Do you use gimbal protection?
3353 22 2015-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

Do you use anything to protect your gimbal and the ribbon cable?
I have been thinking about this and found these and items like them.
Do you use either type? Which do you think is better?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gimbal-S ... -Fix-/281709108623?
http://www.uavbits.net/store/p10/Inertia_Guard.html
2015-6-2
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

I did on my Phantom 2V+ (UAVBits) and it saved me, no doubt.  Don't have one on my P3A (yet)
2015-6-2
Use props
PhantomHelp.com
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here's another alternative:

Phantom Fix: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/71 ... 2099&mtid=824&kw=lg

FYI, I don't know if the above Inertia Guard works with the Phantom 3. It was originally designed for the P2V+.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-2
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

PhantomHelp.com Posted at 2015-6-2 23:54

Phantom Fix: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3 ...

Thanks for the heads up on the Inertia Guard. I didn't notice it wasn't P3. I am looking at so many pages about guards and stuff that it's overwhelming. LOL
2015-6-2
Use props
PhantomHelp.com
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The other two above are solid choices though. The Killer RC Gimbal Saver has a better fit and finish, but the Phantom Fix will protect just as well. You cannot go wrong with either of those choices.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-2
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

See taking stuff apart is a bad thing for me. I either never get it back together right or I end up with "extra" parts. lol
2015-6-2
Use props
oakden
lvl.1

United States

Just wanted to add my thoughts on Phantom Fix.  Sold under the name mcmac1943 on eBay.

I purchased the fix and I was happy with the product. In my review I wrote that I did not get the gimbal ties as it said in the description.  The review was still positive, not negative. This is the response I received:

"I think you could have let me know you didn't get your two wire ties before you leave that feedback. I know you must lead a very perfect life. If you had notified me I would have been happy to send you the wire ties at my expense. Now you can go to Home Depot and since they are so valuable maybe you can shoplift them. By the way they are not offered in the description they are mentioned in the instructions. "

My response "
2015-6-2
Use props
oakden
lvl.1

United States

This is how you write to a customer? A person that has bought your products and could potentially buy from you in the future?

I think if you are providing a product you would make sure that everything is included. That is YOUR responsibility in this process. I purchased the product and paid immediately, I fulfilled my end of the bargain.

I guess I will just go back to my "perfect life" and let people know how I feel about your service and suggest that they do not deal with you.

Then to top it all off I got this in response:

I would just as soon anyone who would listen to anything you have to say never buy the product.

What great customer service. The reviews on eBay have also talk about being treated rudely. Just take a look at his snarky remarks to people's reviews.

Ok. Rant over.
2015-6-2
Use props
bluetazmaster69
lvl.2

United States

I use the phantom fix on my p3.
2015-6-2
Use props
Raul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 348724 ft
Spain

I bought the Killer RC yesterday, waiting for it...
2015-6-3
Use props
jslumar
New

United States

mswall@mac.com Posted at 2015-6-2 23:53
I did on my Phantom 2V+ (UAVBits) and it saved me, no doubt.  Don't have one on my P3A (yet)

What is available for protection?
2015-6-3
Use props
jslumar
New

United States

mswall@mac.com Posted at 2015-6-2 23:53

What is available for protection?
2015-6-3
Use props
giant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31565 ft
Netherlands

PhantomHelp.com Posted at 2015-6-2 23:54

Phantom Fix: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3 ...

As far as I know I got this one with my Phantom 3 Pro. I mount it when the Phantom is not in use.
2015-6-3
Use props
gregetz
lvl.1

Slovenia

Ive taken these things for my P3P, cheap, very light weight and it helps a lot. ALso by the transportation.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/28180829 ... =STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
2015-11-20
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha venom,

A gimbal guard is a must-have for the P3, even if you are the safest flyer.  But first, the ribbon cable is exposed and is the lowest part of the gimbal (where it connects to the camera).  Use a lightweight tape, like 3M Invisible Tape or Magic Tape to cover the exposed ribbon.  The small office variety is just the right width.  If you think you need more robust protection use a thicker tape.  Be sure to clean the metal surface before you affix the tape.  There is also another (easy to find) exposed connection that should be taped.

For a gimbal guard, weight is everything.  You should check with Inertia Guard to see if they make one for the P3.  The price and weight look like the best of all the proposed guards.  (The Plexiglass technology they use is very easy to work and each one is probably hand made.)

I have been making gimbal guards out of large, thin paper clips since the P2 Vision+.  The first thing I did with my P3 is make a gimbal guard out of two paper clips.  Again I used Invisible Tape to add security to the design.  It has been on since I got my P3 in August and the tape has not needed to be replaced.  And after a few gimbal warnings on the Flight Check page (it also makes a noise) in August, minor adjustments have made the guard solid, very light-weight protection.  

I realize this paper clip fix is not for everybody, but the tape protection sure is.  Just look at the ribbon connection and the metal around it.  Are there nicks or dirt?  Without the tape, you are asking for ribbon trouble.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-11-20
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2015-11-19 23:57
Aloha venom,

A gimbal guard is a must-have for the P3, even if you are the safest flyer.  But  ...

Aloha,

The tape fix for the ribbon vulnerability on our P3 is an easy fix.  Here is a photo of how it is used.  You might also be able to see my paper clip gimbal guard.
Aloha and Drone On!
Tape.jpg
Tape.jpg
2015-11-20
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

venomx15301 Posted at 2015-6-2 13:11
See taking stuff apart is a bad thing for me. I either never get it back together right or I end up  ...

The gimbal guard I have on my P3P attaches with a couple of tie wraps. Thus far I've never had it crash or land hard enough to make a difference, but it does make me feel safer.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-11-20
Use props
RATTYDUDE77
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

they sell them on shapways to
2016-4-10
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

Cetaman Posted at 2015-11-20 21:19
Aloha,

The tape fix for the ribbon vulnerability on our P3 is an easy fix.  Here is a photo o ...

Hey Cetaman.

Great ideas....,

Just wanted to know if you were aware the back right damper rubber was missing. (or was it intentional)

cheers.
[EDIT : Just looked carefully again..... Its Not   , but looks like it is... Sorry, Ill use glasses next time]

2016-4-10
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Australia

Cetaman Posted at 2015-11-20 21:19
Aloha,

The tape fix for the ribbon vulnerability on our P3 is an easy fix.  Here is a photo o ...

But wait..... Question....,

........What are the white bands/string you have around the arms?
2016-4-10
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-4-10 20:00
But wait..... Question....,

........What are the white bands/string you have around the arms?

Aloha p3p1,

The "strings" are a harness that allow the P3P to spin precisely when doing a compass calibration.  I can also hang the bird from an overhang if needed.  Everything is very light weight.  Did you notice the paper clip preventer to keep the camera from slipping off the gimbal?

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-4-12
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Australia

Cetaman Posted at 2016-4-13 05:18
Aloha p3p1,

The "strings" are a harness that allow the P3P to spin precisely when doing a co ...

> Did you notice the paper clip preventer to keep the camera from slipping off the gimbal?

Ah Yes, Cetaman!!.. I saw the Paper Clip , very clever ....Did you just bend a U shaped clip...,as per attached pic, then stick it using sticky tape?
U-shapedClip.jpg
2016-4-12
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-4-12 20:31
> Did you notice the paper clip preventer to keep the camera from slipping off the gimbal?

Ah Yes, ...

Aloha p3p1,

Yes, for the most part, but the back side has a much sharper curve to it so it can connect to another bent clip that curves around the camera arm where it enters the gimbal on top.  However, I think your design with a broader curve and as you note sticky tape - but really sticky tape - might work and be simpler.  I have had my P3P for 6 months and never had to mess with the preventer, so I have left it alone.  The original was for the P2 Vision + and it really needed one.  But the P3P is slightly too large for just one large paper clip, so I went with the two piece option.

But, your suggestion with just the curve and really sticky tape may be better and slightly lighter.  Be sure that the "hands" that hold the camera from sliding off do not impede the gimbal movement.  The hands should also point to the center of the gimbal pin.  The opening screen will let you know if the gimbal is OK.  Test it while the P3 is off to see if it has the full range of motion and that the storage clip fits.  Good idea for the modification.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules