SafetyNotice2018009.pdf

162.12 KB, Down times: 35

2018-11-1
Use props
Des_B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 129600 ft
United Kingdom

This is really only limiting to the companies or organisations that have addittional authorisations/exemptions to their PFCO. For anyone who does not have such
2018-11-1
Use props
Des_B
lvl.4
United Kingdom

authorisations/exceptions then it is carry on flying as you would normally.

Des

(sorry about the chopped mailing)
2018-11-1
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1488520 ft
United Kingdom

I've read the guidance as that you can't 'overfly people at any height'. This I'm taking it, means even with their permission. This does have a possible direct effect on possible upcoming projects.

I'd like to know when these reports started to see if it's been brought about by a FW update.

I've got 5 sets of TB50's and have had most for about 1.7yrs. Only one has had a bad cell and needs replacing. The rest have been fine.

The FW I'm running is old, from April 2018. I wonder if they won't be effected because the FW hasn't been updated..

Anyway. Let's hope DJI gets this sorted soon. If the CAA have an issue then I bet it won't be long before EASA and the Federal Aviation Administration take notice and implement their own restrictions.
2018-11-1
Use props
Des_B
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The CAA advisory implies the fault is not aircraft firmware related, can`t speak for the battery firmware though.

Other than the IP rating I think there is very little difference between I2 and M200 batteries.

According to the Daily Telegraph newspaper most of the failures  in the UK and notified to the CAA, were from M200 series SUA`s in use with the emergency services.

It isn`t doing DJI`s reputation any good, and they need to sort it quickly.

Somewhere in this, there maybe a salutary lesson for DJI about software testing and reliability.
2018-11-1
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Couldn't agree more.

Unfortunately for DJI it was the UK Police who had an issue with their drone rather than just another customer.

I actually hope that the CAA doesn't view these forums and see all the issues with have with the I2 and other drones.. If they do we might all be flying Freefly in the near future £££
2018-11-1
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4
United Kingdom

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46032019

The BBC news report..
2018-11-1
Use props
Live Tv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8104 ft
Australia

Australia as well  !!

Urgent Safety Message
2 November 2018

Dear RPA operator and/or remote pilot,

Please find attached a Safety Bulletin regarding DJI battery models TB50 and TB55 for your immediate attention.

Sincerely

Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems Branch
Civil Aviation Safety Authority
2018-11-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching the DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this to us. DJI is investigating reports that a small number of TB50 and TB55 batteries have shown incorrect power levels that have led to loss of power mid-flight. Flight safety and product reliability are our top priorities, and we are advising customers to fly with caution when operating their drones equipped with these batteries. In addition, DJI is working on a firmware update that will provide improvements to flight safety for the affected drones. . Read the full article here: https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... batteries-in-drones

Thank you.
2018-11-2
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks very much for the info.

I'm sure we all hope the issue is located and fixed very soon.
2018-11-2
Use props
orion0007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 308642 ft
United States

DJI IDEA OF SOON COULD BE MONTHS VERY SAD
2018-11-2
Use props
BIGDZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10255860 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-2 04:42
Hi, thanks for reaching the DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this to us. DJI is investigating reports that a small number of TB50 and TB55 batteries have shown incorrect power levels that have led to loss of power mid-flight. Flight safety and product reliability are our top priorities, and we are advising customers to fly with caution when operating their drones equipped with these batteries. In addition, DJI is working on a firmware update that will provide improvements to flight safety for the affected drones. . Read the full article here: https://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/dji-advises-customers-to-fly-with-caution-when-using-tb50-and-tb55-batteries-in-drones

Thank you.

Curious does the beta .300 firmware remedy this issue? I’m assuming no but curious nonetheless
2018-11-2
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

This from facebook forum
FB_IMG_1541217405674.jpg
2018-11-2
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Altitude Drones Posted at 11-2 04:58
Thanks very much for the info.

I'm sure we all hope the issue is located and fixed very soon.

Hi, we will try our very best to resolve this issue. We appreciate your patience.
2018-11-3
Use props
GeoffG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810082 ft
United Kingdom

To be clear, are DJI saying that the problem only manifests itself at battery cell voltages <3.7V, or that it is less likely to happen at voltages <3.7V ?   Because there is a very significant difference.

If it's the former, I'd be happy to fly whlst monitoring cell voltages, and take the extra precautions suggested, if the latter, I'm not so sure.  

The suggestion not to fly over people (or damagable objects!) in case the power fails is an oversimplification of the risk involved in the real world.  It has kinetic energy as well.
I can just see the accident report:  I was flying, with suspect batteries, at 40mph when the power failed............  

It may be better to advise operators not to fly close enough to sensitve objects such that a sudden power loss could put them within collision range.

Coupled with the firmware issues, it makes the I2 a complete mess at the moment.  
2018-11-3
Use props
BIGDZ
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Today while flyin with new .300 firmware I noticed in the battery setting location that I can pair my tb50 batteries. I don’t know if this was available before. I never noticed it in fw .100 .200.The batteries had a slight deviation in voltage; it wasn’t a lot, but drew concern after receiving notice from DJI and reading forums.

After pairing batteries, in the app. The voltage in that battery matched  it’s partner. This could’ve been in previous fw and I never  noticed. Anyone?

Side note: beta fw .300 is rock solid on my bird. Hoover is the best Ive ever seen it and no camera or ac drift when coming out of aggressive turns etc. I did notice it flew incredibly straight on the first battery; upon first initial start up, but after changing batteries packs,  it didn’t fly as straight as it did, at start(didn’t compass calibrate).

I’m confident using beta this Monday for a commercial shoot.
2018-11-3
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4
United Kingdom

BIGDZ Posted at 11-3 10:44
Today while flyin with new .300 firmware I noticed in the battery setting location that I can pair my tb50 batteries. I don’t know if this was available before. I never noticed it in fw .100 .200.The batteries had a slight deviation in voltage; it wasn’t a lot, but drew concern after receiving notice from DJI and reading forums.

After pairing batteries, in the app. The voltage in that battery matched  it’s partner. This could’ve been in previous fw and I never  noticed. Anyone?

Please can you tell us what setup your using?

X5/X7

CS / Android / Apple

Cedence or regular RC

Thanks
2018-11-3
Use props
BIGDZ
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

X4s
X5s
Standard controller
Apple IPad 2018
2018-11-3
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks.

Encouraging news.
2018-11-3
Use props
BIGDZ
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You re welcome! Yes, it is very encouraging, so far...
2018-11-3
Use props
rotorworks
lvl.2

Australia

BIGDZ Posted at 11-3 10:44

Battery pairing has been there since Day One.
2018-11-3
Use props
Frank White 9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 879843 ft
United States

rotorworks Posted at 11-3 20:28
Battery pairing has been there since Day One.

Since day 1 is correct

Focus up Bigdz
2018-11-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

BIGDZ Posted at 11-2 16:48
Curious does the beta .300 firmware remedy this issue? I’m assuming no but curious nonetheless

Hi BIGDZ, I have to confirm this to our engineers. Your patience is highly appreciated.
2018-11-4
Use props
BIGDZ
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Frank White 9 Posted at 11-3 23:51
Since day 1 is correct

Focus up Bigdz

That’s what I figured, focus up, indeed!
2018-11-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules