Reinstall latest firmware?
5634 18 2018-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djordan2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

I suspect that the latest firmware in my P3S is corrupt.  It it 1.9.X.X .  How can I reinstall it?  I tried putting it on an SC card and attempting to install, but it just tells me that the firmware is the same as what is already installed and aborts.  I'm dealing with an extremely short range issue after updating.

2018-11-2
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

You can download the FW file directly there and unzip that to your SD card to the root.
After that you fire up your RC and AC without the SD card in the cam. Start the Go app and look for error messages. If the AC beeps "SOS" then insert the card,and the refresh begins.
i hope that helps you to correct the FW in the system AC/RC
2018-11-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize for the troubles you had recently. The firmware of your aircraft should be at v01.09.0200 already after the update.  I will be providing a video tutorial below on how to update the firmware. Thank you.

2018-11-3
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
United States

I've updated firmware in the past.   In this case, I have two P3 standards.  Both are identical  (i.e., no mods).  One I crashed many months ago, and I sent it to DJI repair.   When the new one arrived, I found that the range was drastically increased.  It would easily go out to about 6,200 feet under full control.  The second one would only go out to about 2,000 feet before RTH initialed because of signal loss.  So I did a firmware update to the latest.  After the update completed successfully it will only go out to  1,000 feet before signal loss.  I"m thinking that the update did not go well or was corrupt.  I want to reinstall the lastest.  That's what I want to know how to do.
2018-11-3
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Germany

Did you try my way yet,Jordan?
2018-11-4
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
United States

Peterx Posted at 11-4 13:49
Did you try my way yet,Jordan?

Yes, I did.  But it didn't work.  Remember, I already have the latest FW installed, and the drone flies normally except for the shorter range.  I just want to re-install the latest to see if that helps.
2018-11-4
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Germany

I think if the AC and RC have the latest FW version already then the upgrade process will stop after the verifying the version number and the refresh will fail without any causes.
2018-11-5
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
United States

Peterx Posted at 11-5 01:41
I think if the AC and RC have the latest FW version already then the upgrade process will stop after the verifying the version number and the refresh will fail without any causes.

Yes, that is exactly what it does.  It aborts and tells me that it already has the latest.
2018-11-5
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

The P3S has gotten notorious for shorter and shorter range for some reason.  
2018-11-5
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
United States

The funny thing is that both drones (P3 Standards) flew from the exact same spot.  Once on the open desert and the other time in the city.  Both have the same firmware. Neither has any antenna mods.  One will go out to 6,200+ feet, and the other won't go past 1,000 feet.  Wish I knew what the difference is.  I can only suspect corrupt firmware.
2018-11-6
Use props
OrlyP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36916 ft
Philippines

Try mixing up the remotes and see if the problem follows the AC or the RC.

Needless to say, you will need to go through the remote pairing process individually for both P3Ss.
2018-11-10
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
United States

OrlyP Posted at 11-10 20:02
Try mixing up the remotes and see if the problem follows the AC or the RC.

Needless to say, you will need to go through the remote pairing process individually for both P3Ss.

No, I don't think it is the RC unit.  My RC unit is the original one I got when I first bought my P3 Standard about three years ago.  Last year I cashed the original one and sent it in for repair.  The original one would only go out to about 2,500 feet.  I thought that was normal.  When I sent it in for repair, I did not send in the RC unit, just the drone.  Of course, DJI just sent me a replacement P3 standard.  I had to pair my RC unit with the new drone.  That drone is the one that can now go to 6,200 feet.  So I'm still thinking it is a firmware problem.
2018-11-10
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
United States

Okay, I put this thing away for a month.  Yesterday, I decided to try and load the firmware once more.  This time I used a trick I saw on YouTube.  It worked!  I got the firmware to reload.  I did a test flight this morning.  The P3S few very well.  It is very stable within about 1,300 feet.  That is all she can do.  So I quit.  I will be using this one for practice maneuvers close in only.  My P3P will be my only distance drone from now on. It will easily go out to more than 13,500 feet before I voluntarily turn back.   My second P3S is still going out to more than 6,000 feet.  Wish I knew what the difference was between the two.  Oh well...I'm done.
2018-12-1
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Germany

You may remember that all versions of P3S firm ware are all in one package. It upgrades the whole system of that bird. RC,AC,Gimbal,cam  and batteries you put in.
2018-12-1
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
United States

Peterx Posted at 12-1 13:56
You may remember that all versions of P3S firm ware are all in one package. It upgrades the whole system of that bird. RC,AC,Gimbal,cam  and batteries you put in.

Actually, this procedure required that the Controller be turned off. It was not on during the whole is installation.  The RC  unit was already upgraded to the new latest firmware.
2018-12-1
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
United States

Peterx Posted at 12-1 13:56
You may remember that all versions of P3S firm ware are all in one package. It upgrades the whole system of that bird. RC,AC,Gimbal,cam  and batteries you put in.

Actually, this procedure said to leave the Controller off during installation.  It already had the newest firmware installed.
2018-12-1
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Germany

Then you are right but now you know what part of the firmware was corrupted. That was the AC´s system.  I hope your bird will fly better than before.
2018-12-2
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
United States

It's a great mystery.   Why does one P3S fly out to 6,000 feet and the other will only go out to 1,300 at best?  I can not see any other difference between the two.
2018-12-2
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
United States

Well, I just couldn't stop thinking about it.  Today I just had to try one more trick.  I went out with the Standard in question and installed one of those slip on parabolic range extenders.  All be darn if it didn't extend the range to 4,600 feet. Go figure!
2018-12-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules