH was triggered.  Leading to Mavic Air moving far enough away from possible interference that Mavic Air would finally respond to commands?

2018-10-25
Use props
Idrialis
lvl.1
Dominican Republic

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-25 14:25
Can you upload your flight log. http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Hi. Thanks. Here's the log: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/0H4IXAC3VSY7VZXUHPLM/
2018-10-25
Use props
Idrialis
lvl.1
Dominican Republic

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-10-25 21:10
In such a case as yours, Mavic Air should send a packet back to RC / SmartDevice for GO-4 to display a message to pilot as to Mavic Air rejecting commands, and as to why.     

After getting your Mavic Air back, did your FRAP program find anything in FlightLog file that indicated MA was rejecting commands and as to why?

I'm gonna be honest, I have no idea what you mean by FRAP program.

I just uploaded the log and I can see some magnetic message the log says (that I didn't get)...

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/0H4IXAC3VSY7VZXUHPLM/  

This is the first time I upload and see a log in details, tbh
2018-10-25
Use props
Idrialis
lvl.1
Dominican Republic

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-10-25 21:14
but it didn't respond at all, it just kept still at a same point and after almost running out of battery in this situation, it finally responded and could bring it back on time before whatever that could have happened...

Wondering if by chance...

That could be, I'm not sure, I'm a noob when it comes to this kind of problems, well, newbie at all. I just uploaded muy logs: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/0H4IXAC3VSY7VZXUHPLM/

What I see there when the problem triggered is a magnetic interference notification that I didn't got at all, not sure if I didn't get it because of a delay, because of full screen mode or what...
2018-10-25
Use props
Idrialis
lvl.1
Dominican Republic

The issue started right here at 9m 21.4s. when it turned back to go to the last point when trying to return home...

I may ask something.

If I'm on Home Point and go point C taking the route A, I get to point C, then I'm returning to Home Point taking the Route B... If the drone loose signal and try to do a RTH by itself, does it goes back to Point C, to the exact same route (route A) to go to Home Point, or should it continue from where it was and find its way?
2018-10-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Idrialis Posted at 2018-10-25 21:28
I'm gonna be honest, I have no idea what you mean by FRAP program.

I just uploaded the log and I can see some magnetic message the log says (that I didn't get)...

Sorry, I was asking ''JJBspark'' about his Mavic Air flight where his MA did not respond due to flying to close to branches.  See post #2.

''JJBspark'' has written an excellent program, FRAP, for analyzing FlightLog file information.
You can find his FRAP program HERE
2018-10-25
Use props
Idrialis
lvl.1
Dominican Republic

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-10-25 21:43
Sorry, I was asking ''JJBspark'' about his Mavic Air flight where his MA did not respond due to flying to close to branches.  See post #2.

''JJBspark'' has written an excellent program, FRAP, for analyzing FlightLog file information.

My bad, thank you anyways. Checking out the FRAP program.
2018-10-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Idrialis Posted at 2018-10-25 21:30
That could be, I'm not sure, I'm a noob when it comes to this kind of problems, well, newbie at all. I just uploaded muy logs: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/0H4IXAC3VSY7VZXUHPLM/

What I see there when the problem triggered is a magnetic interference notification that I didn't got at all, not sure if I didn't get it because of a delay, because of full screen mode or what...

Sequence of message, with Ambient Light Warnings removed.

IdTime(seconds)AppTipAppWarningAppMessage

In Flight, working compass   encounters data exception

Strong Interference to Aircraft.   Signal interruption may be more likely. Fly with caution.

Weak signal. Adjust antenna and   avoid signal block.

Strong Interference to Aircraft.   Signal interruption may be more likely. Fly with caution.

Downlink Restored (after 0m 19.9s)

Downlink Restored (after 0m 0.9s)

In Flight, working compass   encounters magnetic-field interference,please switch to atti mode if craft   behave abnormally

In Flight, working compass   encounters magnetic-field interference,please switch to atti mode if craft   behave abnormally

Weak signal. Adjust antenna and   avoid signal block.; In Flight, working compass encounters magnetic-field   interference,please switch to atti mode if craft behave abnormally

Signal Lost. Aircraft   returning to Home Point

Downlink Restored (after 0m 12.9s)

Downlink Restored (after 0m 1.1s)

Command Timeout

Command Timeout

The remaining battery is only enough   for RTH. Return home now.

2018-10-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Idrialis Posted at 2018-10-25 21:30

For this flight...

I think magnetic interference notification is Red Herring in regards to your Mavic Air not responding to commands.  Strong interference, weak signals, command timeout, and downlink restored message are pointing to why your Mavic Air quit responding to commands.

Commands being transmitted to your Mavic Air were not being received.  Possibly commands were scrambled due to poor reception by Mavic Air.
2018-10-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

I repeat, is not a signal problem, has happened far away and just 5 to 10 metes away in distance and 20 on altitude...

Can only guess without more information and FlightLog files to look at.   Could be, the update has a problem that is causing transmissions to be weaker than in past, or commands when sent to Mavic Airs to be scrambled in transmission process.

Perhaps DJI can look at both FligthLog files and Mavic Air's Blackbox data to determine if what is being commanded is being properly received?

Maybe some others here can offer some help.

2018-10-25
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-10-25 21:10

Hi,

Spark and MA do not sent a reply back to RC/Device in wich is stated that the OP cannot move in that obstacle direction.
As i do not have any other DJI drone i cannot tell by own expierence if other DJI types sent a msg back.

cheers
JJB
2018-10-25
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Idrialis Posted at 2018-10-25 21:37
The issue started right here at 9m 21.4s. when it turned back to go to the last point when trying to return home...

Hi,

your question how the drone is doing a RTH (when looses its connection) as follows:

If you 'replay' that in FRAP you will see that your MA acts like this.Have to look in details to your log, don`t know why RTH was stopped, by timeout caution i think....

cheers
JJB
RTHprocedure.png
2018-10-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

JJBspark Posted at 2018-10-25 23:31
Hi,

Spark and MA do not sent a reply back to RC/Device in wich is stated that the OP cannot move in that obstacle direction.

Thanks JJBspark.  
It would be good if DJI drones did send a message back, alerting pilot as to why drone is rejecting stick commands vs. nothing.

Coming from world of computers and networking - Suggest DJI needs to incorporate a Pilot initiated drone version of ''ping''.  When a pilot suspects there is a communication problem between GO-4 and drone, pilot could trigger a series of round-trip messages.  If valid messages are returned, pilot would at least know transmission to/from drone is not the problem.

2018-10-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Idrialis Posted at 2018-10-25 21:26
Hi. Thanks. Here's the log: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/0H4IXAC3VSY7VZXUHPLM/

Looking at your log, it seems that your craft and remote lost signal, you did receive a few warnings regarding both weak signal and strong interference, why this occurred is easier for you to answer, turning off Bluetooth putting aircraft into airplane mode not wearing IE Apple Watch , all of these have in one way or another improved signal for some people.
In the end your craft acted as it should, yes it can be a bit of a shock particularly flying over water, I’m sure your happy with that.
Fly Safe.
2018-10-26
Use props
Evensd
New

Belgium

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-10-25 22:13
For this flight...

I think magnetic interference notification is Red Herring in regards to your Mavic Air not responding to commands.  Strong interference, weak signals, command timeout, and downlink restored message are pointing to why your Mavic Air quit responding to commands.

I'm new to the forum and found this 'old' discussion.
A couple of weeks ago, I was trying to fly my Mavic Air in an olympic swimming pool (with large roof, about 15m high).
When I launched it, it would not go higher than 4h. When flying over the water, it was not responding as usual. Normally, when you let go of the controls, it stops. In this case, the MA continued flying in the same direction as I was pointing it to, resulting in a crash against the spectators area.
Luckily the result was only some broken propellers and scratches on the drone.
How is this possible? Any thoughts?
2019-8-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Evensd Posted at 8-18 06:42
I'm new to the forum and found this 'old' discussion.
A couple of weeks ago, I was trying to fly my Mavic Air in an olympic swimming pool (with large roof, about 15m high).
When I launched it, it would not go higher than 4h. When flying over the water, it was not responding as usual. Normally, when you let go of the controls, it stops. In this case, the MA continued flying in the same direction as I was pointing it to, resulting in a crash against the spectators area.

Did GO-4 running on your smart device show GPS satellite reception?  How many sats?
Have you looked at Flight log?
2019-8-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules