123Next >
4415 97 2018-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KennyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 674137 ft
United States

All...just stumbled across this the other day. I had seen drone parachute systems before but what is cool about this one is the size and the price. I think it is very affordable and looks like a great solution.

https://parazero.com/

They recently developed a version for smaller drones (supposed to retail for a little more than $300.
https://parazero.com/2018/09/30/parazero-announces-the-first-ever-faa-waiver-for-flight-over-people-with-a-parachute-system/

2018-10-31
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Looks like it would interfere with  gps reception.
2018-10-31
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

There have been various models of these over the years.  One of the problems is they sometimes will open when they shouldn't.  

The other problem is - DJI aircraft are really super reliable and air-worthy provided the pilot knows what he's doing.

I'll pass.

2018-10-31
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

little expensive ... i ll try fly safe instead
2018-10-31
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-10-31 06:56
Looks like it would interfere with  gps reception.

They say it doesn't interfere with the GPS...I thought the same thing when I first saw it.
2018-10-31
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-10-31 08:02
There have been various models of these over the years.  One of the problems is they sometimes will open when they shouldn't.  I'll pass.

I hadn't heard that. Granted that doesn't mean it isn't true. This is the first one I have seen by this manufacturer. Previously they made them for the Mattrice and other larger drones...that would make me think they have had some practice doing these and have less issues...that doesn't mean it is true.

I would only consider using one of these for applications when I was going to be flying over people...really no need otherwise...not in my opinion anyway.
2018-10-31
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Also, there is the issue of how to trigger them in an emergency. I have never seen a plausible answer to this, by the time you realise the aircraft is in trouble and try to trigger the parachute, it will be buried in the ground. And you also need to stop the props before it is triggered otherwise the props will tangle up the parachute lines.
2018-10-31
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KennyB Posted at 2018-10-31 10:01
I hadn't heard that. Granted that doesn't mean it isn't true. This is the first one I have seen by this manufacturer. Previously they made them for the Mattrice and other larger drones...that would make me think they have had some practice doing these and have less issues...that doesn't mean it is true.

I would only consider using one of these for applications when I was going to be flying over people...really no need otherwise...not in my opinion anyway.

It would be interesting to see their demonstration video of one in operation on a P4, but I can't see any links to such.

The Matrice 200 sollution costs $2,500 :-(

And the FAA waiver is to ''fly drones over people with a parachute system'' not just to ''fly over people'', their choice of wording sounds almost too specific.
2018-10-31
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

This shows the mattrice in action and the units for the phantom and mavic
https://youtu.be/hUzPYyV8who
2018-10-31
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

B&H is taking preorders for about $350.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1416005-REG/parazero_pz_sa_2_parazeros_smart_autonomous_recovery.html?ap=y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp7imqImy3gIVDVgNCh0mmwrbEAsYASABEgJJ3PD_BwE&smp=y
2018-10-31
Use props
Ryan Olivas
lvl.4

United States

I really like this idea but the price is quite off. Will wait for it to be cheaper.
2018-10-31
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-10-31 15:58
It would be interesting to see their demonstration video of one in operation on a P4, but I can't see any links to such.

The Matrice 200 sollution costs $2,500 :-(

Ya dont see many people walking about with a parachute on, in every day life
2018-10-31
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

GPS interference ?  Tangled lines ?  Weight ?  Aerodynamics ?
I don't think I would bother !
2018-11-1
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 11-1 00:32
GPS interference ?  Tangled lines ?  Weight ?  Aerodynamics ?
I don't think I would bother !

Take a minute and watch the vids.

Testing shows no GPS Interference   ( Note, there is a plastic cover OVER the GPS unit )

Weight:  100 grms  or 3.57oz
Aerodynamics:  No one is racing these things......in the comercial side anyway.

Auto Deploy as a fall starts, and auto Motor stop designed in......  It's not for everyone, nor is it meant to be.  But if you want a waiver to over fly a parade, or other event.....then you'll need one.

Randy
2018-11-1
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rwynant V1 Posted at 11-1 14:54

Testing shows no GPS Interference   ( Note, there is a plastic cover OVER the GPS unit )

"But if you want a waiver to over fly a parade, or other event.....then you'll need one."

That's the sales pitch they're using. But as I said they are quite specific the first 'waiver for a drone carrying a parachute to fly over people' was issued. Is there any current restriction in Federal Aviation Authority regulations that prohibits USA drone pilots from flying over people ?
2018-11-1
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 10-31 21:05
Ya dont see many people walking about with a parachute on, in every day life

Are you kidding?  Every time I get on a plane, I'm carrying a full back pack.  Yeah, that's right.  I did jump school at 22.

Sure I get some stares.  But who's gonna be laffin' when the plane is screaming towards the surface from thirty thousand feet at mach 2 and I'm already belted in at the emergency exit.  

Coincidence?  I think not.  

I mean, seriously, why take chances?  I know it's gonna happen some day.  And when it does, I'll be ready.  

And just before I leap out, I'll turn to everybody in the aft compartment.  And I'll smile.  
2018-11-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I did say ya dont see many, in every day life, and, i wasnt referring to the mirror ;) plus, i've never seen one, no kidding either, ive led a sheltered life lol
2018-11-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 11-1 15:53
Are you kidding?  Every time I get on a plane, I'm carrying a full back pack.  Yeah, that's right.  I did jump school at 22.

Sure I get some stares.  But who's gonna be laffin' when the plane is screaming towards the surface from thirty thousand feet at mach 2 and I'm already belted in at the emergency exit.  

How do you turn around in an aircraft toilet? Or sit down?
2018-11-1
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

rwynant V1 Posted at 11-1 14:54

I hadn't realized you could get a waiver for overflying.  
2018-11-2
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

Manxmann Posted at 11-2 01:05
I hadn't realized you could get a waiver for overflying.

You can with a drone parachute or so they claim.
2018-11-2
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

Aardvark Posted at 11-1 15:01
"But if you want a waiver to over fly a parade, or other event.....then you'll need one."

That's the sales pitch they're using. But as I said they are quite specific the first 'waiver for a drone carrying a parachute to fly over people' was issued. Is there any current restriction in Federal Aviation Authority regulations that prohibits USA drone pilots from flying over people ?

There are rules, for ... 107 commercial pilots...no flying over people, crowds or events...which this would solve.
2018-11-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KennyB Posted at 11-2 11:39
There are rules, for ... 107 commercial pilots...no flying over people, crowds or events...which this would solve.

Could you apply for, and be granted, a waiver as a 107 pilot to overfly people without one of these parachutes attached ?

I understand your point, and obviously the desire to operate safely. The bit I'm not convinced about is that they seem to suggest you will not get a waiver to fly over crowds at present. And that having one of these will somehow guarantee that privilege. Or at least that's my perception based on their advertising.

Either way the aircraft will land, slower with the chute hopefully :-)

2018-11-2
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 11-1 15:53
Are you kidding?  Every time I get on a plane, I'm carrying a full back pack.  Yeah, that's right.  I did jump school at 22.

Good luck opening the emergency door. You do realize that in a pressurized jet at 30,000 ft, the door would be impossible for a human to open right?
2018-11-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 11-2 12:15
Good luck opening the emergency door. You do realize that in a pressurized jet at 30,000 ft, the door would be impossible for a human to open right?

Don't worry.  I have experience.

2018-11-2
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 11-2 12:41
Don't worry.  I have experience.

[view_image]

You have experience opening pressurized jet emergency doors midflight? Please share how you were able to accomplish this.
2018-11-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 11-2 14:21
You have experience opening pressurized jet emergency doors midflight? Please share how you were able to accomplish this.

2018-11-2
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 11-2 15:24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fhasJlPK6E

The Boeing 727, put into service in 1963, had the distinction of a rear doorway with stairs that could be lowered so that passengers could embark and disembark at rural airports which did not have their own airstairs. As initially designed, this door could be opened even whilst in flight as it is not the usual "plug" style.
In 1971, the hijacker known as DB Cooper famously used the rear door to make his parachute escape mid-flight. According to wikipedia, the CIA also used this feature to drop passengers and supplies mid-flight.

In the wake of the DB Cooper incident and other hijackings, the ... mandated in 1972 that cooper vanes to be installed to prevent the opening of the rear door while in flight.

https://aviation.stackexchange.c ... be-opened-in-flight

So again why don't you share with us, how you would accomplish this.
2018-11-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Haha very good.   I'm a little disappointed.  I had another vid set up ready to go.  

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/e6462644-d848-403e-98f5-1568ab679d06
2018-11-2
Use props
droneusername
lvl.1

United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 11-2 16:02
The Boeing 727, put into service in 1963, had the distinction of a rear doorway with stairs that could be lowered so that passengers could embark and disembark at rural airports which did not have their own airstairs. As initially designed, this door could be opened even whilst in flight as it is not the usual "plug" style.
In 1971, the hijacker known as DB Cooper famously used the rear door to make his parachute escape mid-flight. According to wikipedia, the CIA also used this feature to drop passengers and supplies mid-flight.

Just curious but once the cabin has depressurized won't the door open then?
2018-11-2
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
United States

droneusername Posted at 11-2 17:02
Just curious but once the cabin has depressurized won't the door open then?

Yes if it is depressurized it will open, but how would you get it depressurized, the only way it would depressurize if it was going down, would be if a missile or something poked a hole in the plane. There recently was a plane that had an engine problem and a piece of the engine broke off and smashed one of the windows, sucking a passenger out the window. That plane was not in any danger of crashing though.
2018-11-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 11-2 18:11
Yes if it is depressurized it will open, but how would you get it depressurized, the only way it would depressurize if it was going down, would be if a missile or something poked a hole in the plane. There recently was a plane that had an engine problem and a piece of the engine broke off and smashed one of the windows, sucking a passenger out the window. That plane was not in any danger of crashing though.

It is simple, get the aircraft down to under 17 thousand feet and it does not need to be pressurised.
2018-11-2
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 11-2 18:21
It is simple, get the aircraft down to under 17 thousand feet and it does not need to be pressurised.

How is a passenger supposed to know when they are at 17,000  feet?
2018-11-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 11-2 19:40
How is a passenger supposed to know when they are at 17,000  feet?

Using their pocket altimeter.
2018-11-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

But is it not the pilot that hits the button to depressurise it? ir does it down it automatically, prob auto actually in case the forget lol
2018-11-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Under pressure... ha

RedHotPoker
2018-11-3
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 11-2 22:00
Using their pocket altimeter.

I thought altimeters worked by sensing air pressure...?

Anyway, I think the emergency exits open by bringing the door in.  So yeah, it wouldn't open in a pressurized cabin.

OTOH, the regular exits open by bringing the door out.  

And yes, there's always the shattered window method of exiting.

2018-11-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching the DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this us. Anything that is not DJI approved modifications or accessories, third-party devices that are not supported will not guarantee the integrity of the flights and may void the warranty for service repairs if in any case the aircraft needs to be diagnosed for flight accidents and product malfunctions. We appreciate your continued support to DJI. Have a safe flight. Thank you.
2018-11-4
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-4 05:02
Hi, thanks for reaching the DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this us. Anything that is not DJI approved modifications or accessories, third-party devices that are not supported will not guarantee the integrity of the flights and may void the warranty for service repairs if in any case the aircraft needs to be diagnosed for flight accidents and product malfunctions. We appreciate your continued support to DJI. Have a safe flight. Thank you.

I understand, but that said, DJI doesn't offer a lot of these solutions to help us work around ... flight restrictions/regulations. DJI hasn't created night lights or parachuted in support of their drone users.

If they have please provide me/us with a link and I am sure we will happily look at it, maybe buy and promote it...most of us here own and obviously like/support DJI products...we have to go somewhere else for other products as DJI hasn't provided those.

Happy to have someone correct me and point me in the right direction.
2018-11-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

KennyB Posted at 11-4 16:42
I understand, but that said, DJI doesn't offer a lot of these solutions to help us work around ... flight restrictions/regulations. DJI hasn't created night lights or parachuted in support of their drone users.

If they have please provide me/us with a link and I am sure we will happily look at it, maybe buy and promote it...most of us here own and obviously like/support DJI products...we have to go somewhere else for other products as DJI hasn't provided those.

Quite true, and probably because there is no money in making them or they are no use. Parachute systems have not been big sellers and there are a lot of reason for that. Night lights are also a waste of time when most aviation regulatory bodies prohibit night flights whether you have lights on board or not. Try working with the regulations rather than trying to buck them.
2018-11-4
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Nice one thanks for sharing it
2018-11-4
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules