Calibration Error
1609 9 2018-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mega Tron
lvl.1
United States

I recently started having calibration errors on my Phantom 4 Pro V2.0. I go through the steps to calibrate my drone but it won’t calibrate the first time. It sometimes takes up to 5 different attempts to get it calibrated. Anyone else have this issue? Any idea what is causing this?
2018-11-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

How come you posted this under the Videos and Pictures title?

What are you attempting to calibrate, IMU, Gimbal, or the Compass perhaps?

Or maybe the rc sticks...

RedHotPoker
2018-11-2
Use props
Mega Tron
lvl.1
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 11-2 23:40
How come you posted this under the Videos and Pictures title?

I didn’t realize I posted this in the wrong category. It’s the compass that I’m having a problem calibrating.
2018-11-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mega Tron Posted at 11-3 01:28
I didn’t realize I posted this in the wrong category. It’s the compass that I’m having a problem calibrating.

May I ask where you are attempting this compass calibration.

I hope it’s outside, perhaps in a grassy open area, away from any ferrous (magnetic) metal or electrical interference.

RedHotPoker
2018-11-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize for the troubles you had with calibrations. I'd like to ask what are the error messages you saw when calibrating? Is it possible to upload a video for us to isolate the issue? If its a compass calibration, The calibration fails under the following conditions:
1. The magnetic field strength is wrong.
2. The magnetic inclination is wrong.
3. The compass has not been calibrated for a long period.
4. It is far from the area where the calibration is conducted.
5. The orientation detection error is large.

Should there be any concerns, don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.
2018-11-3
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

You probably don't need a calibration at all on the compass.  Just try moving into different areas.
2018-11-3
Use props
Mega Tron
lvl.1
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 11-3 01:39
May I ask where you are attempting this compass calibration.

I hope it’s outside, perhaps in a grassy open area, away from any ferrous (magnetic) metal or electrical interference.

I’ve done this calibration outside, once on the top level of a parking structure, and the other time was in my backyard. I’ve done this calibration in my backyard before and I didn’t have any problems.
2018-11-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mega Tron Posted at 11-3 11:24
I’ve done this calibration outside, once on the top level of a parking structure, and the other time was in my backyard. I’ve done this calibration in my backyard before and I didn’t have any problems.

The parking structure is not any help, as there are steel reinforcing bars in the concrete.

You do need to be out in the open, away from structures or electrical wiring.

Has the drone ever crashed or taken a rough landing?
Anything else unusual happening?

RedHotPoker
2018-11-3
Use props
Mega Tron
lvl.1
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 11-3 13:28
The parking structure is not any help, as there are steel reinforcing bars in the concrete.

You do need to be out in the open, away from structures or electrical wiring.

No, the drone has not crashed or taken any hard landing. The main problem with not being able to calibrate was that I couldn’t “take off.” But once I got it calibrated, after numerous attempts from the same location (roof of parking structure), it allowed me to take off. However, I had to recalibrate (as I received the same error message) when I did a battery change.
2018-11-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mega Tron Posted at 11-3 13:38
No, the drone has not crashed or taken any hard landing. The main problem with not being able to calibrate was that I couldn’t “take off.” But once I got it calibrated, after numerous attempts from the same location (roof of parking structure), it allowed me to take off. However, I had to recalibrate (as I received the same error message) when I did a battery change.

Yes, that’s not a great place to fly from. If your compass doesn’t work correctly, you could be in big trouble.

Anyway, there is no reason to do compass calibrations, other than perhaps one time, if done correctly.
Getting compass errors usually means there is a problem, in the near vicinity.

RedHotPoker

2018-11-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules