2058 15 2018-10-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
adir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 58258 ft
Israel

Hi,

Has anyone noticed jpeg/video image distorition by the Mavic Air?
Initially I thought it may be resolved by gimbal calibration, but aparently its not related.

Below is an example of the same picture, in JPEG and in raw DNG - streight out of the Mavic Air without any post processing.Analyze the horizon carefully. Yes, its not level in either, but thats no the issue. The problem is that its a perfectly streight line in the orignal DNG file, while the JPEG horizon looks distorted, turing slightly up and down in the middle and towards the edges.
What is even more concenring, is that the same distortion is showing also on the video.
Using Firmware version 0500.

Any ideas? Has anyone noticed this on their Mavic?

Including screen shots of the two images I'm comparing. (the forum won't allow uploading originals)
Original files can be downloaded from:
DJI_0006.DNG
DJI_0006.JPG

Thanks!
Adiror

JPG-Horizon isn’t streight in the middle and on the sizes

JPG-Horizon isn’t streight in the middle and on the sizes

DNG-Horizon not level but streight

DNG-Horizon not level but streight
2018-10-27
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Mauritius

Yep, I have the same issue, wavy bumps in the horizon line. I have no idea if it's a camera issue or software.
2018-10-27
Use props
adir
lvl.2
Israel

gyrex Posted at 2018-10-27 09:22
Yep, I have the same issue, wavy bumps in the horizon line. I have no idea if it's a camera issue or software.

Interesting... my point is that it must be software, because it doesn't show up in the raw DNG.
2018-10-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Distortion is not normal in Mavic Air , in fact MavAir is probably dji’s best craft for keeping straight Horizon , it can easily be cured in post , but I suspect that’s not the point.
First thing I would do is a cold IMU calibration it should be done cold and has to be done on a very level surface, use sprit level when doing calibration. Then on the same level surface do a gimbal calibration.
If this does not fix it then you should return to dji for repair or replacement.

Just remember you were flying on the coast where you can get some strong gusts of wind.
I don’t think it’s FW .500 issue as I’ve just checked all my footage since .500 and everything seems fine.
2018-10-27
Use props
adir
lvl.2
Israel

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-27 10:59
Distortion is not normal in Mavic Air , in fact MavAir is probably dji’s best craft for keeping straight Horizon , it can easily be cured in post , but I suspect that’s not the point.
First thing I would do is a cold IMU calibration it should be done cold and has to be done on a very level surface, use sprit level when doing calibration. Then on the same level surface do a gimbal calibration.
If this does not fix it then you should return to dji for repair or replacement.

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll do that. However, all the DNG footage is already completely straight (as you can see with sample of the same photo), so why do you think IMU/Gimbal have anything to do with this?
2018-10-27
Use props
craighuddy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76545 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hmm, my guess is it is a software issue. Otherwise, the DMG file would be distorted if it was a lens/hardware issue. Hopefully this is an easy fix...and that we don't have to wait 6 months!
2018-10-28
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Adiror, sorry for the late response. This has been forwarded to our engineers to check, we'll keep you updated on the latest progress, thank you for your patience.
2018-10-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

gyrex Posted at 2018-10-27 09:22

Hi gyrex, just to verify, does the issue appear recently? May I have the version number of the aircraft? Please kindly upload some original pictures/videos from SD card, we'd like to check the exact status, thank you!
2018-10-29
Use props
KREMi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

ineresting, plz keep us informed what is happening from DJI side
2018-10-29
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi adir,

I opened the original pictures at 50% and copied both, see the 2 files

Wich one is the JPG and wich one is the DNG?

Both have the same horizon (both not a straight line...)

cheers
JJB
pic1.png
pic2.png
2018-10-29
Use props
adir
lvl.2
Israel

JJBspark Posted at 2018-10-29 13:32
Hi adir,

I opened the original pictures at 50% and copied both, see the 2 files

What you display here is clearly not what I’m seeing.
Which software are you using? My guess is that your software converts the DNG before displaying it, and the wavy horizon is a result of this mul-conversion, just like what happens when its converted to jpeg by the MA.
Here is what I get, looking at the horizon of the two files - you can clearly see the difference:

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 10.20.41.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 10.21.27.jpg
2018-10-30
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

adir Posted at 2018-10-30 00:18
What you display here is clearly not what I’m seeing.
Which software are you using? My guess is that your software converts the DNG before displaying it, and the wavy horizon is a result of this mul-conversion, just like what happens when its converted to jpeg by the MA.
Here is what I get, looking at the horizon of the two files - you can clearly see the difference:

Hi adir,

I am not a expert in this, use just W10 and opened the original files with default windows viewer.
And yes, is see in your 2 screenshot that horizon 'error'.
cheers
JJB
2018-10-30
Use props
adir
lvl.2
Israel

JJBspark Posted at 2018-10-30 00:34
Hi adir,

I am not a expert in this, use just W10 and opened the original files with default windows viewer.

Bug must be when converting the DNG to JPEG, and am pretty sure W10 does the same wrong conversion as the MA - look like we’re on to something.
I’m using a Mac, which apparently manages to convert this correctly, but this is a whole different topic :-)
2018-10-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

adir Posted at 2018-10-27 12:35
Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll do that. However, all the DNG footage is already completely straight (as you can see with sample of the same photo), so why do you think IMU/Gimbal have anything to do with this?

There looks to be distortion in both dng and jpeg, it’s not a known problem with Mavic Air, so this was mainly the reason I advised gimbal and IMU calibration .
2018-10-30
Use props
NoSloppy
lvl.1

United States

Hi. First post, and I'm resurrecting this thread as I have the following GIF to show what I'm seeing between DNG and JPG. The DNG seems distorted and cropped.Can't attach GIF here apparently, so here's the imgur link:

https://imgur.com/f8zV0AX
ezgif-1-587509d384f3.gif
2019-7-28
Use props
Mahealani Gambill
New

United States

Same thing is happening with me Help!
2020-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now