Ronin-S still not working with my Sony after update
8359 32 2018-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Herr_Vorragend
lvl.1
Germany

Hi all,

I already got my Ronin beginning of August, but haven't touched it since then bc of the missing (but advertised) Sony compatibility (I have an A7 III).
I wanted to use this mainly for timelapses, but the IR-Cable is completely useless. So many missing shots in the end that it is really unuseable.

Now some days ago I read that there was a fw-update which finally brings in the Sony-USB compatibility.
I updated my Ronin and set everything up, but I can't get it to work. Camera and Ronin can't establish a connection.
Am I missing something? Do I have to set something special in the app or in the camera options (I tried all USB-modes, none worked)?
I also wrote an e-mail to the support, but didn't get a reply so far.

Can someone help me out?
2018-11-1
Use props
Peter von Frosta
lvl.3
Flight distance : 39659 ft
Germany

Did you first start the Ronin and then the Camera? Which colour is the status LED at the focus wheel?
2018-11-1
Use props
Herr_Vorragend
lvl.1
Germany

Thank you for your reply. I tried both, but none worked.

Today I finally got an answer from the DJI support.
That person said that I need a new cable to make the Sony cameras work? Is that true?
Why would I need a new cable? The Ronin already came with a micro USB one.

Btw, I checked the link to the store they sent me, and DJI demands 43,- Euro for that 10 cm USB cable. Am I missing something here?
2018-11-2
Use props
LHimage
lvl.2
Flight distance : 62 ft
Netherlands

Unfortunately for your Sony camera to work you need the MCC-Multi cable, which is not included in the box with the Ronin s. You have to buy the  MCC Multi cable seperately from the DJI store, probably the link that they have send you. I had to do the same for my A6300 since the IR cable was unworkable. Many Sony users, including myself, are pretty upset how DJI has dealed with this issue, but I am afraid that there is no other option to buy the cable to get your Sony camera to work reliable with the Ronin S.
2018-11-2
Use props
Herr_Vorragend
lvl.1
Germany

To be honest this sounds like a bad joke.
The gimble was widely advertised to work with Sony cameras (via USB). I swear I saw videos post-launch with a Sony A7 connected via USB.
Then Sony compatibility isn't ready at launch, but people are patient and wait for rmonths for an update.
And then DJI demands another 43,- Euro to make use of the update and make their device work as promised...

If this is the final solution the Ronin-S will be my last DJI product for a long time. As much as I love their products, I'm not willing to support a company that behaves like this.
Let's see how accommodating the support is. I know one thing for sure: I won't pay 43,- Euro for a 10cm USB cable.
Maybe I will also contact the consumer advice center in my country.
2018-11-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Herr_Vorragend we are so sorry for the inconvenience caused, if you would like the USB shutter control, you will need to purchase the Ronin-S Multi-Camera Control Cable (Multi).
In the firmware of July, we have addressed the RSS-IR cable reliability issue of Ronin-S, after that, customers can control the shutter and AutoFocus of Sony model cameras via the RSS-IR cable. The new MCC-Multi cable was mainly released to add the Zoom control features to the Sony cameras to improve customer's experience, therefore, the MCC-Multi cable will need to be purchased separately. Appreciate your understanding.
2018-11-3
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1998786 ft
United Kingdom

I've not heard one good comment about using the IR cable with any camera. Has anyone had any success with IR?
2018-11-3
Use props
Herr_Vorragend
lvl.1
Germany

@ Mindy: Sorry to say that, but the IR-Cable is completely unreliable. I tried it a few times (even with the velcro attached, which was recommended by an admin here back then) but it missed so many shots in timelapses. You should get rid of that thing. It's unuseable and causes nothing but anger.
2018-11-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Herr_Vorragend Posted at 11-3 03:46
@ Mindy: Sorry to say that, but the IR-Cable is completely unreliable. I tried it a few times (even with the velcro attached, which was recommended by an admin here back then) but it missed so many shots in timelapses. You should get rid of that thing. It's unuseable and causes nothing but anger.

The missing shots issue has been addressed via the firmware, please update to the latest firmware to try again. But the MCC-Multi cable will need to be purchased separately, sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2018-11-5
Use props
JF
lvl.1
France

Hello,
I said 2 days ago with the "new" cable I bought, you may have the zoom function working when you don't record;
Wonderful, marvelous !

When you begin to record, NOTHING !!!

The same with the IR cable included in the box;

That's with a sony alpha3 and with each one of my lenses;
And I have a lot of lenses !

JF
2018-11-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

JF Posted at 11-13 02:14
Hello,
I said 2 days ago with the "new" cable I bought, you may have the zoom function working when you don't record;
Wonderful, marvelous !

Hi JF, sorry to read on that, you are running the latest firmware right? Could you please switch to Auto mode to have a try? If the issue persists, please share us a short sample video, thank you.
2018-11-13
Use props
JF
lvl.1
France

DJI Mindy Posted at 11-13 02:50
Hi JF, sorry to read on that, you are running the latest firmware right? Could you please switch to Auto mode to have a try? If the issue persists, please share us a short sample video, thank you.

Hello Mindy,
thanks for reading my message;

Yes I have the latest upgrade and yes, I made many tries with different lensenes and different configurations;
In fact, when I made a zoom (digital zoom) after upgrading and I saw the zoom effect on the screen, I thouhgt it was fixed (before, I had nothing att all);
The on-off button  was fucntionning so it was OK but... the zoom was "out";

That's why I say : when not recording, zoom is there and when recording, zoom is out;

Sorry, I have no video because I can't shoot a video about something inexistant (do you understand what I mean ?)

So, I'm waiting a new version of the firmware, perhaps fixing this problem;

JF
2018-11-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

JF Posted at 11-13 08:22
Hello Mindy,
thanks for reading my message;

Is there a chance that the zoom is delayed? We will optimize the zoom function in the future firmware, please wait patiently, thank you.
2018-11-15
Use props
JF
lvl.1
France

DJI Mindy Posted at 11-15 01:24
Is there a chance that the zoom is delayed? We will optimize the zoom function in the future firmware, please wait patiently, thank you.

Hello Mindy,
very very strange : to-day I made an other try and nothing, normal;
Five minutes later, I made an other try (I'm speaking about digital zoom with a Sony alpha7 iii) and... it was right !?
Incredible;
So I turn off my camera and my Ronin, I drink a coffee, and five minutes later, I made an other try and nothing...

Tomorrow I'll do some more tests 'cos that's very "bizarre" as we say in french.
2018-11-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

JF Posted at 11-15 17:31
Hello Mindy,
very very strange : to-day I made an other try and nothing, normal;
Five minutes later, I made an other try (I'm speaking about digital zoom with a Sony alpha7 iii) and... it was right !?

We will keep optimizing the stability of zoom in the future firmware, I'm sure the Digital zoom has been enabled in your camera’s settings right?
2018-11-15
Use props
JF
lvl.1
France

DJI Mindy Posted at 11-15 20:20
We will keep optimizing the stability of zoom in the future firmware, I'm sure the Digital zoom has been enabled in your camera’s settings right?

Hello Mindy,
it's enabled since the first time; I have done some other tries and the same : with a 24-240, it doesn't go, with a 16-35, it's ok, with a 50mm (1.8) it's ok, with a 18-105, doesn't go;

Well, I hope next upgrade will be right;

Have you heard about the release date of the little screen replacing a smartphone ?
2018-11-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

JF Posted at 11-18 00:53
Hello Mindy,
it's enabled since the first time; I have done some other tries and the same : with a 24-240, it doesn't go, with a 16-35, it's ok, with a 50mm (1.8) it's ok, with a 18-105, doesn't go;

Yes, we will get it optimized in the future firmware.
Have you heard about the release date of the little screen replacing a smartphone ?
No, I heard nothing of it.

2018-11-18
Use props
JF
lvl.1
France

DJI Mindy Posted at 11-18 20:18
Yes, we will get it optimized in the future firmware.
No, I heard nothing of it?

Hello Mindy,
thanks for the upgrade; wait and see;

As for the little screen, in the following video, they talk about and they show the screen;
Have a look : (that is at the beginning) :
2018-11-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

JF Posted at 11-20 01:20
Hello Mindy,
thanks for the upgrade; wait and see;

Good news, the Ronin-S Command Unit has been released, please check more details here: https://store.dji.com/product/ronin-s-command-unit
2018-11-21
Use props
JF
lvl.1
France

DJI Mindy Posted at 11-21 02:24
Good news, the Ronin-S Command Unit has been released, please check more details here: https://store.dji.com/product/ronin-s-command-unit

Yeahhh, good news for me;

Many thanks.
2018-11-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

JF Posted at 11-21 05:44
Yeahhh, good news for me;

Many thanks.

No problem, please let us know if you have further concern.
2018-11-22
Use props
TartanZone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 78665 ft
United Kingdom

Hello Mindy,

I have recently bought the new USB cable, updated the firmware on my Sony (Alpha 6500) and Lens (Sony SELP18105G E Mount APS-C 18-105 mm F4.0) .  Start and stop recording works with the Ronin s but the zoom does not work. The focus wheel light is GREEN. When turning the focus wheel the zoom appears on the Sony screen but only briefly moves 1 digit mm but does not zoom in or out.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for your help!
2019-1-9
Use props
XRISTOS
lvl.1
Greece

Hi to all. I recently bought ronin a and I own a a7sii.i had same problem but then I switch the camera settings and it works like a charm.if need further info let me know.
2019-1-11
Use props
TartanZone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 78665 ft
United Kingdom

XRISTOS Posted at 1-11 01:23
Hi to all. I recently bought ronin a and I own a a7sii.i had same problem but then I switch the camera settings and it works like a charm.if need further info let me know.

Hi XRISTOS,
What are the settings in the camera are you changing?
Thanks!
2019-1-12
Use props
ragingdemon
New
United States

Same situation. I have an A6500 with the 18-105 lens. Latest firmware on both the gimbal and camera. I have the same problem. Recording and photos are fine but when the wheel is adjusted, the zoom flashes in and doesn't move. Any ideas?
2019-2-1
Use props
ragingdemon
New
United States

Ok, so basically you have to go into the app, go to Create, Camera Controls, and set it to "Fast." Slow is pointless.
2019-2-1
Use props
stillcreates
New
Canada

TartanZone Posted at 1-9 23:52
Hello Mindy,

I have recently bought the new USB cable, updated the firmware on my Sony (Alpha 6500) and Lens (Sony SELP18105G E Mount APS-C 18-105 mm F4.0) .  Start and stop recording works with the Ronin s but the zoom does not work. The focus wheel light is GREEN. When turning the focus wheel the zoom appears on the Sony screen but only briefly moves 1 digit mm but does not zoom in or out.

I have this exact same problem. After weeks of talking to customer service they would not budge on sending me a multi control cable; they kept saying, “it’s a creative extension for Sony users.” In other words, we screwed Sony users by releasing the Ronin - S. I had the other guy on the other end admit that it’s kind of crazy and deceitful how they went about this but that they weren’t budging, I had to buy the cable as an extra piece, “a creative extension.”

I have the same problem as this with the exact same setup! I paid another extra $50 CAD to buy this cable from DJI and ship it to Ontario. That’s a $50 cable to hit record and stop record as the zoom does exactly what is listed above and there is no autofocus capability. It’s so frustrating and so misleading. How can a company knowingly sell you yet another product that doesn’t work that promised to fix the problem you were having before?

Is it a class action lawsuit time?
2019-2-2
Use props
Lord Leonard
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6726 ft
United States

ragingdemon Posted at 2-1 23:44
Same situation. I have an A6500 with the 18-105 lens. Latest firmware on both the gimbal and camera. I have the same problem. Recording and photos are fine but when the wheel is adjusted, the zoom flashes in and doesn't move. Any ideas?

Hi Ragingdemon,

I have the same setup.  On "Fast" mode via the smartphone app it will zoom from 18mm to 50mm in almost one turn.  On "Slow" mode it takes a full turn to go 1mm.  I have no idea what the ratio of this wheel is to the actual focus motors in the lens.  It's definitely not a 1 to 1 though.   I have since removed the focus wheel and just use the rocker switch on the lens.  So far, DJI has been pretty good with updates and Firmware.  I hope it's not much longer for this fix.
2019-2-6
Use props
Lord Leonard
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6726 ft
United States

stillcreates Posted at 2-2 07:43
I have this exact same problem. After weeks of talking to customer service they would not budge on sending me a multi control cable; they kept saying, “it’s a creative extension for Sony users.” In other words, we screwed Sony users by releasing the Ronin - S. I had the other guy on the other end admit that it’s kind of crazy and deceitful how they went about this but that they weren’t budging, I had to buy the cable as an extra piece, “a creative extension.”

I have the same problem as this with the exact same setup! I paid another extra $50 CAD to buy this cable from DJI and ship it to Ontario. That’s a $50 cable to hit record and stop record as the zoom does exactly what is listed above and there is no autofocus capability. It’s so frustrating and so misleading. How can a company knowingly sell you yet another product that doesn’t work that promised to fix the problem you were having before?

I feel your pain.  I had the same issue.  I can tell you this though.  the IR cable that comes with the Ronin S works just fine for REC and triggering the shutter.  All that's really required for a run & gun gimbal like the Ronin S, IMO.  I will say it's nice being able to control the Ronin S and the camera simultaneously via the smartphone app though.  I did end up purchasing the Sony cable for my a6500.  Was it worth it?  Not unless you want to simultaneously control the camera and the Ronin S or a better connection to the camera.  I did notice the IR cable had a harder time in direct sunlight.  All in all.  My Sony camera worked day 1 with the Ronin S via the IR cable provided.
2019-2-6
Use props
Haris Audio
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Can you please let me know where can I see which features are possible using this cable , I need it for original Sony A7. Thanks!
2019-3-19
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

Any sony alpha users got this multi cable working to control shutter? What setting is needed?
2019-3-19
Use props
ParisViol
lvl.1
Flight distance : 448530 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Reading this thread I've realised that there are still ongoing issues with the IR and MCC-multi cable.
I previously purchased the MCC cable, but couldn't get it to work so i reverted back to the IR cable as it was working perfectly fine.

Recently, with all the updates to the Ronin and Sony A7iii I decided to try the MCC cable again and guess what?
It still doesn't work, but not in the way you think. The Focus wheel (despite doing the whole 1-1 roll which is annoying in itself) isn't as annoying as the record button not working.
As I'm shooting a wedding tomorrow, I figured I'll sort out the MCC cable issue another time and revert back to the IR cable AGAIN!
Only for that to also not work. See I can't figure out if it's a problem with the Ronin or the cable, because I have the Sony RMT-DSLR2 remote and it starts and stop the video no problem.

If anyone has any ideas, I am all ears because I've been trying to sort this out for the past 3 hours and having a big boy strop
2019-4-26
Use props
Shane H
lvl.2
Flight distance : 38179 ft
United Kingdom

fansdb6ff1f7 Posted at 2018-11-3 02:29
I've not heard one good comment about using the IR cable with any camera. Has anyone had any success with IR?

Im Using the IR cable with my A7 and it works fine ..

shane
2019-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules