Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Lost Connectivity
1004 10 2018-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

I was flying near a park, sitting at a metal park bench.  I noticed that my video feed was cutting out earlier than I would think, so I had it come home.  It flew over my head and went about 200 yards further... then lost connection.  

I was still with VLOS, and was terrified that it wasn't responding.  I was able to see my drone, even though the software on my iPad said it was disconnected.  I wasn't getting any telemetry but could tell the drone was still responding to my commands.  I flew the bird straight down to me and landed.  I restarted my controller and it worked great.  

Wow... that was NOT fun.  

R

2018-11-1
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

They are terrifying moments. Try to get away as much as possible from any metal object or structure. Errors teach, enjoy and fly safe

2018-11-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You lost the downlink (video) only but still had full control.
That's quite normal.
If you had lost the control signal or switched off the controller, the drone would have started RTH.
2018-11-2
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Spain

When lose signal i usually click inmediatly the RTH ...for security
2018-11-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 11-2 02:09
When lose signal i usually click inmediatly the RTH ...for security

If you've lost signal, pushing the RTH button won't have any effect.
2018-11-2
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Spain

Labroides Posted at 11-2 02:37
If you've lost signal, pushing the RTH button won't have any effect.

Then it is only a downlink lose
2018-11-2
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-2 02:01
You lost the downlink (video) only but still had full control.
That's quite normal.
If you had lost the control signal or switched off the controller, the drone would have started RTH.

See... that's one experiment I have been afraid to try, what happens if my controller is turned off?  Do I have to "set the home point" for it to return to where it took off from?  How long would it hang in the air before coming home?  

Oh and it was more than just loosing the video feed... The screen said... "disconnected" and I wasn't getting anything from it.  Scary!
2018-11-2
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 11-2 02:43
Then it is only a downlink lose

That's the thing.. it "said" I lost signal and my screen was showing as if my drone weren't even on... but fortunately I was within line of sight and could see that it was still responding.  I wasn't far away... If it had been out of sight, I would not have known which direction to point it to home.... So happy she is safe... Let that be a lesson for folks that fly way too far....
2018-11-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

MrRobert5823 Posted at 11-2 06:03
See... that's one experiment I have been afraid to try, what happens if my controller is turned off?  Do I have to "set the home point" for it to return to where it took off from?  How long would it hang in the air before coming home?  

Oh and it was more than just loosing the video feed... The screen said... "disconnected" and I wasn't getting anything from it.  Scary!

See... that's one experiment I have been afraid to try, what happens if my controller is turned off?  
That's something you need to experiment with to get experience and confidence.
Go to a large, open area, fly 100 ft or so away and switch the controller off and watch what happens.

Do I have to "set the home point" for it to return to where it took off from?

Of course the Phantom has to record a home point to be able to return to it.
But your Phantom automatically records a home point every time you fly, as soon as it gets a good GPS location.

How long would it hang in the air before coming home?

According to the manual, it's 3 seconds after losing signal.
Try it and see.

And next time you lose signal, watch the LED on your controller.
If it's green you still have control signal.
If it's red, you have lost control signal as well.

2018-11-2
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-2 06:40
See... that's one experiment I have been afraid to try, what happens if my controller is turned off?  
That's something you need to experiment with to get experience and confidence.
Go to a large, open area, fly 100 ft or so away and switch the controller off and watch what happens.

Well.... Seems like I have some fun things to do this Saturday!   Thanks... I will do this..
2018-11-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi MrRobert5823. I am sorry to know what happened on your previous flight with your DJI Phantom 4 Pro. I understand that you were sitting on a metal park bench when this issue happened. Just a reminder to avoid metal objects and structures to eliminate interference. Interference can create lost connection between the drone and the remote controller and can lead to severe damage on the drone. Have a safe and happy flying. Thank you.
2018-11-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules