Interference from Ring Security Camera
2641 8 2018-10-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MikeB43
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3338596 ft
United States

Just had a weird/strange expereince. Iv'e had my Mavic pro just over a year and launched many times from our driveway with no problems. A few weeks back we installed a Ring Security Camera looking over the driveway. I've launched with it there several times however today as I was launching my daughter (who has access) opened the camera and began to talk as I was launching. The drone launched, went up about twenety feet and began to go forward by itself. I tried reversing and the drone came down and then reversed and flew into a small bush and crashed. Luckily the bush was above the driveway and only a few feet off the ground so no damage was done. I instructed my daughter to disconnect from the security camera. I launched the drone again with no problems.

My question is: Does the Ring Camera cause interference? It is wifi connected and my daughter was offsite using an app to view and talk. I'm guessing yes but don't want to try and replicate the problem just yet.

2018-10-23
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

Your Ring Camera is usually WiFi (unless you selected the ethernet connection) with a wide bandwidth for video.
A Ring WiFi range extender is even more deadly to the local 2.4 GHz environment Ring
2018-10-23
Use props
MikeB43
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3338596 ft
United States

Thanks. Next time I fly from home I’ll disable cameras or disable my daughters access...
2018-10-23
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here's something odd as well,  I have noticed when watching TV on the Fire Stick,  when we cook Microwave Popcorn, the Microwave interrupts the TV......it literally stops the WiFi transmission.

Scary stuff !!

Randy
2018-10-23
Use props
Sky Carrier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 590102 ft
Netherlands

Hi Mike, I have a Ring doorbell as well and you're right. It is the 2.4 GHz connection that causes the interference. Luckily until now however, I never had the symptoms that severe as you had,
2018-10-23
Use props
mirandaright87hotmail.com
lvl.4

Austria

Are you using Ring cameras and doorbell instead of traditional alarm companies? Any ring security reviews or experiences to share please. I am thinking to buy Ring cameras and already have doorbell with their 24/7 monitoring service. Haven't never heard they can interfere with drones

2021-2-12
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

That’s crazy ....I have a ring camera as well I’m deff going to have to be careful. Thank you for sharing
2021-3-1
Use props
fans1ae5b3cc
New

United States

I just had this same thing happen. Oct 2022 drone took off I flew up about 25 feet and about 20 yards out and back and it stopped and took a 90 degree  turn at full speed on a downward slope to the ground. It was so bizarre I went straight to my RING camera to see if it captured it on video. Only to find out the exact moment it came in front of the camera it cuts out Which is the same exact moment it B lined full speed into the ground.  The camera most defiantly interfered and what  seems like to me took control of the drone and shot it straight  down as if the camera was sending signals to the ground the way it was pointed. Seems like a serious issue in my opinion.
2022-10-25
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ding.... Dong.... Drone Ditches.  Not cool!
2022-10-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules