Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
My first “Oh, Crap!” Moment
868 8 2018-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Arnie R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80958 ft
United States

Today I was making some flights around a small lake at my parent’s home in Florida and taking some video. I have been doing this for a couple of weeks now without any major issues. Anyway, on my last flight, I observed on my iPhone that the video seemed to suddenly jerk and the Spark started  to spin and drop. Admittedly, the wind was borderline on the ground and may have been more severe up higher.  Next, it appeared to drop as if totally out of control and the spinning got worse.  Then, it stabilized and came down down in a more controlled fashion until it landed.  I really could not see the Spark at the time as it was directly above me and the sky was very bright due to the sun.  After it landed, I noticed that one of the prop guards had lost its landing leg, as if it had been snapped off.  Knowing the kind of avian creatures of various sizes in this area, I am wondering if it may have been struck by one of them, which started the tumbling, and breaking a leg off. Who knows, maybe the wind did it.
Just a comment for the heck of it.   
2018-10-29
Use props
connorsfilms
lvl.3
Flight distance : 57303 ft
United States

Yikes!!  My scariest moment was when I had just launched over the water, and I was watching the drone, not the screen.  So when I tried to go right, the drone went left since I didn't pay attention to what I was doing.  It hit a tree and was probably about 5 feet from hitting the water.   
2018-10-29
Use props
Laz22
lvl.3
Flight distance : 63307 ft
United States

If it was hit by something mid flight strong enough to snap a landing gear off its pretty lucky the Spark was able to recover at all.
2018-10-30
Use props
Tentoes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

YIKES!

I'm guessing the crash-landing broke the leg.
2018-10-30
Use props
Arnie R
lvl.4
United States

Tentoes Posted at 2018-10-30 04:37
YIKES!

I'm guessing the crash-landing broke the leg.

No, it did recover somewhere on its initial drop and I was able to land it safely. The landing gear leg was just gone when it finally landed.
2018-10-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi Arnie R. Thank you for sharing that scary experience with your DJI Spark on this forum. May I know beside the propeller guard's landing leg did the incident damage any other parts of the drone?
2018-10-30
Use props
Arnie R
lvl.4
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-10-30 07:50
Hi Arnie R. Thank you for sharing that scary experience with your DJI Spark on this forum. May I know beside the propeller guard's landing leg did the incident damage any other parts of the drone?

No, Sir. That was the part that struck me as odd. The Spark took off with all its parts and after the incident, was brought down otherwise intact minus the one leg. The gray plastic of the component showed a whitish color at the point where it was broken off very much like when you twist or break a dark colored piece of plastic. Maybe it was just a tiny meteorite strike - haha!  
2018-10-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Arnie R Posted at 2018-10-30 15:09
No, Sir. That was the part that struck me as odd. The Spark took off with all its parts and after the incident, was brought down otherwise intact minus the one leg. The gray plastic of the component showed a whitish color at the point where it was broken off very much like when you twist or break a dark colored piece of plastic. Maybe it was just a tiny meteorite strike - haha!

Thank you for that additional information. If you have any other concerns regarding your DJI Spark. Don't hesitate to post it here. We are here and glad to help you.
2018-10-30
Use props
H. Arif - Nobody
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430364 ft
Canada

Ohh, I've had multiple ones. First one was when I lost battery 18m up mid-flight in a corn field, second was when my first spark lost connection around a 100m tall building and the spark hit it, had to buy a new one after that. Another time, I almost lost battery over a lake and under-estimated the distance and came back at 1%, Another time, I lost connection as I was recording for cancer research and and my school principal asked me to do so. Lost connection that day and DJi offered me 50% another one, don't know if I'll take it though. Thanks for reading.
2018-10-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules