Part Specifications-External Battery Extender...?
2828 9 2018-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm looking for a description/spec of the connector/receptical on the end of the Osmo External Battery Extender (aka Part 49).
This is the 'female' end of the plug that would normally connect to one of the DJI chargers (as in the spec on their Store page), or, using another (purchased) cable to a drone battery.

This connection is NOT the standard power connection used in hundreds of chargers and power bricks.  I would like to purchase a converter cable that allows me to use other powerbanks.  I do not want to purchase another DJI powerbrick just to use the Extender.

Admin... what is the spec and description of the connector on this accessory?

2018-10-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Not to sure if this is what your looking for. If it’s not ignore.

https://m.dji.com/product/osmo-e ... r-for-mavic-battery
2018-12-1
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-1 16:15
Not to sure if this is what your looking for. If it’s not ignore.

https://m.dji.com/product/osmo-external-battery-extender-for-mavic-battery

Thanks.  You're close, but not quite :-)
The combined screen shot below shows one of the items I have, the External Battery Extender (hard to find in DJI's online, but I found it through a retailer).  Anyhow the "female" connector (circled "B") is larger than the normal 5.5mm power connection (usually found in commercial power bricks, etc.)  It is larger and as such you can't use a standard male power connection.  In the lower half of the screen shot is the Power Adapter that DOES have the larger connector "A" (male).  I'm looking for a description of the size of that connector.  
What I'm trying to accomplish is using a Mavic Pro battery to power both the Osmo handle AND the phone/monitor control.  I have an adapter that connects to the Pro Battery that has two USB ports allowing me to draw for both from one battery.   I want to be able to use a USB-to-Male Power connector to connect to the Battery Extender.  

Clear as fog, eh?  :-)

Sample.png
2018-12-1
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Here's the Mavic Pro Adapter to which I referred in the previous post.  Point is, if I know what size the connector is, I can purchase a cable, USB-to-Power connection.  Saves having two separate power sources.
Power Bank Adapter-Pro.png
2018-12-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

WebParrot Posted at 12-1 18:39
Here's the Mavic Pro Adapter to which I referred in the previous post.  Point is, if I know what size the connector is, I can purchase a cable, USB-to-Power connection.  Saves having two separate power sources.

Have you checked that voltages are compatible?

You might get close to find need jack by measuring outside diameter of "A" plug.  Generally, plugs & jacks are referenced in mm (milimeters).  Issue is what size is inside of "A".  You need a wire-gauge set of drill bits to get inside diameter, using non-fluted (aka chuck end).

For what it is worth, the jack does not have to be a perfect fit.  As long as "A" plug will slip inside jack and make electrical contact.  Been down this road before.
2018-12-1
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-1 19:35
Have you checked that voltages are compatible?

You might get close to find need jack by measuring outside diameter of "A" plug.  Generally, plugs & jacks are referenced in mm (milimeters).  Issue is what size is inside of "A".  You need a wire-gauge set of drill bits to get inside diameter, using non-fluted (aka chuck end).

Below is an image of the specs for the Osmo Battery, the Mavic Pro Power adapter, and the Osmo Power Cable (shown in my post #3).  Voltages of the battery and power cable are both 11.1V and the Adapter accepts a range of 9-20V.  

I couldn't find and power demand/consumption specs on the Osmo. So I drew the conclusion that since the "Cable" provides a current output of 1.5A, the power source (the MP battery & adapter) at 2.0A would be sufficient.  I realize this could be a flawed assumption :-) but it was something to start with.  

Thanks for the suggestion to measure the diameters; completely fogged-over.  I borrowed a metric caliper and measured the OD of another connector cable @ 7.36mm.  The ID of the Extender is 7.35.  [FWIW, I purchased a 10pin-a cable that is used to connect a Phantom 4 battery to the Extender]

Any other thoughts you have are welcomed, especially on the power cycle info.
Power Batt-Bank-Cable.png
2018-12-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

If you are trying to take output (which is USB) from Mavic Pro Battery to Power Bank Adaptor to feed into Jack (that excepts 'A') of Osmo External Battery Extender -

The problem is Mavic Pro Battery to Power Bank Adaptor output voltage is limited to 5-volts (USB Connectors).
And the Osmo External Battery Extender requires minimum of 12-volts input (round Jack that accepts plug 'A').
2018-12-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

WebParrot Posted at 12-2 06:27
Below is an image of the specs for the Osmo Battery, the Mavic Pro Power adapter, and the Osmo Power Cable (shown in my post #3).  Voltages of the battery and power cable are both 11.1V and the Adapter accepts a range of 9-20V.  

I couldn't find and power demand/consumption specs on the Osmo. So I drew the conclusion that since the "Cable" provides a current output of 1.5A, the power source (the MP battery & adapter) at 2.0A would be sufficient.  I realize this could be a flawed assumption :-) but it was something to start with.  

I use P4 battery to power Osmo it works fine once you have the adapter, I have also used Mavic Pro battery and connector with no problems what so ever.
2018-12-2
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-2 06:52
If you are trying to take output (which is USB) from Mavic Pro Battery to Power Bank Adaptor to feed into Jack (that excepts 'A') of Osmo External Battery Extender -

The problem is Mavic Pro Battery to Power Bank Adaptor output voltage is limited to 5-volts (USB Connectors).

I see the problem.  Unless the Power Bank Adaptor could produce higher voltage there's not enough juice to operate.   Thanks.  I definitely failed to look at that... probably my ignorance to the voltage/amperage relationship to demand makes that obvious.... Thanks for the information and saving me some more time.  
2018-12-2
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-2 14:33
I use P4 battery to power Osmo it works fine once you have the adapter, I have also used Mavic Pro battery and connector with no problems what so ever.

Got it.  I have the Mavic Pro Battery extender, too.  My questions were directed at a way to use a single source of power for both my phone and the Osmo.  Now, in order to video an extended time lapse I have to use both the Mavic Pro battery and a separate power bank for the phone.  I was hoping (as has become obvious !) to be able to use the MP battery for both... Thanks for participating in the conversation.... All helpful.  
2018-12-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules