Spark To RC Problems (Connecting RC to iPhone via Cable)
1224 3 2018-10-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johnbrandt25
New

Hey everyone,

I really hope I'm not rehashing the same thing that has been talked about in previous threads.  But when I search for 'cable iPhone,' nothing comes up in the Spark forum.  

I have an iPhone 8+ and a DJI Spark with the Remote Control.  As has been discussed on this forum, the range on the Spark when connected via Wi-Fi is way too short and really disappointing.  So, same as many of you, I am in search of a cable that would allow me to connect my RC with my iPhone and get better range.  

I purchased a micro USB to lightning cable from Reytid (as it came recommended and apparently worked for someone else with this same issue), but it didn't.  The cable seated just fine, but the phone will not connect to the Spark through the RC. The app never recognizes it and the phone never connects to the Spark.  This must be a software issue, because I went to Microcenter and they had a DJI cable for connecting an RC for one of the mavics to an iPhone (lightning).   And when I connect the RC and the iphone using this mavic cable, IT WORKS!  

HOWEVER, when using the Mavic cable connected to the Spark remote and my iPhone, the cable is too short and I can't seat the iphone in the clamps of the RC.  I can awkwardly hold it in place by pressing my phone against the front of the RC clamps.  And, when connecting my phone with the mavic cable to the RC,  I get MUCH better range from it.  

I called DJI and asked if they have a cable that is longer that would do the trick, and they said no.  They told me the Spark didn't support that and it was not designed for that.  Which is complete BS because it works great while using this shorter mavic cable.  Is this just a DJI scam to make you upgrade to a Mavic?  Why won't they make a cable that is long enough?  I am just so frustrated at this game that they seem to be playing.  I mean, either DJI should make a cable that is 3 inches longer, or update the software so you don't need to use a proprietary cable made by DJI.  

This makes my blood boil!!!

2018-10-24
Use props
R.R.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17075456 ft
United States

I use the O’woda micro USB to iPhone with my spark and iPhone X Works great never had any problems with it. I found it on Amazon. Hope this helps
2018-10-24
Use props
White Ox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98281 ft

United States

I bought this one for my son to use with his spark (latest firmware on his AC  and RC) and his Iphone 6s using latest dji Go 4 app.

RCGeek Micro USB OTG to Lightening
2018-10-25
Use props
johnbrandt25
New

United States

RR and White Ox, thanks for your feedback!  I ordered the RCGeek one as that one was US and Prime on Amazon.  If that one doesn't work, I'll try the O'Woda one.  Thanks again to you both!  I will update the thread with my findings.
2018-10-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules