Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
proctorvision
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1082589 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hello,

I recently noticed my Ronin-S can no longer find and maintain horizontal level. The camera is perfectly balanced when powered off and shows excellent balance on all axis when powered on. I am fairly experienced with gimbals having owned the Ronin-M for almsot 2 years. I have tried restore gimbal setup, system calibration, rebalancing camera, changing firmware version, smooth track on and off. The issue seems to get worse with continuous use even after double tapping the trigger. I can't find what is causing this issue or how to fix it other than applying push on the roll access and manually adjusting. This is obviously not a practical fix. I hope this is just something simple I am overlooking. More details and video example are below.

Equipment & Firmware:
Panasonic GH5 Version 2.3
Leica 8-18mm Version 1.0
Ronin-S Version 1.5.0.40
App Version 1.1.4(113)

I made a video of a test I conducted to show the issue. I conducted the same test with the same camera and lens on the Ronin-M to conclude the camera is not the issue.

Video Example:

Any help to resolve this issue would be much appreaciated.

Thank you,

Chris
2018-10-27
Use props
proctorvision
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Is anyone else having this issue?

I have contacted customer support, they reviewed the video and acknowledged it should not be performing this way. They recommended trying to reset the joint angle which I did but it only fixed the problem temporarily. Once I double tap the trigger or move around with the Ronin the roll axis loses level again.
2018-10-31
Use props
Ulysses
lvl.4
Flight distance : 573310 ft
Brazil

So probably a firmware issue?
2018-11-1
Use props
Moshe.mmm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1320098 ft
  • >>>
Israel

I noticed the same behavior with gh5s. The level green line on the  screen loses it's horizontal alignment when I move with the ronin. Is it the same with all of your gh5's cameras guys?

2018-11-1
Use props
proctorvision
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Ulysses Posted at 11-1 05:21
So probably a firmware issue?

Thats what I'm leaning towards but I would suspect it would be happening to more people if it were something in the firmware. When I spoke on the phone with DJI they said they were forwarding the video I made to the engineering department to investigate. Who knows how long that will take... It's back to the Ronin-M in the meantime for me.
2018-11-1
Use props
proctorvision
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Moshe.mmm Posted at 11-1 14:05
I noticed the same behavior with gh5s. The level green line on the  screen loses it's horizontal alignment when I move with the ronin. Is it the same with all of your gh5's cameras guys?

The green level line on the GH5 is losing level because the Ronin is not holding the camera level. I doubt it is only a GH5 issue unless it is something with the way the GH5 itself is weighted that is causing the Ronin to horizontal drift.

Anyone having this issue on other camera?
2018-11-1
Use props
bob_angie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321519 ft
United States

proctorvision Posted at 11-1 15:24
The green level line on the GH5 is losing level because the Ronin is not holding the camera level. I doubt it is only a GH5 issue unless it is something with the way the GH5 itself is weighted that is causing the Ronin to horizontal drift.

Anyone having this issue on other camera?

Is the camera connected to the gimbal via USB-C or is the Ronin just operating freely? I'm not suggesting it should operate this way one way or the other, but it would be nice to know if it's linked to using the camera. If it is connected to the camera, does it only happen with the camera is recording? or does it happen even when the camera is not recording? There is a known bug with the GH5 and the Ronin-S when recording on low-end SD cards.
2018-11-1
Use props
proctorvision
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

This problem is still occurring even after the latest firmware update. It happens regardless if the camera is connected or unconnected to the Ronin or if it is recording or not. I was really hoping the issue would be resolved in the latest firmware update as I have had to go back to using the Ronin-M.

Any other ideas of how to fix this issue?
2018-11-27
Use props
Flo the Pirate
lvl.4
Austria

the only thing I am seeing is that the roll axes is taking the most power (3)  that means balancing ist not as good as the other two axes ... also does your ronin M have gps connection - your ronin s probably doesn´t have the new gps module yet what would help a lot to keep perfect horizon ... just my two cents
2018-11-27
Use props
proctorvision
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

I don't believe the Ronin-M has a GPS connection... I certainly haven't made any alterations to the unit. I just tried using my Canon 80D on the Ronin-S and I get the same issue. I obviously completely rebalanced for the Canon and I have lots of experience balancing gimbals so I don't think the balance is the issue. Could it be the roll motor has an issue? It's almost like there is a trim on the roll axis.
2018-11-28
Use props
astarmess
New

Russia

I have the same issue. ronin holds the horisontal level in wrong position. I've applied the latest firmware. theres no result
2018-12-1
Use props
proctorvision
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

I am sending my unit into DJI for further analysis and hopefully a resolution. I will keep you posted on the outcome.
2018-12-4
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Chris.  You made an incredible video to illustrate the problem.  That said, I want to make a small suggestion to help you should you decide to do a test like this again.  There are two small issues with your video that diminish the results of your findings.  The warping of your lens makes it more difficult to see the tilt because straight lines near the top and bottom of the frame have an arc.  Maybe next time use at least a 50mm lens.  but the biggest issue is that (at times) you end up not looking straight at the wall, you are looking down the wall, which gives all of your lines a parallax distortion.  Next time, measure a distance from a side wall, let’s say 10’ and place a vertical marker on the wall and a horizontal marker to make a cross.   Then measure 10’ from that same side wall to the camera placement, and maybe mount the ronin on a tripod for the duration of the test.  This way we can see exactly how far off the balance is when you return the camera to the centerline on your wall.
2018-12-8
Use props
proctorvision
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Mabou2 Posted at 12-8 07:10
Hi Chris.  You made an incredible video to illustrate the problem.  That said, I want to make a small suggestion to help you should you decide to do a test like this again.  There are two small issues with your video that diminish the results of your findings.  The warping of your lens makes it more difficult to see the tilt because straight lines near the top and bottom of the frame have an arc.  Maybe next time use at least a 50mm lens.  but the biggest issue is that (at times) you end up not looking straight at the wall, you are looking down the wall, which gives all of your lines a parallax distortion.  Next time, measure a distance from a side wall, let’s say 10’ and place a vertical marker on the wall and a horizontal marker to make a cross.   Then measure 10’ from that same side wall to the camera placement, and maybe mount the ronin on a tripod for the duration of the test.  This way we can see exactly how far off the balance is when you return the camera to the centerline on your wall.

Hi Mabou,

Thank you for the input and taking the time to watch the video. I agree looking back that there were some things I could have done to make it more exact. I understand there is inherently some lens warping with the wide angle but when I use the Ronin-M with the same lens and camera as shown at the end of the video I don't have any problems. I am hoping to have answers soon from DJI once they have a look at the unit.

Thanks again
2018-12-9
Use props
Oliprudo
lvl.1
Canada

I have the same issue using a Sony A7 III. Even if I install the last firmware (2019-11-29) and restore and rebalance my setup. The ronin still leans to the left.
This issue came 2 monts after using it and after the 2018-11-30 firmware update, maybe a coincidence.
It's very frustrating.
If someone already had and solved this issue, please let me know.

Thanks
2019-1-5
Use props
Oliprudo
lvl.1
Canada

I downgrade to the first firmware version (2018-05-29) and the issue dissapear.
Then I re-install the last firmware version (2019-11-29) and the issue re-appear.

It seem to be a firmware issue. Could you test this?
2019-1-5
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

proctorvision Posted at 2018-12-9 11:17
Hi Mabou,

Thank you for the input and taking the time to watch the video. I agree looking back that there were some things I could have done to make it more exact. I understand there is inherently some lens warping with the wide angle but when I use the Ronin-M with the same lens and camera as shown at the end of the video I don't have any problems. I am hoping to have answers soon from DJI once they have a look at the unit.

Hi Proctorvision, whatever came of DJI reviewing the issue on your Ronin-s?  Please share.  Thanks buddy.
2019-1-18
Use props
djiuser_vEosLhlyLQcQ
New
United States

At least for me I spent an hour trying to figure out the horizontal level issue from the camera display and what it ended up being was the slop in the speed booster I was using since I connect the gimbal to the speed booster.  By turning the camera body separately I was able to achieve the correct horizontal level. See pics below.
2019-2-11
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68555177 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm having the same problem with Sony A7Sii and Laowa 12mm or Sony/Zeiss 16-35.  All are perfectly balanced and show that during balance test but camera seems to always be slightly off on the horizon.  I've tried everything I know to do, rebalanced/remounted camera, auto tune motors multiple times, calibrate gimbal etc,.  nothing seems to fix it.  Any suggestions?
2019-3-29
Use props
passthemeat0
lvl.1
United States

I have the same issue. Very frustrating. I shot a 50 min. video the other day and had to go through my clip to manually adjust horizons at certain points. I was off a lot of the time by 2-3 degrees tilting down to the left. I updated my firmware to the latest a couple weeks ago.
2019-4-8
Use props
passthemeat0
lvl.1
United States

proctorvision Posted at 2018-12-9 11:17
Hi Mabou,

Thank you for the input and taking the time to watch the video. I agree looking back that there were some things I could have done to make it more exact. I understand there is inherently some lens warping with the wide angle but when I use the Ronin-M with the same lens and camera as shown at the end of the video I don't have any problems. I am hoping to have answers soon from DJI once they have a look at the unit.

Chris,

Any update?
2019-4-8
Use props
fans64e86e46
New
Russia

Bought it 2 days ago, and I have same problem... Help!!!
Why admins are not helping?!
2019-4-15
Use props
Jeff Tabb
New

United States

Having the same issue. Helppppp
2019-4-21
Use props
raincloud
New
United States

Im having the same issue! ahggggggg driving me crazy!
2019-4-26
Use props
djiuser_YIK8eVzzNjq1
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi there,

I have the same problem and I still didn’t find the solution. My setup is a Ronin-s with Canon 80D, so there is not a usb cable connecting them.

I’m sure it is a firmware problem and it could be great if in the next update where an option in the APP to correct the starting point axis, so once we press the trigger to recentre, the gimbal goes to the axis we preset earlier.
image.jpg
2019-5-13
Use props
djiuser_pCvZUUByc1Jf
New

Denmark

Great video.
I have the same problem.

Have you found a solution ?

- Julius
2019-5-17
Use props
Capt. Bob
lvl.1
United States

Same issue for me.  Loses horizontal level, but perfectly balanced.
2019-5-19
Use props
Capt. Bob
lvl.1
United States

FYI I've backed out to firmware V1.1.0.0 of 2018.05.29 and the problem wasn't there it seems.  
2019-5-19
Use props
razbo21
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36535 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

proctorvision Posted at 2018-11-1 15:24
The green level line on the GH5 is losing level because the Ronin is not holding the camera level. I doubt it is only a GH5 issue unless it is something with the way the GH5 itself is weighted that is causing the Ronin to horizontal drift.

Has this been sorted for you, i am having the same problem too
2019-6-25
Use props
razbo21
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36535 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Having issues too with the horizon level

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... 5k/view?usp=sharing
2019-6-25
Use props
Ranieri Cassuola
lvl.2

United States

Hi there,
Any updates on this, I have the same problem.

Thank you
2019-8-5
Use props
doctorpablo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 97418 ft
Italy

I also have the same problem but on Ronin SC!
Solutions?
2019-8-8
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 406076 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same here while using the 80D or the EOS M3.  I did upgrade yesterday to latest, and still same issue.  Admins, we need some tech support here please.
2019-8-8
Use props
fanse0c42c2f
lvl.2
United States

I'm having the same problem and with the same exact setup, using a GH5 or my GH5s plugged in via the usbc cable or not getting the same tilt, I found in post its off -1 rotation in premiere in which i end up fixing and having to make sure that every time use it to get it as level as possible to mitigate the issue. WE need a solution!
2019-8-8
Use props
jmphilms
lvl.2
United States

Any solution to this yet??
2019-8-20
Use props
Noam Sonicsmith
New
United States

Same problem here!

I'm using Nikon D5600 with battery pack and a heavy lens and I thought it's my fault.
I'm not even sure how you can download and install an older firmware like some here suggested.
Plus if the problem started with older filrmwere, that kind of contradicts this reverting solution isn't it?

Ronin, please help!
2019-8-20
Use props
djiuser_fCK1HkzJvkb0
New
Spain

proctorvision Posted at 2018-11-1 15:24

I am having this issue on a sony A7III and its exagerated up a mountain at over 3000mtrs above sea the ronin s looked like it was on a boat as I turn in a 360deg circle the horizon level goes all over the place but can be recentered eventually.
2019-8-23
Use props
fans4d2262b2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35335 ft
United States

Anyone have an answer yet?
2019-8-27
Use props
fans4d2262b2
lvl.1
United States

I’m having the same problem and I’ve searched the inter webs and keep coming back to this forum. It seems like this is happening to a lot of people’s Ronin S. My gimbal is balanced correctly the motors seem to be working correctly, roll axis is turned off on all user profiles but when I pan the gimbal, it tilts on its roll axis, losing the horizon level. This just up and started happening on a shoot. No firmware updates since I started using it.  It just started doing this. Has anyone. Anyone at all, found out more information about this problem. Please please please someone have an update to this unfortunate Situation.
2019-8-27
Use props
fans4d2262b2
lvl.1
United States

Anyone find a solution? Or is the just gonna keep being ignored. I use the Ronin-s every weekend. Sometime 4 times a week on wedding shoots. I can’t just send it back to DJI without knowing if it’s just gonna come back the same. There are many other posts of customers sending their ronin in and getting them back exactly the same. What is the issue here? A gimbal is supposed to keep the horizon level when panning. That’s the point. It’s very frustrating that I’m not even getting a response by the admins. Is my ronin defected? Is this just something that happens to a certain amount of ronin s’. I was with a shooter yesterday who has been using his ronin s for about a year and it’s working perfectly. He couldn’t figure out what was going on with mine either. I, as well as other owners would like some answers. Oh, it’s also not returning to it’s center point anymore. And yes, I’ve adjusted the joint angle. That. Does. Nothing.  I’m very very frustrated.
2019-8-31
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules