Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
LOST MY MAVIC AIR TODAY-Need Help
1234Next >
4995 120 2018-10-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 8594816 ft
  • >>>
United States

TechVoyager Posted at 2018-10-28 10:55
Hello Friends,Thanks everyone for all the quick responses, theories, concepts and guidance. I truly appreciate. Special thanks to JJBSPARK and KEULE for helping me out in tracing the approx search location and figuring out the root cause and sequence of events.

UPDATE:

The "Monkey Lost it" comment does not reflect the majority of the drone community here. I'm very sorry that comment was made in this forum I'm also very sorry you lost your drone and hope you or the farmer can find it after harvest. We've all made mistakes while flying, some are just more expensive than others. I almost lost my Mavic Air due to high wind once and I can attest that sometimes the wind doesn't feel that strong from where you're standing, and you don't realize it's power until the drone is a few hundred feet up and drifting away. I'm glad that many people stepped up and truly tried to find the location. Kudos to those that helped.
2018-10-28
Use props
Fly74
lvl.3

United States

TechVoyager Posted at 2018-10-28 19:10
Yes labelled my name and contact details on the drone.

I hope it is recovered.  I know if I once thought if I found a drone I would be like... happy for me, but after almost losing my little tello I know how I felt and can only imagine the felling of a more expensive one... it would be a mission to find the owner and return, I cannot say I wouldn't want to take it for a test flight ;) until the owner was found.  Good thing you ID it.  Good luck.
2018-10-29
Use props
TechVoyager
First Officer
Flight distance : 59993 ft
India

Hello Jjbspark, keole and all,
Few queries :
a) the red line in the map (as per the phantom log) which ends midway, is that the gps line transmitted by drone. I mean, the red line is the drone flied and sent the gps data till that point. I am asking this, because i just wanted to be sure that we searched the correct location. We searched the green area marked by keole which was just below the point where the red line ended. Just wanted to confirm that the red line is the gps communication set by drone, not just an approx line set by certain parameters. Because if its an approx line then drone could also be fallen where the yellow line ended..

b) if at all someone found my drone, is it possible for him to fly it again? I mean if he factory resets it and buys a separate remote, then he can fly it? Cant i block it somehow, like we block the mobiles through imei when stolen? Can i come to know when the drone gets re-activated?
I am just thinking what if someone found it and wanted to sell it or use it for himself, without any intent to return.

c) my wife is constantly asking and want to suggest a feature to dji - Dji should give some kind of reserve battery charge in the drones so that in this kind of failure situations atleast the drone could use its reserve charge to send constant gps signals, blink its light and sound some kind of beeps for few days constantly, so that user can easily locate it. These are very expensive gadgets and this kind of feature is a must for safeguarding it. Guys what do you think about this? Is there any such accessory or device available in market now? In case in future if i plan to buy a new drone, i would definitely try to fix such kind of accessory to my drone.

Please respond friends.
Thanks.
2018-10-29
Use props
ghostrdr
First Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

No you cannot block it. DJI will  not provide any info on lost drones  nor will they prevent it from being used again.
2018-10-29
Use props
Keule
Captain
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
United States

TechVoyager Posted at 2018-10-29 08:38
Few queries :
a) the red line in the map (as per the phantom log) which ends midway, is that the gps line transmitted by drone. I mean, the red line is the drone flied and sent the gps data till that point. I am asking this, because i just wanted to be sure that we searched the correct location. We searched the green area marked by keole which was just below the point where the red line ended. Just wanted to confirm that the red line is the gps communication set by drone, not just an approx line set by certain parameters. Because if its an approx line then drone could also be fallen where the yellow line ended..

I'd like to answer:
a) The last known location is derived from the flightlogs. No computation or other maths were applied.
See Airdata's detailed info as a screenshot:

b) Yes - If the drone and battery are OK, the only thing what has to be done is: Buy a Remote Controller, bind both and fly.

c) Contact DJI. Maybe a Forum Mod takes your request and routes it to the proper departement.
2018-10-29
Use props
bbloomquist
Second Officer
Flight distance : 878852 ft
United States

Few queries :

You can buy aftermarket gps locators for your drone Flytrex and Trackimo are a couple that come to mind..
2018-10-29
Use props
JJBspark
Captain
Flight distance : 3678379 ft
Netherlands

Few queries :

Hi,

Nothing to add to the post #88.

Made some height changes to your data to get in FRAP a better picture, pretty sure that your drone is not far form the point where the flight path ended.

Good luck with finding!

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2018-10-29
Use props
TechVoyager
First Officer
India

JJBspark Posted at 2018-10-29 09:02
Hi,

Nothing to add to the post #88.

Few more questions:
a) During RTH does the sports mode gets disabled automatically? I mean during this debacle, my remote was constantly put on in sports mode and i thought that RTH will bring back my drone in sports mode speeds, but instead it switched to normal speed of 28kmph when i switched RTH despite my remote having sports mode switch ON.
b) i know now that flying drones in such windy conditions is not the right thing but still just wanted to know, which drone would have handled this situation better? If at all i purchase a new one, it wont be MA definitely. Iam preferring Mavic Pro (not Mavic 2, as its very costly now). Do you guys think Mavic Pro would have survived this condition because of its stronger occusync network and body weight and powerful motors compared to MA? Funny thing is in youtube, people are saying that MA could handle storms and whirlpools and people have taken tripod kind of shots in stormy speeds over 80 to 120kmph. I mean, WTH? Nowadays you can put any rubbish on youtube. Thats why iam asking you experts advice.

Please suggest as i want to take an informed decision before buying my next one. Thanks

2018-10-29
Use props
bbloomquist
Second Officer
Flight distance : 878852 ft
United States

I am new to the drone world but I don't think the Mavic Air 68 KPH in s-mode, Mavic Pro 65 KPH in s-mode and the Mavic 2 72 KPH in s-mode would have made it home in those winds your file showed in flight winds of 72 KPH+ the Mavic 2 would have had the best chance of making it back.
UAV Forcast is a good tool for pre flight data https://www.uavforecast.com/#/ it is also available in a phone app give it a try

Bart

2018-10-29
Use props
Keule
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Here my 2 cts:

a) During RTH does the sports mode gets disabled automatically? I mean during this debacle, my remote was constantly put on in sports mode and i thought that RTH will bring back my drone in sports mode speeds, but instead it switched to normal speed of 28kmph when i switched RTH despite my remote having sports mode switch ON.

That's how DJI designed the procedure. But, you could control your forward speed with the control sticks while in RTH mode (and altitude as well) See Mavic AIR manual pg. 15.

Do you guys think Mavic Pro would have survived this condition because of its stronger occusync network and body weight and powerful motors compared to MA?

No. You have to understand the basics in aerodynamics. (No offence) Please read some articles about 'air speed' vs. 'ground speed' vs. 'wind speed'
2018-10-29
Use props
TechVoyager
First Officer
India

I was going through the phantom logs and https://app.airdata.com/share/rh ... ns&val=detailed

One thing i noticed that there were lot many "Not Enough Force/ESC Error" mostly in the cases whenever my joystick movement was there. What is this error? i read that ESC error is something when the aircraft is not able to respond to your remote commands for movements may be due to ESC board failures or some motor issues? is it so? because i also noticed that the aircraft was not responding to my forward or backward commands.

2nd thing is in the "GoHome" mode - i believe this was the RTH mode, why the aircraft speed was always showing somewhere around 4 to 9 mph? it should have been more right ? and why at all it was not showing any movement towards the home point? From starting it was flying opposite to the homepoint direction.. Atleast the flight data should have shown the speed as 28kmph or more even when it was struggling against the wind?

Can someone explain this in simple words? Why the speed was so low all the time and why not a single time i saw any effort made by the flight to come towards the homepoint? it was always drifting away...i dont think that in 10mins of flight it could have got constant wind flow? there could be somepoint in the air, that the wind flow would have been less, and it should have atleast shown some movement towards the homepoint.

Please clarify.
2018-10-29
Use props
Keule
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

One thing i noticed that there were lot many "Not Enough Force/ESC Error"

Because the maximum power from the batteries is delivered to the motors via the ESC's. I see this warning sometimes in my logs when flying in gusty wind.
The flight controller tries to follow your joystick command, but is unable to do so, because it reached its power limit due to the execssive wind situation. Hence the warning.

why the aircraft speed was always showing somewhere around 4 to 9 mph? it should have been more right ?

No - due to headwind. The aircraft flies at is maximum pitch angle and maximum motor thrust. The headwind applies a counter force vector against the aircraft in the travel direction.
V(ground) = V(airspeed)  + V(wind)
If the Mavic is doing, let's say 50 km/h in ideally conditions (i.e. no wind) then it's ground speed is 50 km/h (50+0=50)

Headwind is treated as a negative vector, so it has to added as a negative number in above equation.
The Mavic is again flying at its given max. flight envelope and now it is encountering a 40 km/h headwind, the resulting ground speed is 10 km/h (50+ (-40) =10)

Now, if the headwind exceeds the maxium capabilities of the aircraft, let's say a windspeed at 70 km/h. The aircraft is being flying backwards at 20 km/h. (50+ (-70) = -20)
2018-10-30
Use props
JJBspark
Captain
Netherlands

TechVoyager Posted at 2018-10-29 23:37
I was going through the phantom logs and https://app.airdata.com/share/rhUzZM/GENERALNotifications&val=detailed

One thing i noticed that there were lot many "Not Enough Force/ESC Error" mostly in the cases whenever my joystick movement was there. What is this error? i read that ESC error is something when the aircraft is not able to respond to your remote commands for movements may be due to ESC board failures or some motor issues? is it so? because i also noticed that the aircraft was not responding to my forward or backward commands.

Hi,

No offence, but it is hard to understand/accept for you what happend to your MA.

ESC errors are often see when the motors have to work hard and reaching their max rpm.
And yes, sometimes its a motherboard/component fail wich give such a error.
But i must say i have read so many different explanations about ESC errors, that my opinion is probably not for 100% correct.

At RTH your MA turned toward HomePoint. (see chart 3)
In chart 3 you will see that your MA did respond to all of your stick inputs. (because of high wind not the normal effect you would expect as flying in good weather conditions wich MA can handle).

In sport mode you did not put pitch fwd input, so MA wants to hold position (gps-lock-position). As you can see it try to do that with a pitch down angle of minus 30- 33....Drone drifts backwards away from you.

The moment you start to give pitch input it was the wrong way, aft stick instead of fwd pitch.
Speed increases ; more aft speed! (see the angles goes from minus to up)

In RTH mode always check in the app if the distance value from home decreases. Using the compass and this distance value tells you within seconds if RTH brings your drome home.
So after few seconds you (we all drone flyers) can make a new decision what to do. 10 minutes of flying is waste of batt power wich we need in such a situation to find a good place to land or lower height to find less wind or...etc.

My friendly advice to you is a) to read more about wind, groundspeed versus airspeed etc and how a DJI drone uses it flight software and b) get more knowlegde for your next flights.

cheers
JJB
analysis3.png
analysis1.png
analysis2.png
2018-10-30
Use props
DJKOR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2035676 ft
Australia

Unfortunately, it's just going to be a hard lesson. In future, apart from checking wind conditions prior to flying, you need to also keep an eye on the flight stats while up in the air. As early as 45 seconds into the flight, there would have been a high wind velocity warning but regardless of that, looking at data like distance from home would show that the value was increasing while you were applying no control to the right stick. If you start to see things like that happen, you need to re-assess your flight, switch into sport mode and fly back ASAP, dropping altitude if possible. At least if you do so as early as possible, you have a lot more battery to work with.

As for constant windflow, depending on the location, it is quite normal to not have a break in the wind for the whole 10 minutes.
2018-10-30
Use props
TechVoyager
First Officer
India

JJBspark Posted at 2018-10-30 00:22
Hi,

No offence, but it is hard to understand/accept for you what happend to your MA.

No No JJB, it may look like that i am not able to accept this...The thing is this incident has opened my eyes and i learnt many things and techniques and learnt a lot from my mistakes.. This unpleasant incident uncovered many mistakes that i usually don't  do, but that day i somehow committed all stupid things.
I never analysed phantom logs and the air data thinking that i don't need it as my drone will never face any problem but now when i myself faced this and you people are sharing all these details, i came to know about all these parameters and how to read these logs. Lot of questions got clarified. Its good for me in a way that i wont be doing such mistakes in future...

Learnings from this incident:
a) Never underestimate the power of nature. use tools like UAC to understand wind velocity and then fly it, if the wind is normal. [Normally i don't fly in heavy winds, but that day knowingly i took risk]
b) Sports mode will be disabled in RTH [New learning]. In SPORTS mode manually control and fly it back.
c) Always do a basic box flight before launching the drone full on in air. [I always do up/down/left/right flight at 1-3 ft height, but that day i became overconfident and flew it]
d) When it started drifting away, i PANICKED. [This was the killer, i should have taken a break, calm down and planned my actions. At some point, instead of bringing it back towards me, i was flying it away from me, unknowingly and wind accelerated the process. Also even when i was in sports mode, i didnt use the sports mode effectively.]
e) If you cant see your drone and cant identify the location in camera mode, then we should switch to the map mode and slowly fly the drone back to us based on the map navigation and data shown. [I knew this but , at that moment it didn't strike my mind]
f) In case battery is super low and we judge that it cant come back, then we should try to land it safely ASAP and move the camera downwards, so that we can atleast locate where exactly it landed. [I Panicked and centered the gimbal as a result now i don't know where exactly it fell down]
g) Last but not the least - PRACTICE , PRACTICE, PRACTICE and MORE PRACTICE.

This was an Expensive Training for me . Hope the above points help someone from incidents like this. [INSPIRED BY TRUE EVENTS !!! ]
2018-10-30
Use props
JJBspark
Captain
Netherlands

TechVoyager Posted at 2018-10-30 00:47
No No JJB, it may look like that i am not able to accept this...The thing is this incident has opened my eyes and i learnt many things and techniques and learnt a lot from my mistakes.. This unpleasant incident uncovered many mistakes that i usually don't  do, but that day i somehow committed all stupid things.
I never analysed phantom logs and the air data thinking that i don't need it as my drone will never face any problem but now when i myself faced this and you people are sharing all these details, i came to know about all these parameters and how to read these logs. Lot of questions got clarified. Its good for me in a way that i wont be doing such mistakes in future...

Hi,

Ok, good to read you reaction. Learning all the time for all things in life! especially drone flying as is it not so easy!

for your e) i use always this  https://forum.dji.com/thread-144696-1-1.html

Practise this a lot ( i do this now and than ) and its so 'easy' to bring a drone back home.

cheers
JJB
2018-10-30
Use props
Tomcatuk
First Officer
Flight distance : 28743 ft
United Kingdom

TechVoyager Posted at 2018-10-28 19:10
Yes labelled my name and contact details on the drone.

Good thinking which has reminded me to do the same with a mobile number just in case.... good luck with finding the drone...
2018-10-30
Use props
TechNinja
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1033865 ft
India

I lost my mavic pro on 28th Oct almost in the same place(Skandagiri) due to heavy wind!
Tried searching at the last reported location when battery was 0%. But I am not able to locate it so far. I went with 4 friends twice to search... but couldnt locate! It is a in the forest area and not easy to find...  Reached the exact location after half day effort. But couldnt find the drone!
Please help!
2018-11-2
Use props
kowal63
First Officer
Flight distance : 579843 ft
United States

TechVoyager Posted at 10-27 05:53
Sure brothers.. Pray for me.. I was totally disheartened by this incident. Hopefully i will find it tomorrow in a good shape.

I am sorry man ....hope you find it
2018-11-3
Use props
kowal63
First Officer
Flight distance : 579843 ft
United States

kowal63 Posted at 11-3 05:25
I am sorry man ....hope you find it

lost, mine too

Wow! wow! wow! What a fight!

Let me re-enact last 3.5 minutes of your Spark's life:
9m 59 sec – Return home warning – battery low

10m 2 sec – you stop flying.

10m 9 sec – drone starts automatic RTH sequence tripped by low battery power. This is correct action.

10m 12 sec – automatic heading alignment in the direction of home point is completed – drone starts flying back but skims along geo-fence unable to penetrate it. It is not flying in the direction it is pointing to (home point) but rather along the geo-fence getting closer to home.
You are not providing any stick input – just waiting for Spark to do its job.

11m 21 sec – Spark is near closest point to home on the other side of the fence – its further progress along the fence would only take it further away. So it stops.

11m 22 sec – You switch to Sport mode thus cancelling RTH (which was useless anyways) but you do not touch sticks. Nothing happens since nothing can happen.

11m 24 sec – Spark initiates auto-landing due to critical battery level. Altitude 45 metres. You are not touching your sticks.

11m 28 sec – You start turning camera down – but still no directional input for drone.

11m 33 sec – Finally you decide to take control and start flying Spark – you cannot get through geo-fence – your actions are chaotic – Spark is going down.

11m 41 sec – You give up. Spark is 17 metres above water and landing with speed about 1 m/s.

11m 46 sec – You direct Spark to fly up. It obeys. You do it for half a second only and than watch in horror as Spark continues is journey down.

Few more chaotic stick movements follow but Spark is pretty much stuck and going down.

12 m 11 sec – 5 metres above water. You attempt to raise the elevation and you succeed. Battery is down to 6%

13 m 22 sec – You got Spark 53 metres up, you are facing roughly good direction and you are trying like crazy to fly home. Geo-fence stops you. Battery level is 0%. Doom is almost inevitable.

13m 31 sec – forced landing due to no power left.

Your Spark sinks while your right thumb is on full throttle forward in your direction but Spark is being stopped by geo-fence.

This was extremely well done and good fight. Congratulations!

I suspect that had you hit RTH again while Spark was stuck at the fence - it would have flown through it as was in case of 62+. However, I do not know for sure since 62+ case was slightly different - his geo-fence was not enforced airport geo-fence but rather geo-fence he set himself by setting max flight distance in DJI GO App. I strongly suspect that behaviour would be the same (that is - success) but I am not sure.

If you have warranty I would be very surprised if DJI would not honor it.

This is very clearly DJI design error which prevented you from safe landing despite quite heroic efforts.
DJI allowed you to operate within restricted space and yet, once you flew out, they did not allow you to come back. Very, very clear error on DJI part.

Good luck and please keep us posted on your success with DJI.

Mirek

MINE WAS 25 feet away
2018-11-3
Use props
TechVoyager
First Officer
India

[LATEST UPDATE]
The drone is stolen !!! and sold in gray market too.

Well i was approached by a local drone search team from a DJI local club, whose i am part of. Along with them and a cop , we visited the area once again with full preparation. We surveyed the drone aerially through 2 different phantoms and the ground area was searched thoroughly by 8 people. We found one broken propeller of my drone. The cop who accompanied me asked the local farmers in his own techniques and then we came to know that the drone was immediately picked up by one of the villager, the moment it crash landed. It was long gone before we reached the area itself. When we left the area after our first search operation, that same evening the drone was sold to a person who in turn sold it to a gray market dealer. So this was the whole story. End of story - MAVIC AIR IS GONE.
The police is trying to catch hold of these people but also told us not to have any hopes of getting it back, as the parts will be sold in pieces and its untraceable.

Now good news is, i approached DJI and they gracefully accepted to provide me some discount on my next MA [single drone unit] purchase. So waiting for the quotation from DJI, lets see. If the quoted price is good enough for me, then i will definitely take it.

Thanks for all your support, wishes and compliments. Hope someone could learn something from my ordeal. Stay safe and happy flying guys. Peace !!
2018-11-12
Use props
TechVoyager
First Officer
India

FEW SUGGESTIONS TO DJI:

1) DJI should implement some kind of MAC ID tracking [Similar to Mobile IMEI] in their drones. In order to fly the drone, we need to activate the drone via DJI account login. So in this kind of scenario, if the thief tries to activate the stolen drone then DJI should be able to identify it through this MAC ID and should stop it or disable it or kill it [OR] atleast inform the original customer about its whereabouts through GPS co-ordinates. This kind of feature will be very helpful.

2) DJI should implement some kind of reserve battery system which should be used only after critical battery level conditions, to send atleast the GPS co-ordinates of the drone for 1 to 3 days. This will help in quick recovery of the lost drones. In my case, the battery died mid air, so after it crash landed, whether it was moved by somebody or its exact crash location could not be identified.

I think these 2 features are the most important and DJI should implement it. As these are not cheap toys, they are quite sophisticated and expensive gadgets and these kind of anti-lost techniques can help us recover our drones in many such scenarios. HOPE SOMEBODY FROM DJI CAN LOOK INTO THIS AND FORWARD THIS TO THEIR ENGINEERING TEAM.
2018-11-12
Use props
Hddeuce
Second Officer
Flight distance : 128261 ft
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 10-28 09:27
hallmark007 - As the moving air is pushed over a mountain range it is squeezed between the mountains and the top of the troposphere, causing the wind to speed up.
hallmark007 - something I know plenty about is weather and mountains and there was nothing wrong in what I said,  

HedgeTrimmer, Someone adept at a quick Google search would have discovered that Hallmark007 is indeed correct in what he stated.  In fact, the 1st article I found stated his EXACT Words!  

https://mountaintrails.ie/effect-wind-mountains/

Notice in the 3rd paragraph it states:  

"The speed and direction of the wind can be unpredictable in the uplands. As the moving air is pushed over a mountain range it is squeezed between the mountains and the top of the troposphere, causing the wind to speed up."

It would indeed appear that for some reason, you are trolling Hallmark, when he was simply trying to help the OP.
2018-11-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Hddeuce Posted at 11-14 07:02
HedgeTrimmer, Someone adept at a quick Google search would have discovered that Hallmark007 is indeed correct in what he stated.  In fact, the 1st article I found stated his EXACT Words!  

First let me congratulate you on finding something to back hallmark's claim, when he couldn't after I asked him to: 'Please provide Link(s) to where it states wind speed increases due to air being squeezed between mountains and "top of the troposphere"'.

Questions:

Why didn't hallmark007 simply post a link to where he got his claim from (perhaps even your link)?

Why did hallmark007 later come back with what follows, contradicting his original claim of windspeed increasing due to squeezing between mountains & top of the troposphere?  
''Warm air is lighter than cold air, so the air at ground level tends to  rise, displacing the cold air at higher elevations, which falls. This  creates convection currents throughout the troposphere, and they are  more predominant at higher elevations, where the air is less dense and  can move more freely. Consequently, winds are stronger at higher  elevations.''

Do you really believe the person (Russ) who wrote article "The Effect of wind in the Moutains" is credible?  Credible enough to counter science of warm air rising / cold air sinking?

PS: I did do several internet searches, and nothing with credibility came up to back hallmark007's claim.  Which is why I asked him politely to provide a link.

2018-11-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 5694849 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I didn’t answer because I’m sick of being trolled , and I wasn’t asked politely, but with malice, thank you  Hddeuce .
2018-11-14
Use props
Hddeuce
Second Officer
Flight distance : 128261 ft
United States

Hddeuce Posted at 11-14 07:02

I can't answer for Hallmark, however, when someone disputes what someone else states the burden of proof is on the accuser (you).  
2018-11-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-14 09:23
I didn’t answer because I’m sick of being trolled , and I wasn’t asked politely, but with malice, thank you  Hddeuce .

Quit playing the victim card.  You are guilty of what you accuse.
On numerous occasions you have made false accusations about me and others, and when challenged to backup your accusations - You can't.  Then you start your SPINs, Twists, Denials, and Oh Woe is me.
Lot of us are tired of you B.lowing S.moke, miss-leading people.
2018-11-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Hddeuce Posted at 11-14 10:54
I can't answer for Hallmark, however, when someone disputes what someone else states the burden of proof is on the accuser (you).

You got it exactly backwards.  When someone makes a claim, and claim is questioned, it is up to person making claim to provide proof.  One of pillars of Science.

If one goes by what you state - I could claim Sky is orange and you would have to prove me wrong.  

2018-11-14
Use props
TechVoyager
First Officer
India

Hi Guys,

I have a question: I remembered a fact that when i was flying my drone, i had kept the propeller guards ON the aircraft. Just wondering, could it be one of the reason behind this fly-away incident; because as per my theory - adding prop-guards on the drone will increase the surface area of the drone and this resulted in the drone flyaway as the increased surface area in heavy winds, increased the wind resistance for the drone to fight and also could have impacted the sports mode speeds as well due to wind resistance and additional weight. Similar to a Kite in heavy wind situations.

Was my theory right? Are we not suppose to use prop-guards in such conditions? where to use prop- guards and where not?

Please share your thoughts on it.
Thanks.
2018-11-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 5694849 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

TechVoyager Posted at 11-15 22:57
Hi Guys,

I have a question: I remembered a fact that when i was flying my drone, i had kept the propeller guards ON the aircraft. Just wondering, could it be one of the reason behind this fly-away incident; because as per my theory - adding prop-guards on the drone will increase the surface area of the drone and this resulted in the drone flyaway as the increased surface area in heavy winds, increased the wind resistance for the drone to fight and also could have impacted the sports mode speeds as well due to wind resistance and additional weight. Similar to a Kite in heavy wind situations.

I think you are right, Mavic Air is not very stealth with prop guards on.
2018-11-16
Use props
fans5b3f5928
lvl.4
Flight distance : 113484 ft
Sweden

Tomcatuk Posted at 10-30 05:49
Good thinking which has reminded me to do the same with a mobile number just in case.... good luck with finding the drone...

You can also save you'r contactinformation on the memorycard.
2018-11-17
Use props
MAPilot
Second Officer
United States

TechVoyager Posted at 11-15 22:57
Hi Guys,

I have a question: I remembered a fact that when i was flying my drone, i had kept the propeller guards ON the aircraft. Just wondering, could it be one of the reason behind this fly-away incident; because as per my theory - adding prop-guards on the drone will increase the surface area of the drone and this resulted in the drone flyaway as the increased surface area in heavy winds, increased the wind resistance for the drone to fight and also could have impacted the sports mode speeds as well due to wind resistance and additional weight. Similar to a Kite in heavy wind situations.

The short answer to your question is that your drone would have stayed airborne longer without the prop guards, but it would not have changed the outcome.

I've read the thread from the beginning, and you seem to have had trouble understanding airspeed vs groundspeed.  

Perhaps it would help if you visualize that as soon as you lift off into the air, your drone becomes a part of the air mass that is moving across the earth.  If you had a cheap drone without GPS, and didn't touch the controls, the drone would be carried by the wind; its airspeed would be 0, but its groundspeed would be whatever the windspeed is, and the direction would be wherever the wind is going.  Your Mavic Air has GPS and other sensors that sense where the drone is being carried by the wind, and adjusts the power to the props to keep the drone still, RELATIVE TO THE EARTH.  As the wind speed increases, there will come a point where your MA doesn't have enough power to hold position, and starts to drift with the wind.

If you input full stick forward, but your horizontal speed is very slow, that's telling you that you need to land VERY soon, even if it's not at home.  Better to have a controlled landing at an alternate site, than to crash on the way to the launch point.  Putting it into Sport mode lets you move faster, but it also drains the battery much faster; either way, land ASAP, while you still have control.  

While on the topic of prop guards, keep in mind that while they may prevent crashes when you fly into something solid, they may also cause the drone to hang up in a tree or bush.  It's a choice you have to make by evaluating the environment in which you're planning to fly.

There's a lot more to flying a drone than just reading the manual, although that's a necessary first step.  Experience is something that comes with flying the drone, but also learning from other peoples' mistakes through forums like this.  I also suggest visiting the Mavic forums at www.mavicpilots.com - lot of good discussion there.

Good luck!!
2018-12-2
Use props
TechVoyager
First Officer
India

Hi Guys,

A small update for you guys : I FINALLY FOUND MY LOST MAVIC AIR

The person who stole it from the crash site, tried a lot to sell it off for 2 months period, but failed to get any buyer as no-one wanted to buy a drone without a remote and a dead battery and no license.
So finally, he made up a story about how he found it, and contacted me and then shamelessly tried to sell my own drone to me in $400 . With the help of local cops, i tracked his address and caught the guy and finally my lost bird is back with me. The drone has crash landed from a very high altitude as seen from the SD card footage. But to my surprise, not a single scratch or broken parts and its flying without any problem. As the batteries were not charged since 3 months, the battery has died.

Now i have 2 MAs - as i thought that the previous drone is lost and meanwhile bought a new MA single unit from DJI . Planning to sell off my old one but not getting buyers as everyone wants to buy it with a remote and i don't have two controllers. If anyone has lost theirs MA and want to buy single unit, then they can approach me. Thanks a lot guys for all your support and help. Happy Landings !!
2019-1-21
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

TechVoyager Posted at 1-21 21:48
Hi Guys,

thats an awesome story, glad justice was served and you got your bird back.  

not that i need another mavic air, but how much are you selling the other MA for?
2019-1-21
Use props
TechVoyager
First Officer
India

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-21 21:53
thats an awesome story, glad justice was served and you got your bird back.  

not that i need another mavic air, but how much are you selling the other MA for?

I am looking for somewhere around $420 for the single unit, without the battery,remote and other accessories. The new single unit which i bought from DJI was around $558 after discount.
2019-1-21
Use props
Boffin
First Officer
Australia

Congratulations for your recovery work. Are the police going to take action against the thief?
2019-1-21
Use props
TechVoyager
First Officer
India

Boffin Posted at 1-21 23:45
Congratulations for your recovery work. Are the police going to take action against the thief?

Yes, he got nice thrashing from cops for stealing and some penalty fine for cheating. As he was a local farmer and the drone was undamaged, so they didn't do much to him as he had no previous criminal records.
2019-1-22
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1595089 ft
  • >>>
United States

TechVoyager Posted at 1-21 21:48
Hi Guys,

Wow, what a story of intrigue.  A drone crash, an international team of recovery experts, cops, and robbers!!!  This drone drama just doesn't get any better!
2019-1-22
Use props
BKahuna
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4956050 ft
United States

TechVoyager Posted at 2018-10-28 11:29
Ya i checked about that too.. Good thing is they use hand cutting techniques, they dont use any tractors or heavy machinery for cutting crops..so hopefully if its there they will find it easily without any problems.. Fingers crossed.

Even if the drone gets damaged during the harvest, you should collect whatever remains.  If you have DJI Care and can return a badly broken drone - it will be replaced.  Hopefully it is found intact and waiting for you.
*** UPDATE:  Sorry - I was a little late with this comment.  I hadn't read all the way to the bottom of the thread when I posted.  I'm very glad you got your drone back!
2019-1-22
Use props
BKahuna
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4956050 ft
United States

The main reason RTH is done in P-Mode is that it's flying home unattended and any faster than 18mph and the collision avoidance can't respond quickly enough.  As someone noted, you can push the stick forward and get more speed but you'll have no CA.
2019-1-22
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules