Phantom Battery Charger Issues
1495 18 2018-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans2c4c9f06
lvl.2
Flight distance : 138061 ft
United States

So about a 6 months ago I put my drone into storage, drained the battery to about 12% and put it in the case.

Pulled it out last week to go fly while the leaves are changing and my battery won't charge. I put it on the charger, the red light stays solid and the green light flashes 3 times then shuts off. I conclude that the battery is dead. After dropping another $100 on another battery, I get it in the mail today and it won't charge. Comes on and charges for about 5 seconds then it does the exact same thing.

My idiotic self just realized that it might actually be the charger, not the battery. Anyone else have this issue?

2018-11-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The 'charger' is nothing more than a power supply providing 17.5 volts DC. Put a meter on the connector, if it shows 17.5 volts DC then there is nothing wrong with it.
2018-11-1
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

You made an error storing your battery at 12%.  

Research "hibernation mode" in DJI batteries.  You might be able to "wake it up", both of them, and then charge them up.

If you're able to revive either of them, and even if you aren't, research how to store a DJI Intelligent battery.  

Good luck.  
2018-11-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience. May I know where did you purchase the unit? Will of your batteries do the same behavior while using the charger? Please keep us posted on for further help.
2018-11-1
Use props
fans2c4c9f06
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 11-1 16:15
Hi, sorry for the inconvenience. May I know where did you purchase the unit? Will of your batteries do the same behavior while using the charger? Please keep us posted on for further help.

The first battery came with the drone, bought it on Amazon in February of 2016. Flew it great up until about 6 months ago. Bought this new battery on Walmart.com from a 3rd party Tuesday. Opened it out of its sealed package literally two hours ago, it's doing the same thing.

Problem is, the batteries won't charge. They're both at one bar and they act weird when they plug in to the charger.
2018-11-1
Use props
Caspers driver
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4540515 ft
United States

Try turning on the battery and then plugging into the charger.

Good luck!
2018-11-1
Use props
fans2c4c9f06
lvl.2
United States

Caspers driver Posted at 11-1 16:34
Try turning on the battery and then plugging into the charger.

Good luck!

Didn't work, still doing it. Starting to lose hope at this point, sad that a brand new battery is dead out of the box.
2018-11-1
Use props
Caspers driver
Second Officer
United States

Sorry that didn’t do it.

Have you checked voltage output of charger?
2018-11-1
Use props
fans2c4c9f06
lvl.2
United States

Caspers driver Posted at 11-1 16:48
Sorry that didn’t do it.

Have you checked voltage output of charger?

Yes, my multimeter says that it's 17.5v just like the charger brick says it should be.
2018-11-1
Use props
Caspers driver
Second Officer
United States

https://forum.dji.com/thread-134111-1-1.html

Try this thread. Can’t hurt. Wish I could offer more.

Good luck and post back with your solution, where ever it leads.
2018-11-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fans2c4c9f06 Posted at 11-1 16:53
Yes, my multimeter says that it's 17.5v just like the charger brick says it should be.

It is probable that your older battery is dead, but the new one should be sent back under warranty if it does not want to play.
2018-11-1
Use props
朱亚萍
lvl.1

China

Hey,friend. I think u should change your charger.  Buy a good battery charger better for your drone .
2018-11-1
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

How many Watts are given from the charger for how many batteries to charge them in one time?
2018-11-2
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fans2c4c9f06 Posted at 11-1 16:25
The first battery came with the drone, bought it on Amazon in February of 2016. Flew it great up until about 6 months ago. Bought this new battery on Walmart.com from a 3rd party Tuesday. Opened it out of its sealed package literally two hours ago, it's doing the same thing.

Problem is, the batteries won't charge. They're both at one bar and they act weird when they plug in to the charger.

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. Would it be possible if you could provide the short video of this issue while using the charger on the Phantom 3 Standard and the car charger? You can use the google drive or dropbox then provide the link here for the further check. Thank you for the support.
2018-11-4
Use props
fans2c4c9f06
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 11-4 11:08
Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. Would it be possible if you could provide the short video of this issue while using the charger on the Phantom 3 Standard and the car charger? You can use the google drive or dropbox then provide the link here for the further check. Thank you for the support.

I've uploaded a video to youtube  that shows my issue. The first battery shown is the one that i've had, the second is the one I just bought last week. This is done with my stock charger from when I purchased the drone.

2018-11-5
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Yeah there is something wrong.  Maybe several things wrong.  Note how the first battery flashes very quickly when you check the charge.  The second battery flashes much slower when you check the charge.  My P3 battery flashes like the first battery when I check the charge.  But my P2 battery flashes like the second battery when I check the charge.  That makes me think the second battery is an aftermarket.  

Then there's the charging thing.   The first battery behaves like I would expect at first, and then pauses.  Then repeats.  It shouldn't pause.  The second battery goes from the first lamp to the 4th lamp, even though it previously indicated it was close to being dead.  That's not right.

From what I can tell, both batteries have major issues and different issues.  I have to wonder if one or both of them aren't aftermarket.  
2018-11-5
Use props
fans2c4c9f06
lvl.2
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 11-5 18:36
Yeah there is something wrong.  Maybe several things wrong.  Note how the first battery flashes very quickly when you check the charge.  The second battery flashes much slower when you check the charge.  My P3 battery flashes like the first battery when I check the charge.  But my P2 battery flashes like the second battery when I check the charge.  That makes me think the second battery is an aftermarket.  

Then there's the charging thing.   The first battery behaves like I would expect at first, and then pauses.  Then repeats.  It shouldn't pause.  The second battery goes from the first lamp to the 4th lamp, even though it previously indicated it was close to being dead.  That's not right.

The first one is for sure an OEM battery as it is the one that came in the box when I purchased my drone from DJI. The second one came in what seems to be an official DJI box with all the paperwork an official battery would have, but without charging it I have no way to prove its validity...
2018-11-5
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

You should return the second one for a full refund.  Also please tell us who the seller is so we know who to avoid.  
2018-11-6
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fans2c4c9f06 Posted at 11-5 15:53
I've uploaded a video to youtube  that shows my issue. The first battery shown is the one that i've had, the second is the one I just bought last week. This is done with my stock charger from when I purchased the drone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch-qgwGXau4

Hi, thank you for providing the information. I've forwarded the issue to our team to possibly determine if this would be a batteries issue or the battery charger. I will provide the information once I've received a feedback from our R&D engineers. If you seek for the updates on this, please hit "Reply" for me to be notified. Thank you for the support.
2018-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules