Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OTG Cable
7268 31 2018-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
connorsfilms
lvl.3
Flight distance : 57303 ft
United States

What exactly are OTG Cables?  Are they the two cables I recieved in my original Spark purchase?  Do they make them for iOS devices?  Would appreciate some info on the matter.
2018-10-29
Use props
Ronnie.Choy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1261211 ft
Singapore

Those cables you received in the box are not OTG cables. If you are using iOS devices, the cables should look like the one in the pic. Or you can get a connector to convert your usual flash connector cable into an OTG cable.
F7B41736-0C14-406E-BBB9-D71ABB2EC34A.jpeg
CC2EFCFC-D196-4419-B48B-590A8B89AAB8.jpeg
2018-10-29
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

OTG stands for "On The Go" and comes from the Android world.  It differs from a charging-only cable as it is wired to also transfer data.  Not necessary on an iOS device because all cables for those are already power AND data.  Please perform a [search] on this forum using "OTG" and you'll find countless posts and threads extoling the virtues and benefits of OTG when used with various devices and the Spark.
2018-10-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi Connorsfilms. Thank you for the inquiry. The OTG allows USB devices, such as tablets or smartphones, to act as a host, allowing other USB devices, such as USB flash drives, digital cameras, mice or keyboards, to be attached to them. For additional reference, I will be providing you an official DJI link where you can get additional information about the DJI Goggles Micro USB OTG Cable https://store.dji.com/product/dj ... -v2&position=0.

2018-10-30
Use props
Mhinc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 151467 ft
Canada

For the record, it's highly recommended you do use OTG vs WIFI connection from your device to your remote. It will give you a VERY stable, reliable connection.
2018-11-6
Use props
Theos2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4760 ft
United States

Ronnie.Choy Posted at 10-29 17:56
Those cables you received in the box are not OTG cables. If you are using iOS devices, the cables should look like the one in the pic. Or you can get a connector to convert your usual flash connector cable into an OTG cable.

My spark came with 2 black cables that are in fact OTG cables.  Once the Spark is linked to the RC, I then ran the wire to my OnePlus 6 Android, which prompted me with do I want to run the DJI app every time this device connects to the phone, and then went straight into "GoFly" in the app.  I did not have to connect my phone to the RC with the RC wifi.

It may be that DJI is now including these cables in the box.
2018-11-6
Use props
SAADHERO
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2269905 ft
Kuwait

I Never Fly Without my OTG
as it Helps Lower interference and make the phone + Controller Link Stronger and wont cut out due to Wifi
2018-11-6
Use props
connorsfilms
lvl.3
Flight distance : 57303 ft
United States

After hearing everyone’s suggestions, I think I should start using the OTG cables.  Could someone link me to a iOS OTG Cable.  (iPhone 8)
2018-11-6
Use props
Tentoes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

OTG: Don't fly without it.
2018-11-6
Use props
Badowen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1938461 ft
United States

Mhinc Posted at 11-6 01:26
For the record, it's highly recommended you do use OTG vs WIFI connection from your device to your remote. It will give you a VERY stable, reliable connection.

Seen alot of videos that have confirmed that, one guy took his DJI spark out past the 1.88 mile mark and was STILL getting video and it was smooth.
2018-11-6
Use props
Badowen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1938461 ft
United States

2018-11-6
Use props
Tentoes
Second Officer
United States

I got one from ebay for a dollar. Here's one at Wal*Mart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Inste ... e-M7-M8-M9/28880525

It plugs into the remote and lets you plug a regular cable for your android or iPhone. I've used it with both.

iPhone complains "Unsupported device." Just click that away as Go4 knows what the remote is.

Don't fly without it.
2018-11-7
Use props
Jezmo
lvl.4
United States

After using my first inexpensive cable for a short while it stopped working due to IOS not recognizing it. I purchased another one, this time an Apple certified one, that never gave me the unsupported device message and that one has worked fine for over a year now. I learned my lesson and buy the certified products only now.
2018-11-7
Use props
SAADHERO
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2269905 ft
Kuwait

connorsfilms Posted at 11-6 11:43
After hearing everyone’s suggestions, I think I should start using the OTG cables.  Could someone link me to a iOS OTG Cable.  (iPhone 8)

I Got Mine From DJi Store in my Country but you should find in amazon the micro usb to female usb then just plus in any normal usb in the adapter to ur phone but use short cable makes it less annoying
2018-11-7
Use props
JasonCebu
New

Philippines

Theos2 Posted at 2018-11-6 11:14
My spark came with 2 black cables that are in fact OTG cables.  Once the Spark is linked to the RC, I then ran the wire to my OnePlus 6 Android, which prompted me with do I want to run the DJI app every time this device connects to the phone, and then went straight into "GoFly" in the app.  I did not have to connect my phone to the RC with the RC wifi.

It may be that DJI is now including these cables in the box.

What's the second cable for?
2019-8-23
Use props
JasonCebu
New

Philippines

I also got two cables. One for android, and the other I don't know but it won't fit the iPhone.
2019-8-23
Use props
JasonCebu
New

Philippines

I also got two cables. One for android, and the other I don't know but it won't fit the iPhone. Why didn't DJI just provide one for Android and one for iPhone?
IMG_2248.jpg
2019-8-23
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

JasonCebu Posted at 8-23 19:18
I also got two cables. One for android, and the other I don't know but it won't fit the iPhone. Why didn't DJI just provide one for Android and one for iPhone?

That has a simple reason:

DJI does not official support OTG for the Spark connected to an iOS Device   
(never the less, mostly it works, afaik)

Micro to Micro
Micro to USB-C

The last cable you showed is for the newer generation/top models of the android world!

2019-8-24
Use props
KingFisher10
New

Australia

Anyone try an OTG cable with a Samsung Galaxy 10 5G? Works fine on a wireless connection, but the phone doesn't seem to recognize the controller when plugged in with an OTG cable.
2019-8-26
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

KingFisher10 Posted at 8-26 19:01
Anyone try an OTG cable with a Samsung Galaxy 10 5G? Works fine on a wireless connection, but the phone doesn't seem to recognize the controller when plugged in with an OTG cable.

Is the RC charging the phone or the phone charging the RC?

2019-8-26
Use props
KingFisher10
New

Australia

The Phone is charging the RC.
2019-8-26
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

WebParrot Posted at 2018-10-30 04:34
OTG stands for "On The Go" and comes from the Android world.  It differs from a charging-only cable as it is wired to also transfer data.  Not necessary on an iOS device because all cables for those are already power AND data.  Please perform a [search] on this forum using "OTG" and you'll find countless posts and threads extoling the virtues and benefits of OTG when used with various devices and the Spark.

I thought it means Over The Ground like OTA = Over The Air
2019-8-26
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

KingFisher10 Posted at 8-26 23:24
The Phone is charging the RC.

So you have a USB-C to micro USB-OTG cable
But you need one, that is micro to USB-C

The RC is the host, in this case, the phone the "USB-Stick", so to speak, the host has to deliver the needed power!
2019-8-27
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>

AntDX316 Posted at 8-26 23:35
I thought it means Over The Ground like OTA = Over The Air

Search "What is an OTG Cable" and get =>.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/wh ... l-ways-use-android/   (second paragraph)

On-The-Go
2019-9-13
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>

WebParrot Posted at 9-13 06:55
Search "What is an OTG Cable" and get =>.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/wh ... l-ways-use-android/   (second paragraph)

Over the Ground
2019-9-13
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>

Did you bother to look at the link?
2019-10-12
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>

WebParrot Posted at 10-12 19:19
Did you bother to look at the link?

What about OTA?
2019-10-12
Use props
Cookster670
lvl.4

I get about 300m video range with wireless.  I have got 1.2km+ with OTG and today hit 1K before coming back.
2019-10-13
Use props
Cookster670
lvl.4

I also did this video on the differences in lag between OTG and Wireless.

2019-10-13
Use props
MKPSG12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341073 ft

I've found using one with my Iphone makes no difference at all.

Video is better when i use my Android though, plus it allows the drone to use both wif-fi bands (the iphone can do this without the cable)
2019-10-15
Use props
Tentoes
Second Officer

A micro USB cable has 5 connectors. USB usually has 4. The 5th is used to switch a device that is usually a slave to a master.

You want the "OTG" end to plug into the remote so it will switch to master mode. This is why the phone gets charged from the remote.

Kingfisher: Try turning the cable around. You have the phone as the master, you want the remote to be the master and charge the phone.

Jason Cebu: That's the newer "Type C" usb connector. Plugs either way and has an improved design for the contacts. The socket on the device shouldn't go bad like a micro usb does.

For what phones and devices work well with GO4, see: https://www.phantomhelp.com/tips ... go-updated-daily.18  I printed this out and took it to the phone store.
2019-10-15
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I don't understand the relevance of OTA.  Conversation and clarification for the OP is with regard to OTG cable.
2019-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules