Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Erratic altitude readings
1322 12 2018-11-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Twistedlarch
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3948947 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi all, I took my Spark out on this foggy morning (approx 1/2 mile visibility) to do some through the fog video's.  I sent it up about 200ish feet when I knoticed the altitude was going crazy.  When I brought Sparky back down it was coming down at a high rate of speed and was not going to stop after I let off the controls, I was able to push up on the stick and it finally stopped.  I landed and restart everything and tried again.  Altitude seemed to be accurate at about 10 ft then went crazy again beyound that.  Also, Sparky wanted to keep climbing and or decending for a brief moment after letting off the sticks.  I re-started everything again, fresh battery, and re-calibrated the compass and the issue still presist...any ideas as to whats going on?  Could it be the fog messing with the GPS signal?  I forgot to look at how many satalites I had.

Thanks
Brian
2018-11-3
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.
2018-11-3
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Perhaps baro and vps had confusing readings.
Usually vps gets to "0", during a flight in higher altitude.
Fog can trigger readings in the <30 feet area, even if 100/200 feet up.
But usually that stops the bird from decending in normal speed, it gets stucked in slower "landing mode"
Upload the flight record, like msinger suggested and check it out, post the link in another post of you.
Have you been in Sport?
2018-11-3
Use props
Twistedlarch
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

msinger Posted at 11-3 08:16
Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Sparky record 11/3/2018

I had this flight last night which was flawless.
Sparky record 11/2/2018

2018-11-3
Use props
msinger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Do you have any accessories installed beneath your drone (like extended landing gear)?
2018-11-3
Use props
Twistedlarch
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

msinger Posted at 11-3 09:06
Do you have any accessories installed beneath your drone (like extended landing gear)?

Yes, I have about 1" tall legs on each arm.  They've been on it for months without any issues.
2018-11-3
Use props
Twistedlarch
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Update....

The fog has lifted and Sparky is back to normal.  I guess I can't fly through fog

Thank you!
Brian
2018-11-3
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya,

As others have said "FOG" and i agree with them ; and it shows in the chart

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2018-11-3
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

Page 46 of the user manual states "Do not use the aircraft in severe weather conditions. These include wind speeds exceeding 10 m/s , snow, rain & fog."

Basically, the vision system detects the fog as ground. This can be seen in the log with the erratic VPS altitude readings v's the IMU altitude.  

From personal experience, descending through the edge of a low cloud,  Spark becomes confused & turned off the downward sensor.  During auto landing, Spark failed to slow down & landed harder than normal..
Apart from the hard landing, Spark was always controllable - lucky,  Spark didn't attempt to actually land on the cloud!
My logs showed when the VPS detected the cloud & turned off the downward sensor. The final IMU altitude logged was 12 ft when it should show 0 ft - Spark was on the ground.  Accumulated error?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertial_measurement_unit

Any reflective surfaces below Spark may also cause problems. Be careful over water & snow.
Good luck & safe flying.
2018-11-4
Use props
Flighty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

Twistedlarch Posted at 11-3 09:57
Update....

The fog has lifted and Sparky is back to normal.  I guess I can't fly through fog

Had the same symptoms when I tried to fly through fog, which resulted in a heavy, hard landing. Also had a Sensor Error message. Did you perhaps have any message related to the Sensor??
2018-11-5
Use props
Twistedlarch
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Flighty Posted at 11-5 00:28
Had the same symptoms when I tried to fly through fog, which resulted in a heavy, hard landing. Also had a Sensor Error message. Did you perhaps have any message related to the Sensor??

No error messages what so ever.
2018-11-5
Use props
msinger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Twistedlarch Posted at 11-3 09:57
The fog has lifted and Sparky is back to normal.  

It sounds like you found the cause of the issue.

Unfortunately, the Landing Protection setting cannot be disabled in DJI GO when flying the Spark. That needs to be turned off in order to prevent those unwanted altitude changes.
2018-11-5
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Valuable thread.... thanks to everyone who looked at it and shared interpretations.  I learn, and learn, and learn :-)
2018-11-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules