1884 33 2018-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
S.D. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're concentrating on flying your drone when all of a sudden, it's not responding to your RC commands? You begin following the drone because your're trying to get a connection back but still not responding? When you realize wait...that's another drone that looks identical to yours?

One of most scariest moments I had the other day while flying the MP2.
I didn't panic. I decided instead to hit RTH...then low and behold, there it was above me. I thought, you scared the crap out of me.
2018-11-2
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

No but i would like to experience that. I want to see what the screen looks like when another drone comes into my area. Glad you calmed down some since then lol
2018-11-2
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

You're brave 56...lol

I was like..."What the hell is going on".....

I later met up with the other pilot who also had the same reaction.....is that my drone? when I went buzzing past him.
2018-11-2
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes happen to me once. Was flying around my neighborhood, when all of a sudden a MP flew over me
going the other direction at top speed. I just knew I had a fly away. All I could do while watching it fly was say where are you going.
Looked at my screen and realized my bird wasn't moving. Hit RTH anyway after a few my bird appeared, while landing  the
other MP flew over. Found out a neighbor 3 blocks over had just got one and was doing his maiden flight.
2018-11-2
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 11-2 05:09
Yes happen to me once. Was flying around my neighborhood, when all of a sudden a MP flew over me
going the other direction at top speed. I just knew I had a fly away. All I could do while watching it fly was say where are you going.
Looked at my screen and realized my bird wasn't moving. Hit RTH anyway after a few my bird appeared, while landing  the

"Hit RTH anyway"

Smart move.

Not panicking is always the best way to go. If you would have stared at the craft and try moving the sticks, a crash could've easily have happened.
2018-11-2
Use props
poetoe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3181066 ft
Switzerland

Check this one out.....in this order:

2018-11-2
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

S.D. Pilot Posted at 11-2 05:03
You're brave 56...lol

I was like..."What the hell is going on".....

lol good way to meet people
2018-11-2
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

Woe Posted at 11-2 05:09
Yes happen to me once. Was flying around my neighborhood, when all of a sudden a MP flew over me

lol must have been a trip
2018-11-2
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

Everywhere i drive i am always looking for drones and i have yet to see one ever except for mine of course. I think it would be fun to see one and try to catch up to it lol Hope i have plenty off battery if it does happen
2018-11-2
Use props
North Idaho Guy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2310082 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not the other Drone thing yet but, I do catch myself trying to power other things up like my phone for example the way we have to power up our DJI RC's and AC's.........The double push power on thing.
2018-11-2
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

It happens every so often with me. I fly with others and we try to communicate asking each other for distance, direction and altitude, Some times we forget and I end up doing a VLOS on someone else's drone until I look at my screen and see it's not mine.   On one occasion we did have a rogue drone fly over and we all just looked at each other wondering which of us it belonged to. Or which one of us lost control. Never did find out where it came from.
2018-11-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

That was really hilarious! Thank you for sharing your experience with our drone. I'm very glad you manage it calmly. I suggest you pay more attention to the screen and in the area where you fly your drone to avoid this scenario again. Should you have any concern, please don't hesitate to reach us. We are here to help you. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2018-11-2
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

B1houdini Posted at 11-2 07:51
It happens every so often with me. I fly with others and we try to communicate asking each other for distance, direction and altitude, Some times we forget and I end up doing a VLOS on someone else's drone until I look at my screen and see it's not mine.   On one occasion we did have a rogue drone fly over and we all just looked at each other wondering which of us it belonged to. Or which one of us lost control. Never did find out where it came from.

I'd thought about flying with others at one point but decided against because it would be too confusing well at least for me.  I'd be freaked with few drones buzzing not know which one is mine.
2018-11-2
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-2 08:28
That was really hilarious!  Thank you for sharing your experience with our drone. I'm very glad you manage it calmly. I suggest you pay more attention to the screen and in the area where you fly your drone to avoid this scenario again. Should you have any concern, please don't hesitate to reach us. We are here to help you. Thank you and have a safe flight always.

"suggest you pay more attention to the screen and in the area where you fly your drone to avoid this scenario again".

Are you serious? that's exactly what I was doing; VLOS and reviewing the screen helping me to avoid a disaster. These incidents are sometimes unavoidable as you don't know who else may be flying a drone in your immediate vicinity.

That is unless DJI creates a feature on the App that detects other drones in the area? Should we even go there?
2018-11-2
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

poetoe Posted at 11-2 06:02
Check this one out.....in this order:

Yeah saw that first video before.
What's funny is that when this incident happened to me, first thing I thought about was that video...
2018-11-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

S.D. Pilot Posted at 11-2 09:01
"suggest you pay more attention to the screen and in the area where you fly your drone to avoid this scenario again".

Are you serious? that's exactly what I was doing; VLOS and reviewing the screen helping me to avoid a disaster. These incidents are sometimes unavoidable as you don't know who else may be flying a drone in your immediate vicinity.

I understand your point, S.D Pilot. No worries, I can forward your suggestion to our R&D department for future request. Thanks for your support.
2018-11-2
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I once lost sight of my DJI F550 whilst searching for a friends plane that he had crashed into a forest. I hit return to home and thought it had joined the lost plane in the forest as I still could not see or hear it.  I walked back to my car head down wondering what my wife was going to say when I told her I had lost the drone and was trying to think up some good excuses. As I got near my car there was my F550 sitting exactly where it had taken off. Return to home had worked perfectly! And yes I have mistaken my flying buddies’ Mavic for mine.
2018-11-2
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Haven’t had an experience like this one yet but it sounds like there’s some pucker factor involved there.
2018-11-2
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

So decals or skins might help distinguish one drone from another - unless, of course, two folks opt for the same pattern/color!
2018-11-2
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mullheliflier Posted at 11-2 09:11
I once lost sight of my DJI F550 whilst searching for a friends plane that he had crashed into a forest. I hit return to home and thought it had joined the lost plane in the forest as I still could not see or hear it.  I walked back to my car head down wondering what my wife was going to say when I told her I had lost the drone and was trying to think up some good excuses. As I got near my car there was my F550 sitting exactly where it had taken off. Return to home had worked perfectly! And yes I have mistaken my flying buddies’ Mavic for mine.

Wow interesting and good on you to hit that RTH.  Agree that RTH is magic. Whenever in doubt hit that RTH. Hopefully newbies are reading and taking notes on these experiences.
2018-11-2
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 11-2 09:16
Haven’t had an experience like this one yet but it sounds like there’s some pucker factor involved there.

LOL sure thing. Major pucker factor for me.
2018-11-2
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ff22 Posted at 11-2 09:20
So decals or skins might help distinguish one drone from another - unless, of course, two folks opt for the same pattern/color!

Good idea that is like you pointed out, similar skins. Watch out !  
2018-11-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13978875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not personally but I was watching my drone and it was steering in opposing directions - until I realised I was looking at a bird
2018-11-2
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I've had a Mavic Air suddenly appear in front, beside or behind my pro, inspire, phantom on numerous occasions, generally followed by an angry growl that if I hit her pet I'm in serious trouble. So bought her a Ronin-S to keep her grounded and don't have the heart to tell her the stand at the bottom of the ronin-s isn't a propeller and it won't fly.   Her 'pet' is still her pet and when the weather lifts she'll be back to buzzing me and back to her charming growling self. Ohhhh the joys of flying with your better half.
2018-11-2
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 11-2 09:57
Not personally but I was watching my drone and it was steering in opposing directions - until I realised I was looking at a bird

How did that happened?
2018-11-2
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Yes I agree. One of the few times I  have used RTH. But was happy it wasn't my bird
2018-11-2
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

rolling56 Posted at 11-2 06:28
lol must have been a trip

Yes it was
2018-11-2
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

I have seen a few r/c models crash when the pilot was flying the wrong model so you're not the first person to fall into this trap.
Fortunately you had onboard video and RTH, the r/c models did not have this DJI technology
Now if only my Free Flight models could RTH
2018-11-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

S.D. Pilot Posted at 11-2 15:17
How did that happened?

I once had a Mavic Pro Alpine white and kid you not - it looked like a bird up there LOL
2018-11-3
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 11-3 00:38
I once had a Mavic Pro Alpine white and kid you not - it looked like a bird up there LOL

lol..I bet.
2018-11-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nightmare thing to fly - glad I got rid of it.
2018-11-3
Use props
MrTitan
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Had a situation where I drove out to a location to fly and when I arrived I found another photographer setting up their DSLR for a shot.  So I hung back for a good while to give them space but it was a walk back to the car and I'd only paid for a couple hours parking so after a while I went down to film too and tell them that I was going to be filming using my drone.  They weren't very friendly, and as I unpacked my Mavic, they got one out too, so I told them I'd hang back and take shots a ways away from the landform we were both there to shoot.

I figured they were there first so I thought I'd give them space to shoot for 10-15 minutes, but as my car park ticket got ever closer to running out I had to join them and attempt to get footage of the same object, at the same time, whilst trying not to get their drone in my shot or put my drone in theirs.  Not the easiest thing to do when the other pilot isn't willing to communicate and doesn't seem to see any potential danger.

It was quite a nerve racking and challenging 10 minutes in the air (not to mention the worry of crossed/interrupted transmission signals and possible disconnects/fly away) but it was worth the hassle.  Unfortunately I learned that day that not all camera drone pilots are friendly and understanding.  I thought that, due to the hassle we can get from the public, a 'stick together and help each other out' attitude was understood by all drone pilots, so I was surprised to be placed in that position.  Good experience though.
2018-11-4
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

MrTitan Posted at 11-4 02:29
Had a situation where I drove out to a location to fly and when I arrived I found another photographer setting up their DSLR for a shot.  So I hung back for a good while to give them space but it was a walk back to the car and I'd only paid for a couple hours parking so after a while I went down to film too and tell them that I was going to be filming using my drone.  They weren't very friendly, and as I unpacked my Mavic, they got one out too, so I told them I'd hang back and take shots a ways away from the landform we were both there to shoot.

I figured they were there first so I thought I'd give them space to shoot for 10-15 minutes, but as my car park ticket got ever closer to running out I had to join them and attempt to get footage of the same object, at the same time, whilst trying not to get their drone in my shot or put my drone in theirs.  Not the easiest thing to do when the other pilot isn't willing to communicate and doesn't seem to see any potential danger.

There always are a$$holes!
Thanks for sharing.

Flysafely
Alex
2018-11-4
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MrTitan Posted at 11-4 02:29
Had a situation where I drove out to a location to fly and when I arrived I found another photographer setting up their DSLR for a shot.  So I hung back for a good while to give them space but it was a walk back to the car and I'd only paid for a couple hours parking so after a while I went down to film too and tell them that I was going to be filming using my drone.  They weren't very friendly, and as I unpacked my Mavic, they got one out too, so I told them I'd hang back and take shots a ways away from the landform we were both there to shoot.

I'm surprised - I'd expect that from someone who doesn't own a drone but from an actual drone pilot and/or photographer, sad. Good for you to have gotten some footage and moved on somewhere else.
2018-11-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules