Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ronin S gimbal goes limp with HDMI and USB C Cable
4636 8 2018-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Deanopeps
lvl.3
Flight distance : 233474 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all,

When I plug a Monitor (Ninja V) via HDMI to my GH5 and then the USB C from the GH5 to the Ronis S i have been exeriencing the gimbal going limp after a few minutes. The only way to overcome this is to turn off the Ronin S and start over.

So now i dont plug in the USB C at all and only record from the Monitor as a) i want to see what i am recording better than the GH5 screen as you cant have both (GH5 issue i think????) b) i want to record 10 bit 422 on the Ninja V c) I dont want the gimbal to go crazy as some have reported with HDMI and USB C plugged in d) With both the HDMI and USB C plugged in and starting the recording from the Ronin S when on 10 bit, the recording stops after about 10 secs.

DJI so far have said dont plug an HDMI Monitor in !

All rather embarrasing when on a filming job!

I think we need a major update on the Ronin S please DJI ASAP!
2018-10-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Deanopeps, we are so sorry for the unpleasant experience with our product, we have been aware of this and will get it optimized in the future firmware, thanks for your patience and sorry again for the inconvenience caused to your job.
2018-10-28
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Dean, yep, the only option right now is to disconnect the USB cable.  You will still have a fully functioning gimbal, but will lack the convenience of being able to control focus and start/stop recording with the controls on the Ronin-s.  But from my experience, I have not had a single problem with my Ronin & GH5s connection as long as I don't have the USB cable connected.
2018-10-29
Use props
bob_angie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321519 ft
United States

Hello sir,

The issue you're experiencing has been replicated by the DJI engineers and will be addressed in a future firmware update, HOWEVER, the ability to use the Ronin-S via USB-C and an external monitor via HDMI will always result in the LCD on the camera going black. This is due to a limitation of the GH5 and GH5s in tether(pc) mode.

In order to operate the camera + gimbal optimally in your situation, I would recommend using this cable https://store.dji.com/product/ro ... cable-for-panasonic

This cable will allow you to Start/Stop the camera AND have an external monitor AND keep the LCD on the back of the camera on, the caveat being you lose the ability to control focus electronically through the focus wheel. This is due to the fact that cable controls the camera through the 2.5mm remote port on the right of the camera, rather than the USB-C port.

This cable will also bypass the motors going limp bug you're currently experiencing, as the camera will not be in tether(pc) mode.

I know it's not a perfect solution, hell, even when they fix the limp bug the LCD screen on the camera will still be black. But at least this gives you options.

good luck.
2018-10-29
Use props
Deanopeps
lvl.3
Flight distance : 233474 ft
United Kingdom

bob_angie Posted at 2018-10-29 10:23
Hello sir,

The issue you're experiencing has been replicated by the DJI engineers and will be addressed in a future firmware update, HOWEVER, the ability to use the Ronin-S via USB-C and an external monitor via HDMI will always result in the LCD on the camera going black. This is due to a limitation of the GH5 and GH5s in tether(pc) mode.

Hi,

That is certainly a better option than i have now and for £7 is a no brainer. Trouble is cant get one. Will keep looking
2018-10-29
Use props
bob_angie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321519 ft
United States

Deanopeps Posted at 2018-10-29 10:32
Hi,

That is certainly a better option than i have now and for £7 is a no brainer. Trouble is cant get one. Will keep looking

If you can't get one shipped through conventional methods, I would be open to arranging to buy one and shipping it to you directly. They're available to me through DJI's website, but I purchased mine through Amazon, though the seller is no longer available.

Hopefully, you get one, I'm enjoying using the Ronin-S now more than ever. Will still be nice when the bug is fixed and I get electronic focusing back, but having both screens on is a nice bonus. I might just continue using this cable once the bug is fixed depending on the shoot conditions.

PM me if you want to talk about getting you that cable.
2018-10-29
Use props
djiuser_gHqsaYeap6p1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46027 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Hi!
I am unable to use the followfocus in same time with the Atomos Ninja V monitor on the Nikon Z6. When the usb-c cable is connected to the Ronin S and Z6, the Ninja V monitor doesn't receuve any signal. But maybe its a problem with the Nikon. Just wondering if this is something that can be fixed or not.

2019-5-14
Use props
lauristephane
lvl.2
  • >>>
Finland

djiuser_gHqsaYeap6p1 Posted at 2019-5-14 10:30
Hi!
I am unable to use the followfocus in same time with the Atomos Ninja V monitor on the Nikon Z6. When the usb-c cable is connected to the Ronin S and Z6, the Ninja V monitor doesn't receuve any signal. But maybe its a problem with the Nikon. Just wondering if this is something that can be fixed or not.

Hi! (again)
Actually everything works as it needs, but only when recording on 1080p. When switching to 2160p (4k) my Nikon Z6 wont record.

Lauri
2020-12-4
Use props
lauristephane
lvl.2
  • >>>
Finland

lauristephane Posted at 12-4 23:53
Hi! (again)
Actually everything works as it needs, but only when recording on 1080p. When switching to 2160p (4k) my Nikon Z6 wont record.

Hmph wrong thread, sorry
2020-12-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules