356 3 2018-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

I read this comment from another forum member concerning the supposedly inferiour quality of the lens glass on the M2P.  "DJI uses a cheap UV Filter  (totally uncoated glass) in front, so the effect of super multicoated lens is nearly totally gone"!

My first question: is the original glass really totally uncoated?

So; if this is true, could someone recommend a replacement (filter) that I could install that can be kept on all the time (if I chose) that would be an upgrade to the orginal glass on the mavic 2?  I know that there are kits that consist of ND4, 6 and 8 and so forth, but would the ND4 be something I could replace the glass with on a permanent measure?  I think not, so maybe you have a suggestion or maybe many of you think that the original glass is just fine.  Would like to learn your responses.  

2018-10-30
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-10-31
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

El Diablo Posted at 2018-10-31 01:37
1st of all, a UV filter is not really necessary in digital capture and it is a reminescent of the film days. However, I do use (EXPENSIVE) UV/clear filters for protecting the front element of all my lenses. Also, there are no filters 8today) without any type of coating (more below).

2nd, coatings are mainly influencing 3 different factors: Flare, Water & Oil. In real life applications, a good AR coating will help to minimize flares under some specific conditions. On the other hand, a filter on top of a lens element might cause light to bounce around, often creating itself flares and ghosting. I have good filters with simple coatings (B+W) and the diffrence with their MRC (Multi Coating) is minimal.

Very well explained so even a non-professional like me can understand it.  I follow many of your responses and posts El Diablo and have gained a lot of information from your knowledge.  Thanks for taking the time out to assist me and others with our questions.  
2018-10-31
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-10-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules