Annoying issues with Pro 4 models make them unusable
1592 16 2018-10-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GottliebPins
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I have two Phantom 4's and recently purchase a 4 Pro (v1) and 4 Pro (v2). The non pro's have been very reliable and have only had minor issues over the past year or so. The two pro models have had issues from the very first flight. The v1 has two issues that are most noticeable. The video on the controller will cut out every 30 seconds or so. Even if it's just sitting on the ground. I've noticed that if it is sitting or flying at a 90 degree angle from the controller the signal breaks up less, but still has issues. The other issue is the camera seems to flop over or bounce whenever the drone is stopping or turning, like the camera is just too heavy for the gimbal to compensate. This happens even when going at slow speed. The v2 has different problems. When I'm hovering in the air it simply can not stay pointing in one direction. It will slowly rotate to the left or right and I have to constantly fight with it to keep if pointing at what I'm shooting. I have tried calibrating the compass and the sticks and neither helps. Also every time I move to a new location it forces me to calibrate compass before I can take off. I have almost never been required to calibrate compass with the older drones, maybe once or twice only with each. And most annoying is sometimes when I'm filming in 1080p the picture comes out blurry, you can barely make out any details on the edges of the video and it's only slightly better in the center. For these reasons I have had to relegate both of my brand new drones to "backup" status, in case one of my old reliable drones starts having problems. I am considering selling both drones at substantial loss just to get rid of them, and using the money to fix the parts that are starting to wear out on the old drones. Any suggestions on what to do with them? Anyone else having similar issues? Thanks.
2018-10-24
Use props
PowerBand1
lvl.3

Australia

Roger that..I have read about a lot of camera issues with P4P, looks like DJI quality control has gone out the window. I definately will not be buying this model.
2018-10-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

'Also every time I move to a new location it forces me to calibrate compass before I can take off.'

None of the DJI aircraft 'force' you to calibrate the compass. In fact, you should not calibrate it at all under normal circumstances. What happens is that you get a message saying there is magnetic interference and you should take off from another location. It also happens that the 'Calibrate compass' button is shown in that message, but you are not forced to use it at all. The correct action is to shut down the aircraft, move to another spot and fire it up again. This often happens when people take off from a concrete surface containing rebar.
2018-10-24
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I do agree with the 1st post for sure, my camera does that whilst sat on the ground, but once in the air, the only time it will break up is when i go out of range, the gimbal on the other hand is a different kettle of cucumbers,  but the bounce as you call it only happens to me when in sports or atti mode  and only happens when turning  only 1 way, but i cannot remember if its left or right, i have tried my hardest to force it to do it the other way and it will not do it, so, is it a gimbal limitation? possible, bu then it would do it both ways wouldnt it? i thought the gimbal back motor had gone a bit weak at the knees so i replaced it, now the bounce just seems firmer, not as out of control but still is, like a car with new shock absorbers lol
2018-10-24
Use props
Michael Kemper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1709583 ft
  • >>>
United States

What mobile device are you using with your remote?
2018-10-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

PowerBand1 Posted at 2018-10-24 13:09
Roger that..I have read about a lot of camera issues with P4P, looks like DJI quality control has gone out the window. I definately will not be buying this model.

The P4 pro has proved to be a workhorse for hard professional use and has a really good camera.
I'm not sure where you've picked up the idea that it has a lot of camera issues.
That doesn't match my experience or what I get from other forum users.
2018-10-25
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-10-25 05:14
The P4 pro has proved to be a workhorse for hard professional use and has a really good camera.
I'm not sure where you've picked up the idea that it has a lot of camera issues.
That doesn't match my experience or what I get from other forum users.

Bingo

There is the possibility your mobile device does not have the processing power to handle the  needs of the system!!  Review approved iPads/Android devices

Randy
2018-10-25
Use props
DiamondKing1976
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
  • >>>
United States

And see the running post about the slow/yaw problem I started here. https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=168557

I just sent my P4P v2.0 in for service yesterday. When I called DJI, the guy on the phone acted like it was the first time he heard of the issue. $1,500 and not able to fly. Not one admin here, there, or anywhere has commented on the issue.
2018-10-25
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Why don't you just simply return misbehaving drones and demand a replacement? Having solid experience with older models it'll take 2-3 test flights to find all these annoyances ...
2018-10-25
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

PowerBand1 Posted at 2018-10-24 13:09

Yup,  this is a POS.......

Enjoy these unretouched pictures......straight off the camera...P4Pro

Randy

2018-10-26
Use props
Phantom Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 281371 ft
Germany

I had the exact same issues with my P4P (V1) but since i downgraded the AC Firmware to Ver. 01.05.0300 and DJI GO4 APP to Ver. 4.1.15 all issues were gone and i was even able to fly 4.2 km. away without any video transmision issue or camera problems.

2018-10-26
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Poland

Geebax Posted at 10-24 14:40
'Also every time I move to a new location it forces me to calibrate compass before I can take off.'

None of the DJI aircraft 'force' you to calibrate the compass. In fact, you should not calibrate it at all under normal circumstances. What happens is that you get a message saying there is magnetic interference and you should take off from another location. It also happens that the 'Calibrate compass' button is shown in that message, but you are not forced to use it at all. The correct action is to shut down the aircraft, move to another spot and fire it up again. This often happens when people take off from a concrete surface containing rebar.

Sorry, but this is absolute nonsense. I've been 'forced' the recalibrate the compass of my P3P, P4, P4P and Mavic Air at various times - usually after a flight to another country, driving long distances > 200km or if there's sufficient magnetic disturbance which has affected the internal compasses.
2018-11-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

gyrex Posted at 11-3 13:24
Sorry, but this is absolute nonsense. I've been 'forced' the recalibrate the compass of my P3P, P4, P4P and Mavic Air at various times - usually after a flight to another country, driving long distances > 200km or if there's sufficient magnetic disturbance which has affected the internal compasses.

I will say it again, you are not forced to calibrate the compass at all, it is ALWAYS your choice. And flying to another country, driving long distances etc has no bearing on the issue at all. That is not what the compass calibration is performed for. It is a complete myth.
2018-11-3
Use props
The Dude in DB
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1371919 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

So I sent in my Phantom 4 Pro+ V2 due to the annoying yaw drift issue. I haven’t got it back but I was notified by DJI that a Ultrasonic Sensor will be replaced. I am a bit scpetical that this will fix the issue but one can hope.
2018-11-5
Use props
paul2660
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 11-3 13:44
I will say it again, you are not forced to calibrate the compass at all, it is ALWAYS your choice. And flying to another country, driving long distances etc has no bearing on the issue at all. That is not what the compass calibration is performed for. It is a complete myth.

The Phantom 4 pro vr2.0 I have will give a compass error if I fly from a different location than the last one. Every time. Supposedly one of the 2 firmware updates to this drone was supposed to fix this but it did not on my P4 pro vr2.0.

Even with the error in DJIGO4 showing on main status screen the actual compass when viewed under the sensors tab is normal.   

I agree with your statement that normally thus should not be needed. My P4 Pro and MP2 don’t have this issue only the P4 pro vr2. Once the calibration is done it stays calibrated for the rest of the day.

Paul C
2018-11-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

paul2660 Posted at 11-8 18:23
The Phantom 4 pro vr2.0 I have will give a compass error if I fly from a different location than the last one. Every time. Supposedly one of the 2 firmware updates to this drone was supposed to fix this but it did not on my P4 pro vr2.0.

Even with the error in DJIGO4 showing on main status screen the actual compass when viewed under the sensors tab is normal.   

Where are you launching from? Is it a concrete surface or the top of your car?
2018-11-8
Use props
paul2660
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 11-8 19:03
Where are you launching from? Is it a concrete surface or the top of your car?

From ground or rock. Never concrete or a car. That’s pretty basic.

Please note the error is not magnetic interference. It’s a error within the compass logic as there is nothing wrong with the actual compasses when you view their read outs.

There are plenty of posts on the issues with the Vr 2.0 the false compass errors just being one of them. Yaw during hover and non straight flight are some others. False compass errors have been there since day one. Some drones were fixed with latest firmware release whereas mine if anything got worse.

Overall a very disappointing product. And more disappointing is the fact that DJI has known about all of these issues and has not fixed them.

Yawning issue makes constant video and still photo work difficult.

Paul C

2018-11-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules