Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Hand catching gone wrong
2021 20 2018-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
szacs93
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4143743 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

Hello Guys!

On 22nd I tried to hand catch my M2P but I think it was descending too fast, and it was not able to detect my hand in time (yeah, maybe I was holding my hand at the wrong place...).
The fast descending scared me, and I tried to get my hands out of the way, but two props hit me, and they have been folded (by the collision). All of the props were rotating, but the aircraft started falling to the left. I thought it will be corrected before hitting the ground, but I was wrong... the two left props hit the ground, and the drone "landed" upside down.

I thought it will immediately stop the rotors once it is being tilted more than 90 degrees, but this was not the case, the rotors were still spinning, and this was the issue, it caused some damage to the drone itself. On the screen it was also complaining about an obstacle above, and finally it stopped because some ESC kind of error "Not Enough Force/ESC Error"...

Log link

Anybody, some opinion? I think it must stop the rotors, once it gets tilted too much, at least, when it is upside down...

And to all, who will say, yeah, I know, not to hand catch the drone... All in all, at least I was not injured.

2018-10-25
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-10-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The warning you received was just caused by the crash, it should be ok once you have put on new set of props.
You are best setting one of your C buttons to turn off sensors when hand catching, once downward sensors are shut down, you can just pluck your craft out of the air, you see nothing in your manual regarding 90 degree shut down and this is a good thing, remember if your 80 ft in the air clip a branch of a tree, your aircraft will turn to one side in this situation there’s a good chance your aircraft will recover and I for one would be happy if this was to happen.

Good luck and fly safe...
2018-10-25
Use props
szacs93
lvl.3
  • >>>
Hungary

El Diablo Posted at 2018-10-25 01:51
Yeah, don't hand catch... hand catching is like making love with no condom... you'll only get lucky a few times...

In my opinion, it is a bug, it tried to get in position, while it hit the ground, and it was trying to get into directions while it was upside down, so I think there is an issue with the priorities in the software.

Just a side note: on my avatar you can see a hand take off.
2018-10-25
Use props
szacs93
lvl.3
  • >>>
Hungary

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-25 02:12
The warning you received was just caused by the crash, it should be ok once you have put on new set of props.
You are best setting one of your C buttons to turn off sensors when hand catching, once downward sensors are shut down, you can just pluck your craft out of the air, you see nothing in your manual regarding 90 degree shut down and this is a good thing, remember if your 80 ft in the air clip a branch of a tree, your aircraft will turn to one side in this situation there’s a good chance your aircraft will recover and I for one would be happy if this was to happen.

The drone itself flies again, there is no issue with it at all, I'm just being interested, because on the MA you were able to hand catch it by turning it 90 degrees, and at that point it showed check for damage, or something like that, but it stopped the rotors immediatly.

I don't agree with you at all, once it is upside down, it is making no sense to run the rotors, becuse it will just hit the ground faster... Once it is below 90 degrees, its okay, to try to compensate.
2018-10-25
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-10-25
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi szacs93,

Interesting long flight, more than 12000 records in your log!

Did you run of that mountain and hand-cathed it 5k distance away from homepoint?
Must be great video of that...

cheers
JJB
2018-10-25
Use props
HenryHM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 795404 ft
Australia

El Diablo Posted at 2018-10-25 01:51
Yeah, don't hand catch... hand catching is like making love with no condom... you'll only get lucky a few times...

lol i only hand catch my MA.. gotta be careful
2018-10-25
Use props
Eagle_Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

I've been hand catching for as long as I can remember and to this date I've got no issue.
If you hand catch, you should know where/when to catch the drone and the proper control of your RC w/ your other hand.
Disclaimer: I only hand catch on land, not in a boat or any moving vehicles.
Establish a proper landing technique 1st.
2018-10-25
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518012 ft
Germany

Maybe also something worth mentioning is to remember to turn off the drone by using the CSC procedure,every time you are in a crash or see that it might be inminent, normally a turned off device will do less harm to its surroundings and to itself.

Cheers!

https://forum.dji.com/thread-3543-1-1.html
2018-10-25
Use props
szacs93
lvl.3
  • >>>
Hungary

JJBspark Posted at 2018-10-25 03:32
Hi szacs93,

Interesting long flight, more than 12000 records in your log!

Hi,
We went down the mountain, and when the battery was runing low, we stopped there, and I tried to land the aircraft. I made some "good" footage, but it was difficult due to the movement of the car (example).
2018-10-25
Use props
szacs93
lvl.3
  • >>>
Hungary

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2018-10-25 03:46
I've been hand catching for as long as I can remember and to this date I've got no issue.
If you hand catch, you should know where/when to catch the drone and the proper control of your RC w/ your other hand.
Disclaimer: I only hand catch on land, not in a boat or any moving vehicles.

Believe it or not, but I do hand catch it most of the time when landing.
And to be honest, I do it with the downward sensor on, and put my hand below it, and it detects me, then it slows down to my hand, and this is the point, where I catch it. It worked before but not this time. I don't know how you do it, with sensors on or off, but for me it looks like an easy and okayish procedure except this accident. I hand catched it more than 50 times excluding my MA hand catches.
2018-10-25
Use props
szacs93
lvl.3
  • >>>
Hungary

AACY Posted at 2018-10-25 04:11
Maybe also something worth mentioning is to remember to turn off the drone by using the CSC procedure,every time you are in a crash or see that it might be inminent, normally a turned off device will do less harm to its surroundings and to itself.

Cheers!

The CSC procedure requires some time ~1-2seconds, and it requires two hand and to handle the situation properly. If you look at the logs, the aircraft was on the ground for less than 5 secs trying to correct the situation. If you are able to do it that fast you are a lot better than me at handling these kind of situations.
2018-10-25
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

szacs93 Posted at 2018-10-25 04:12
Hi,
We went down the mountain, and when the battery was runing low, we stopped there, and I tried to land the aircraft. I made some "good" footage, but it was difficult due to the movement of the car (example).

very nice, must be fun to fly your drone like that!  Thanks for your 'example'

cheers
JJB
2018-10-25
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518012 ft
China

szacs93 Posted at 2018-10-25 04:19
The CSC procedure requires some time ~1-2seconds, and it requires two hand and to handle the situation properly. If you look at the logs, the aircraft was on the ground for less than 5 secs trying to correct the situation. If you are able to do it that fast you are a lot better than me at handling these kind of situations.

You are totally right. The CSC requires some time to get executed, that's why I believe is something that has to be practiced to create some kind of muscle memory, so when things go south you can help prevent further damage.

With the CSC you will not avoid all damages, but at least will mitigate some of it, as mentioned before. This can prevent the bird from hitting anything with the props at full speed while increasing the chances of overloading the ESCs which could easily blow them, making the subsequent repairs more extensive and expensive.

IMHO, I would rather have the bird drop 1 meter to the ground with the props off on an imminent crash, than allowing it to go down and create a mess of itself while trying to "recover"

Cheers!
2018-10-25
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Hand catch is easy but i really dont like the "descending with spinning props towards a hand" option as ive seen it go wrong.  I find it FAR easier to have it hovering just above head level and in front, disable landing protection, grab it underneath with a thumb and 2 fingers then with the other hand hold throttle down for 3 seconds to stop the props.  Its a much more controlled method than having something moving towards you with no control.
I operate off boats where hand launch and catch is the only real safe option.  That said, since the M2 has no precision landing i have no need to do a ground based takeoff OR landing any more so to not get dust and dirt into the drone i hand launch and catch pretty much all the time now.
2018-10-25
Use props
S.D. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I always let my PYGTECH landing pad catch my MP2.
2018-10-27
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

I always hand catch my spark and Mavic Pro 1 with no issues at all.
Honestly I prefer to hand catch than normal landing, just because in most cases it’s not possible to land, either sand on the beach or uneven terrain on the mountains

Fly safely all
Alex
2018-10-27
Use props
Fly74
lvl.2

United States

So... were you active tracking while driving the car or just following with remote and flying after the car as you drove  down the road... assuming you would be a passenger if manual flight ;)
2018-10-30
Use props
szacs93
lvl.3
  • >>>
Hungary

Fly74 Posted at 2018-10-30 10:23
So... were you active tracking while driving the car or just following with remote and flying after the car as you drove  down the road... assuming you would be a passenger if manual flight ;)

Actually I was driving the car too, I do it a lot of times, when there is nobody to drive, but I want to create a footage... Of course I was sitting in the front right of the car (and the car had the driving wheel on the left )
2018-10-30
Use props
CreativeSky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hand catch mine all the time. Never had a problem. It couldn't be any simpler to do.
2018-10-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules